Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just joined up so might be a bit rusty but am ex GWC and several years R/O with Alfred Holts on Blue Funnel and Glen line ships. Are there any other ex GWC radio officers out there ?

I recently have had a superb model made of the MV Laomedon and happy to share images of it.

John/Jack Walker

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
Welcome aboard John/Jack..
Went to Leith Nautical and also joined GTZB with Laomedon GPVP my first ship coasting in March 1956...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was home trade on Laomedon September 1960 for about 2 weeks. She was a beautiful ship.Then I went on Tantalus for a fantastic complete round the world voyage of 5 months ie Liverpool to Houston Texas to east coast US ports then Hong Kong etc and a fantastic trip home paying off in New York returning on the Queen Mary. My last ship was coasting on the Glenogle in 1963. I was 2 R/O on 15 Glen Line and Blue Funnel ships. It wasn't a long time with A Holts but it had a huge influence on my future life. After a year ashore as a technician with Scottish Hydro I was fed up and emigrated to Toronto, got into University and never looked back. Now at 79 and retired I live in a lovely small seaside town in Australia called Port Fairy, Victoria.

I had a superb model of the Laomedon built and once I have figured out how to add it to this email I'll end a photo of it.

Tell me more about yourself.

Jack

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just joined up so might be a bit rusty but am ex GWC and several years R/O with Alfred Holts on Blue Funnel and Glen line ships. Are there any other ex GWC radio officers out there ?

I recently have had a superb model made of the MV Laomedon and happy to share images of it.

John/Jack Walker
My Father was a chief officer with the Blue funnel line and served on both blue funnel and Glen line ships

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I was home trade on Laomedon September 1960 for about 2 weeks. She was a beautiful ship.Then I went on Tantalus for a fantastic complete round the world voyage of 5 months ie Liverpool to Houston Texas to east coast US ports then Hong Kong etc and a fantastic trip home paying off in New York returning on the Queen Mary. My last ship was coasting on the Glenogle in 1963. I was 2 R/O on 15 Glen Line and Blue Funnel ships. It wasn't a long time with A Holts but it had a huge influence on my future life. After a year ashore as a technician with Scottish Hydro I was fed up and emigrated to Toronto, got into University and never looked back. Now at 79 and retired I live in a lovely small seaside town in Australia called Port Fairy, Victoria.

I had a superb model of the Laomedon built and once I have figured out how to add it to this email I'll end a photo of it.

Tell me more about yourself.

Jack
We may have crossed somewhere I spent most of 1960 on the Ulysses. Not quite the same as yours. I did two trips on the Far East to East Coast US. It then changed to around the world but I had done my time and was relieved in Hong Kong and repatriated on the Alcinous, we arrived back in UK on Boxing Day. I live on the Mornington Peninsula,must.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts