Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I will be visiting Aruba and Curacao in October does anyone have any good bars or dives they can steer me to.
Or tell me to stay clear of.
John (*)) (*))

·
Premium Member
14,864 Posts
Charlies bar in Aruba, DO NOT wear a tie in there otherwise it be cut off and strung up, if you have a business card take one with you,and put it on the wall, that is if you can find a space.the walls and ceiling are covered completely with odds and ends.
He also does a tee shirt suitably inscribed.

·
Registered
606 Posts
(*)) (*)) Isn't it called Campagnola or something like that? Not that I ever went, but the Filipino crew seemed to enjoy it there. Can't possibly imagine what went on!! I was there on a cable ship in 2001 and seem to remember that Wilemstad town was quite expensive but there were plenty of little bars and a few clubs outside the main town that were very good

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
John,
I lived in Curacao quite some years back and it is part of the ABC Islands (Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao) belonging to The Netherlands (colony), except Aruba separated 15 years ago but is still connected.
Official language is Dutch, but local language is Papiamento (mixture of Portuguese/Spanish/Dutch/English), don't worry everybody speaks English too.
Where others refer to is called : Campo Allegro (meaning: The Happy Camp), which is at walking distance from the airport and airport is 15 min drive to the city.
Campo Allegro is a plot with old army barracks which houses "young ladies" from Colombia and Santo Domingo who get a 3 months "tourist visa" during which time they remain in the camp.
Only "men" are allowed as visitors and you get checked upon entry by guards, all legitamite by the way.

Can you check for me if unit 45 has changed the wallpaper ? It was sort of a murky brown at the time.......

Going to the city, then you find a series of bars at walking distance from the centre and the hotels both in Aruba and Curacao, all along the beaches, are first class.

All your friends at SN now look forward to a written report from you in due course. Any sensative material may be sent to me by PM.

I wish you "Happy Times"
Jan

·
Registered
11,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jan was the wallpaper in unit 45 on the ceiling.???
I will be docking on the M.S. Zaandam so I wont be near the airport.
P.S. R58484956 Will I get a discount if I mention you name at Charies. Thank all for the leads. John

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Yes John both on the ceiling and even in the bathroom, same colour all over the place.

It takes you 15 minutes from the port to this happy camp and by taxi it'll cost you today , say max 10 USD, not a big sum just to check the wallpaper for me.
What are friends for at SN
Cheers
Jan

·
Registered
11,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All I have to do is convince my better half that we are shopping for wallpaper, if she knew the truth I will shopping for some new family jewels.

·
Registered
11,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes I remember that trend many years ago when in Jamaica,when the fleet arrived including the marines the price of everything went up. A few of the old bars in Kingston had two prices one for us on the banana boats, (who practically lived in the bar) and the new arrivals. Back then Coke was more than the rum,especially the white rum.

·
Registered
18,770 Posts
Jan, you paint a pretty picture - I'm tempted to pack my bags!

John R - "Geeststar" had a jolly boat, complete with outboard motor. On return from a jaunt to the beach in Grenada we ran out of fuel. We were in site of the ship but had had a 'tiring' day, the thought of paddling was a bit daunting. Fortunately one enterprising soul ripped the fuel line out of the tank and the two remaining bottles of Mountgay rum got us home. Seemed the motor liked the stuff as much as we did! Neat, of course.

John T.

·
Registered
11,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That story reminds me of an Old British Film called "Whiskey Galor"
When cases of whiskey get washed ashore on the beaches of a northen fishing town in scotland, the locals are stealing the booze and are chased by customs, they put the booze in the fuel tank and out-run them. (Applause)

·
Registered
18,770 Posts
John Rogers said:
That story reminds me of an Old British Film called "Whiskey Galor"
When cases of whiskey get washed ashore on the beaches of a northen fishing town in scotland, the locals are stealing the booze and are chased by customs, they put the booze in the fuel tank and out-run them. (Applause)
The film was based on the book "Whisky Galore", written by Compton MacKenzie, which in turn was based on the real life stranding of SS 'Politician' on the isle of Eriskay in 1941.

The ship had been en route to the West Indies with a cargo of whisky and also currency, in the form of ten shilling notes. As well as 24,000 cases of scotch, all the money disappeared.

Not long afterwards, a few notes turned up in Liverpool and, before long, in Jamaica. The ship was owned by Harrisons of Liverpool and would have had a large proportion of Scousers on board. Harrisons of course were pre-eminent on the UK/ West Indies run.

It doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to put two and two together, does it? I reckon it wasn't only the islanders who scored out of that wreck!

John T.

·
Registered
120 Posts
i have never been a religous person but one place to visit in aruba is the little catholic church at the top of the island ifound it amazingly pretty peter lewis pagan

·
Registered
11,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A Welsh Pagan, interesting. last year while on tour of Germany I had enough of Churches and Castles. When Saint Peter checks me in he will see that I have entered many churches,Vineyards,and Brewery's,so I might get a free pass to enter the Pearly Gates.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Not one of you has mentioned West Point (Punt) Curacao. Ok Happy Valley (Allegro) whatever was the focal point of the 60's and yes I have been there, done that, got the T-Shirt. But dare I say female company was not always the issue. After a 6 week run up and down the East Coast I enjoyed going out to West Point for a days R&R. I just recently returned to this bay (March 2005) and memories came flooding back. After 43 years the place has not changed at all. My wife and friends who I had cajoled to join me on my trip of nostalgia took a back seat when we arrived because those memories were so so powerful.
Curacao is the best Island in the Caribbean. Don't go to any one bar, explore. You will be amazed at the beauty of the Island

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
On the way to West Point, go sideways and drive a bit in de "knoek" (pronounce knook), which is in the bush so to speak and where you see colourful but badly maintained local houses/cottages and Westpoint is less than half an hour drive outside the city, now there is a park called Christoffel Bay.
You can also visit the "houtjesbaai" which means "wooden bay" only wood and timber washes on the beach or go to the plastic bay as only plastic washes up here.
Doing these things then you do more than the average tourist who only goes there to lay on the beach in front of Hilton or whatever big hotel and forgetting their diets.
Jan

·
Bilge Rat
36,005 Posts
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

·
Registered
242 Posts
The ship was owned by Harrisons of Liverpool and would have had a large proportion of Scousers on board. Harrisons of course were pre-eminent on the UK/ West Indies run.

It doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to put two and two together, does it? I reckon it wasn't only the islanders who scored out of that wreck!

John T.

Typical stereotyping of scousers. If that comment was made to my face, rather than on a forum, you'd be waking up with a crowd around you. No doubt that would confirm your suspicion that we are also violent hooligans as well as thieves, and fail to consider the offensiveness of your remarks.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts