Ships Nostalgia banner
561 - 580 of 616 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Syd nearest I can do is 1959 remember being locked in the store room one Saturday afternoon scrubbing the floor as others have said did no harm.all the best
Vinny Gugniewicz Still going strong, but not a great of interest on the Net. bit on Facebook, 1964 Greavesend then to sea,
wish you a Merry Christmas, and a happy new year.

(Thumb)(Thumb)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Cape Howe

I attended the NSTS Sept-Dec '68. I went down to the pool when I got back to South Shields and was given my first ship, the ore carrier Cape Howe. We sailed on the 17th Dec, 4 days before my 17th birthday and I was away for 6 months on that first trip.

I don't remember many details about the sea school, I know I got in a bit of bother because I wasn't very good at doing my laundry. A couple of scouse lads used to pick on me about it, until one night they decided to apply boot polish to my privates. I put up quite a struggle, as you might guess! They were so impressed with my efforts that we were the best of pals for the rest of the course.

I must have improved my ironing because I was later made up to Leading Hand.

I don't remember any names from the course, but the school was run by a Captain Adlam? (not sure about spelling) at the time. I do remember that we nick-named the school rules book "The thoughts of Mao Tse Adlam" inspired by Mao's little Red book of the Chinese cultural revolution.

Rowing on the Thames is one memory I have retained, it was bl**dy cold!
Hi,
Just read your post with inetrest,i was at the sea school July 72 to November 72, and on the 24th November 1972 I joined my first ship in Newport ( south Wales ) and it to was the Cape Howe, my first job was to be the peggy for the week, well they had never even mentioned this role at Gravesend, it was a real shock along with all the other things that I was to witness in my new and early career,i managed 6 weeks or so on this fine ship before articles were closed and I was given the option of staying or leaving,i left as the ship was bound for Murmansk ( Russia ) and my body was telling me to head south for the warmer weather, which I did and things were pretty dam good after that I managed 7 years in total, really enjoyed it,still work with ships today, but am shore based and have been for many years now. happy Christmas to all

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was at Gravesend 60/61. I had my card taken about 3 times over the 10 weeks
Scrub the yard for an hour at night. The officers entertained us over Christmas Time and we got a week off had to do an extra week though.My training officer was Mr Wilson great character.
It was hard but it was great did me the world of good

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was there in 62jan/March sailed out of tilbury on a worldie,march31st of 62,as a commie waiter on captains table,eventually became a head chef until 88,retired as ships were scarce

·
Registered
3 Posts
N.S.T.S.Gravesend

Hello all.I have lost my class photo from gravesend n.s.t.s. I am not sure of the exact date but it was 1959 deck class.My instructor was Tug Wilson.If anyone knows where i can get a copy please let me know.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Gravesend Sea School

Hello all.I have lost my class photo from gravesend n.s.t.s. I am not sure of the exact date but it was 1959 deck class.My instructor was Tug Wilson.If anyone knows where i can get a copy please let me know.
Hi Richard, I was there in 1959 finished end of October, Higgins was my instructor, can`t remember having a class photo. Were you there for the Seamans Service at St. Pauls I was in the Colour Party. I also had coloured pens and drew tatoos on the lads arms. Regards T.C. You`re the first name I have seen who was there in 59.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Gravesend 1979.

Hi Richard, I was there in 1959 finished end of October, Higgins was my instructor, can`t remember having a class photo. Were you there for the Seamans Service at St. Pauls I was in the Colour Party. I also had coloured pens and drew tatoos on the lads arms. Regards T.C. You`re the first name I have seen who was there in 59.
Thanks for that T.C. I left end of july,must have been the class before yours.While i was there we put on a boxing tournament on the promenade I dont know what the occasion was but it was a big day in gravesend.The same weekend we traveled to Eltham and did the same there,this was all organised by our P.T.I.a small but muscular Liverpudlian,do you remember him?I got friendly with a lovely local girl named Kathleen she would throw cigies over the gate when i was on guard duty,ah what fond memories.With regards to the class photo,I have one but having put it somewhere for safe keeping cant find it.Thanks again for your reply,all the best .Richard.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Gravesend 1959

Thanks for that T.C. I left end of july,must have been the class before yours.While i was there we put on a boxing tournament on the promenade I dont know what the occasion was but it was a big day in gravesend.The same weekend we traveled to Eltham and did the same there,this was all organised by our P.T.I.a small but muscular Liverpudlian,do you remember him?I got friendly with a lovely local girl named Kathleen she would throw cigies over the gate when i was on guard duty,ah what fond memories.With regards to the class photo,I have one but having put it somewhere for safe keeping cant find it.Thanks again for your reply,all the best .Richard.
I had put the wrong year.Should have been 1959.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Went to the 'factory' Janurary76 to April 76, Still have my old watchcard T class - berth 4c. so if anyone found any money under the bunk after i left ?.. I want it back !
One incident sticks in my mind from my time there is when a bunch of us were called out to help rescue a horse that had fell into the canal. lt was a very cold wintry night and we were up to our knees in mud but thankfuly they were able to save the poor thing. I have great memories from the place and the lads i met while there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was at the N S T S ,Gravesend from the first week in Jan 61 to mid March 61,a Mr Higgins was the Instructor,never for got my time there, in winter .But i have to say,it set me up for a lot of life experience 's ,I now live in Western Australia,have done for many years.Any body still a round from that time Sollihull

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have just seen your post Zulusmith 21, you where a month behind me,at the School, i remember your self there, and you being very sick at the time,you would have to be the first one on here from that time,that i remember.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Was there sept-nov 74 gud laugh joined first ship end Nov 74 Br admiral still St sea for my sins 40yrs loved every minute deep sea

·
Registered
6 Posts
Gravesend Sea School June-sept 1974

Anyone out there go to Gravesend sea school? (the peanut factory!!!).I had some good laughs there, I was there December '80 till April '81, (X class). I belive the place has just about closed down now.
I was at the sea school as above my name is ian ockleford all i can say what a place but you got used to it? i will attach a photo of the class maybe someone recognizes themselves i am second row third from left

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
That would be the 5 star one the new one, we moved a lot of gear from the old one up there in 1966 it was like the Hilton Hotel compared to ours lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well i guess it was compared to old school but it was very basic still definitely an eye opener when your a young 16 year old but great memories....(Smoke)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yep i no what your saying only joking, there where some lads at are school jumped the wall and we never saw them again, there where no mobile phones in them days it was just a letter now and then, i did three months but when i look back we had some good laughs a great experience

·
Registered
10 Posts
Gravesend Sea School Denton

I went to Gravesend Sea School in 1968, September to December, I can't remember the class No; but I was in catering, I do remember that as a 6ft 2in lad I was made a leading hand, also I remember being picked to go to the MN Memorial at Tower Hill, where myself and all the other peanuts stood to attention as we met HRH The Duke of Edinburgh and other dignitaries, stood next to the Lord Mayor!!
Joined Tilbury Pool and my first ship was the British Gannet as a Catering Boy at the IOG, just right for me as I lived at Hoo.
Spent over 6 months on the Gannet and then went on to be one of John Nicholson's band of new breed Chief Cooks, after going to BP Llandarcy Refinery and Neath Tech Collage spent about seven years with BP at sea. Posted all my ships I served on site a few years ago.
Best Regards to all.
Del(Derek Smith) R870054

561 - 580 of 616 Posts