Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1973, Gowanbank at anchor and discharging into barges.

The buoys and chains we discharged near Sorong, West Irian, was in Sele Strait (buoys directly into water and chains to LCT) were for a project for Phillips petroleum who had found lots of oil and the moorings designed to secure a T2 tanker as storage.

Our Charterer was TransAmerica . We were there two weeks, many trips to the Paradise night club were made! Also many excursions in the ships lifeboat. Great times.

I wonder if any people on here were there?

Attachments

·
Registered
234 Posts
Great set of pics. I cant believe they used to pay us to go to places like that and swan about in the lifeboat. Did much the same loading copra at Vavau.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Yes great pictures of a fun day out on the lifeboats many of us can relate to.
Hot weather and cold beers onboard.
My memory is of cruising the length of some Caribbean beach being bombed with coconuts by some of the crew on the sands.

Good times

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This was my second trip to sea aged 21 yo. No PC in those days (thank god) and not a lifejacket in sight. Not likely to happens these days unfortunately.

It was a world unseen by me hence the photos. I just wish that I had taken more during my time at sea.

They were great times.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I was on Gowanbank the following year - 1974; not such a good trip - judging by the happy smiling faces in the photos - but it's all 'life enhancing' to use the modern expression!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was on Gowanbank the following year - 1974; not such a good trip - judging by the happy smiling faces in the photos - but it's all 'life enhancing' to use the modern expression!
I paid off in Manila on 4/12/73. I don't think that the 3rd or 2nd mate paid off. Picture here of them Davis Lorrimer and Peter Boyd. They may have still have been onboard when you joined.

Attachments

·
Registered
234 Posts
I paid off in Manila on 4/12/73. I don't think that the 3rd or 2nd mate paid off. Picture here of them Davis Lorrimer and Peter Boyd. They may have still have been onboard when you joined.
I sailed with both of them at later dates on different ships. Happy days/Different life

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Happy days/Different life
Isn't that the truth.

I never kept in touch with Davis but did with Peter. He is now in Malaya and still in the marine industry. Pictured here in New Zealand, Davis and his kiwi girlfriend, Carla, who later became his fiancee (not sure where that went). and myself, photo taken by my kiwi girlfriend!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Super nostalgia and great pictures - I'm sure we can all identify with that golden era of ships and "going away". Keep them coming.

BW

J(Gleam)(Gleam)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Isn't that the truth.

I never kept in touch with Davis but did with Peter. He is now in Malaya and still in the marine industry. Pictured here in New Zealand, Davis and his kiwi girlfriend, Carla, who later became his fiancee (not sure where that went). and myself, photo taken by my kiwi girlfriend!
I sailed with Davis a couple of years after that when he was Mate. I dont remember Carla(Whaaa). He had a great turn of phrase----
F_ing Dick---Some silly born bastard thinks hes on his daddys yacht!(Jester)

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
If my memory is correct I remember Davis although it's possible I met him elsewhere because we joined Gowanbank on a dark and stormy night (to coin a phrase) at around 2100 on 8th February 1974 at some obscure bulk terminal in Rotterdam in the middle of a bunkering overflow! I don't actually recall a handover from anyone so perhaps they had already left the ship. Of Peter Boyd I know nothing I'm afraid. As soon as we were able it was out to anchor in a gale 8 to await orders and I remember one of the liferafts (those square things on either side of the bridge deck) blowing off the port side. Thence to Emden to load VW cars for Houston, then US Gulf to Aussie, then sugar to Singapore, then timber to Reunion, then South African ports to load for WCSA and to pay off at Capetown on 18th October 1974.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts