Ships Nostalgia banner

121 - 140 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi All,

Sipsoo finally back after having to re-register, now going by the username of Nessie.

Does anyone have any footage of the old gals? I saw one on youtube of the Tokyo being launched.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xFNcDNgOrU

There are a few more pics being posted on the tinternet these days but could you dig any out of your old treasure chests lads..

Thanks

Ken aka Nessie

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi, Dave Phipps here, for Bill Rhatigan, info on Walter Bennett from Glasgow. I was an Apprentice with Walter in Glasgow, we joined the MN together, I went to Chevron tankers and he went to Globtic. When he was made redundant from Globtic he came ashore and worked as an engine builder in the bus central repair depot in Glasgow. He got a better paid job in a railway repair depot in Glasgow but was very badly hurt when a heavy boagy fell off a gantry and landed on top of him. He was only saved by a passing forklift truck which swerved in and lifted the load off him after a few seconds. He received a big compen payment but was never able to work again. He and his wife bought a b&m in Ayr Scotland and I believe are still there. A really nice guy, very sad.
Dave Phipps., Ex Chevron, Ocl,containerships.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Globtik Tokyo

Hello,

I am hoping that some of you may be able to assist me with my enquiry re an Australian crew member by the name of David P Thomas. I have been told that he was on the Globtik Tokyo and that at sometime he had to take the ship out of harbour to begin it's journey as there was a problem with the Captain.

Not sure if the Captain was sick or just AWOL.

David was also, again, so I have been told, on the Troll at sometime.

Hoping that you might be able to point me in the right direction as my source has been a little bit vague.

Love Ships Nostalgia and reading the remarks/stories of those who have been involved with the sea.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was on that ship when it happened, it was a US submarine that casevaced him. Believe he was painting bulkheads in the engine room when he slipped and hit his head and then went a bit loopy and had to be subdued by some of the crew until help could arrive.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi Nessie,

Thank you very much for that information. I don't suppose you can recall the name of the crew member who took the ship out?

I shall take a look at the Facebook website that you mentioned.

Vicki D.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello,

I just read through some of these posts about the Globtik-Times on board and I thought that maybe one can give me a hint where to find plans of one of these two tankers. I am going to build a small scale display model of one of them and seeking shipyard plans (GA Plans and linesplans/bodyplans, or hull construction plans of foreship, stern, aft, engine area and midship). I searched through the digital archive of the Greenwich Maritime Museum, without result. I expected something there, since first of all it is located in UK and second, they keep a very large collection of merchant vessel plans.
There is a large model displayed in a technical museum in UK, but I doubt they do have drawings.
At the moment I do not recall any other archive that could keep some drawings of them. Great looking vessels with typical Japanese design. I wonder how the interior was, the accommodation.

Cheers,

Axel

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hello,

I just read through some of these posts about the Globtik-Times on board and I thought that maybe one can give me a hint where to find plans of one of these two tankers. I am going to build a small scale display model of one of them and seeking shipyard plans (GA Plans and linesplans/bodyplans, or hull construction plans of foreship, stern, aft, engine area and midship). I searched through the digital archive of the Greenwich Maritime Museum, without result. I expected something there, since first of all it is located in UK and second, they keep a very large collection of merchant vessel plans.
There is a large model displayed in a technical museum in UK, but I doubt they do have drawings.
At the moment I do not recall any other archive that could keep some drawings of them. Great looking vessels with typical Japanese design. I wonder how the interior was, the accommodation.

Cheers,

Axel
Hi Axel,

Perhaps the firm in Japan that built the Globtik might be able to help with your search. If you Google Globtik and go to the entry on Wikipedia it gives all the details re the firm that built it, they are now known as IHI Corporation. Hope this helps.

Maybe some of the members of this site who were crew members will contact you with further information.

Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello Vicky,

thanks for your reply! I did a search on the IHI website, but I cannot get to find a link to their shipping field. I even do not know if they are still active with shipbuilding, at least the site in Kure. Miramar Ship Index gives 2017 built vessels by another yard name, maybe it is still the same in Kure. Through records I found that both vessels were all the time under NK class. Maybe this is a way to get to the basic plans, but I doubt they will provide anything, anyway it is worth a try.

Cheers,

Axel

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello my name is Paul Gregory, I am the youngest son of Geoff Gregory and sailed on both the Venus and London as a small boy with my family. I stumbled across this site whilst doing some searching to show my children. I have noticed lots of people asking for photos, I have my parents collection and it looks like one great big party! And that’s how I remember it friendly and fun. I can post some - but where too?

Cheers
PG

·
Registered
198 Posts
If they are photos of crew etc post them in the gallery under Life on Board section, it they are photos of the ships post them in the gallery under Tankers section. I sailed with Geoff on the London in 1978 when we had a couple of weeks in Nagasaki due to rudder problems. There is a group on Facebook called unsurprisingly Globtik Tankers you could join that and post your photos there, would like to see them myself.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Globtik Venus

Hi All, new on here and trying to find out more information about my Grandfather, Joseph O’Connor, who I know worked on the Globtik Venus and other ships too from post WW2 - 1980s. Does anyone remember him? What can you tell me about his role, time etc on the ships? Many thanks, Laura

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Group,

I'm trying to find anyone who sailed on the Globtik Tokyo and Globtik London.. I sailed on both during the late 70's and had a great time. Alos looking for any photos of them for my collection.

Regards,

Ken
sailed with the Chief Cook Bob Thompson, known better as Globtik Bob ,was a Geordie ,brilliant Cook, was with him in the Falkland war

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi all. Glad to see people still posting on this thread. I've just caught up with all the messages, ( not a lot else going on at the mo ) I remember the name Ian Gore,( Scouse ) I have been going through old pics and have quite a few of the Tokyo and London, crew etc. Have recently made contact with John Parry ex of Wallasey area, now in Denver. He was catering boy when I was on my 3rd Globtik trip ( 1st on London ) Great to hear there is quite a few of us left. Anyone know if Brian Bush or Billy Potts are still about, or did the very cheap Sapporo do for them. Cheers all Rob ( Prestatyn )

·
Registered
15 Posts
Globtik

Hi rob I was on the same time as you did biscuit use to stay in your cabin .? Frankie cobb was the bosun I remember bushy and potsy two great guys those were the good old days do you remember a bloke from Liverpool john Fitzpatrick? I wish I could do it all over again . Stay safe rob

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hiya Steve ( Edmond ) I remember the black and white stripy budgie smugglers ! I have tried to join the FB page that you are on, got the link from further back in this thread thingy, but it just says I'm pending, admin must not have noticed. Have found a bunch of pics of the lads, Frank Cobb, Phil Upton erm, erm... ( inc you ) from those good old days. Yep, feeling quite nostalgic about those big old girls, never had it so good. Think your only up the road from me in Prestatyn. Great to hear from you. If I can get on the FB, we can have a catch up. Cheers mate. Rob

·
Registered
28 Posts
Should find me ok, Rob Armstrong it says Prestatyn in the box, my profile pic is me ( still with long hair ) and my wife Julie ( formal night ). Be good to catch up. Cheers

121 - 140 of 140 Posts