Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if any crew members from the gothic 1968 and the trip of the fire read this
it would be good to say hello again after so long.
a touch of sadness and pride also will always stay with me ,
a great crew that to a man I call shipmates that I am proud to have sailed with.
tony mullen, day work greaser.

·
Bilge Rat
36,005 Posts
Hi Tony, I do believe there are some aboard here mate. Hope you make contact soon.

·
Spongebob
9,385 Posts
Welcome aboard Tony.
Yes there is an ex Gothic member on the site, Terrance Williams an electrical engineer who goes by the site name of "Doric"
He served on Gothic during the Royal tour.
Type Doric into the home page search panel and you will get his details

Bob

·
Registered
251 Posts
Tony
Not me personally but a pal of mine - his father was there - Name of Calum Nicolson - you can contact his son Neil on here - goes by the name of Neil Nic

Good luck
Rgds
Uisdean

·
Registered
25 Posts
Gothic Fire

a great crew that to a man I call shipmates that I am proud to have sailed with.
Tony ,If you click on View (top left) go into members list, and find Duncan Montgomery, he,s about page 93-95, work forward from last page of "D,s" it,s quicker!!. on his page go into all his photographs and you will find a photo of the Gothic with her fire damaged bridge, if you scrol down under the photo there are comments relating to this incident.
besr regards, Hugh.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did an Electricain from Liverpool abandon ship and drown? anyone remember the incident?
Sure it was the Gothic about 1968?
no, an electrician did not abandon ship. the young electrician was a first
tripper from liverpool. he was overcome by the flames and was pushed
back against the handrail and lost balance,falling overboard in the middle of the night and lost . at the time it was pandamonium as the whole crew
had just been woken and were in a state of going to stations and grabbing hoses etc. a sad thing to witness as we were all helpless in pitch black
conditions in a force 5 wind and the ship well ablaze.
young scouse had no chance and we had a burial at sea for him and 6
others .
regards,tony mullen.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Thanks Tony sent email. The correct story is told. Was Lecky with PSNC at the time.
From litherland liverpool myself. Worked with friends who where close to Gothic people.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Tony sent email. The correct story is told. Was Lecky with PSNC at the time.
From litherland liverpool myself. Worked with friends who where close to Gothic people.
hi michael, I was on psnc the somers isle for a couple of trips in 69
by memory and she had a scouse crew but I joined in london.
good run,gulf of mexico ex. you may have been on that one also.
regards tony mullen.

·
Registered
16 Posts
i sailed with tom hay on zealandic he was ab on the gothic that trip. he was going to get double dr but i believe he was given a reprove after his effort while fighting the fire.we new him as the mad sheltie do you remember him
cheers for now
lowrie ewen

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i sailed with tom hay on zealandic he was ab on the gothic that trip. he was going to get double dr but i believe he was given a reprove after his effort while fighting the fire.we new him as the mad sheltie do you remember him
cheers for now
lowrie ewen
hello mate, I know tommy hay ,but he wasn't on the gothic that trip of the fire. a nice guy tommy,I sailed with him on the carnatic and the sussex
by memory. he was a character a shelty and well liked.
tony.

·
Registered
11 Posts
no, an electrician did not abandon ship. the young electrician was a first
tripper from liverpool. he was overcome by the flames and was pushed
back against the handrail and lost balance,falling overboard in the middle of the night and lost . at the time it was pandamonium as the whole crew
had just been woken and were in a state of going to stations and grabbing hoses etc. a sad thing to witness as we were all helpless in pitch black
conditions in a force 5 wind and the ship well ablaze.
young scouse had no chance and we had a burial at sea for him and 6
others .
regards,tony mullen.
Hi Tony I too can vouch that the electrician did not abandon ship. I was an engineer on her and was on a fire hose on port side when he pushed past me trying to help. One of the saloon windows (large square windows) blew out when he was right in the path of it.It blew him Overboard. That was a sad day indeed with a total of seven deaths.
regards johnmac

·
Registered
34 Posts
I believe a mate of mine, Brian Jordan, was on Gothic at the time of the fire, he was a greaser, sadly he crossed the bar a few years ago. He was from Doncaster, aquiet lad but straight as a die.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Tony. Sorry I’m about 10 years late. My name is Steve Allen. I was 7th engineer on the Gothic at the time of the fire, promoted to 5th engineer afterwards. Contrary to some reports, I stayed with the ship until she was scrapped. That is, I sailed on her to NZ and return, then on the final trip via the Cape and Australia to Taiwan where we left her in Kaohsiung for scrap. I was a good friend of Col Wicking, 2nd engineer. He even lent me his Jaguar. I remember your name.
I have lived in Australia (Darwin) for many years. Now retired.
Steve.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts