Ships Nostalgia banner
601 - 616 of 616 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone, my dad finished sea school at gravesend in 1948. He is still well and kicking in Australia (jumped ship SS Hymalya in about 1955) aged 88.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
X Class

I was there November 1970 to February 1971 Deck X class during the Postal strike so we got no food parcels or postal orders with money. As I came from all the way up in Jockland I had to stay over the Christmas break, lengthening my stay by two weeks. One bit of luck though my brother paid off a ship (he was a Vindie boy) in Tilbury during my stay and visited he left me a ten pound note which was a fortune. I suddenly became the most popular guy in our dorm (16). It toughened me up and I stayed at sea until 1986.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was at Gravesend sea school in March 71 on deck in Z35 class, , first ship was Cunards "RMS Carmania", did a few 28 day trips on her then went onto the Mv Stonepool for Ropners, had a great time on her then onto The SS Roatan " Fyffes" even better trip in her, then onto MV Sheaf Field for a short trip then onto the OBO Mv Tynebridge for a couple of trips I finished of in 1979 to pursue a career in Offshore Air and Mixed Gas Diving in the oil and gas industry were I still am today. great memories

Ive just checked my discharge book and I made a mistake with the dates I was at Gravesend SS, it was Jan to May 1970 on Deck Z35.
R887901

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Sid,
You are not the only one alive from that year. I was their 28/07/58--05/09/ 58R695469. Remember it well and i know that the discipline and training i.e dhobing, ironing, cleanliness in all aspects along with confidence and pride in oneself shaped me for the rest of my life. A good friend of mine did MN and national service and told me that the latter was easy after doing vindy which i believe was on par with Gravesend. I allways say to my wife when we see yougsters (the few louts that are about) that they should go away to sea school and come back better people. Wifey agrees.
REGARDS TERRY
I went to the NSTS Gravesend as a Catering trainee 12-8-57 to 20-9-57 - R681976. Served on the TSS Ocean Monarch from 3-10-57 to 15-9-58.

·
Registered
27 Posts
gravesend sea training school

I was there 1966-67.I started out as Cook and was moved to waiting
as there was a mix up with the numbers. The pillow fight raids were
a sight to behold. Never did manage to reach more than a few dorms in. The food parcels where if you were lucky you managed to fish out a
packet of cigs before you were jumped on.I can remember being given my uniform. Andy pandy jacket and dungarees.
Straight into the shower to get them to shrink
Being in the queue for the haircut and some of the lads refusing and going home.
My time there was pretty good.Good bunch of classmates.
I joined an ore carrier for my sins as my first trip to sea.
Did not see that coming.I was thinking cruise ships ect.
Spent eighteen and a half years at sea in total.Great times
Hello Lads.I have a photo of my class from this time.I cannot remember if i posted it on the site.I am hoping to have all the names for the classmates in the image.If i am successful i will post it again on here.(y)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Anyone out there go to Gravesend sea school? (the peanut factory!!!).I had some good laughs there, I was there December '80 till April '81, (X class). I belive the place has just about closed down now.
My old Dad was there 1930,,,I have his badge somewhere in the family archives.He did a couple of trips deck boy in the Jersey City,,,and one to Australia in the Pennington Court,,I have his unfinished diary from the Pennington Court where it seems he spent the trip wheelbarrowing coal from one of the hatches to the coal bunkers.After that due to the depression he joined the Navy as a 9 year man,,,He finished his time just in time for WW2,,so they kept him on for "term of hostilities" and finally got out in 1945 after surviving two sinkings,"Gurkha" and "Prince Of Wales"and seeing the "Hood" disappear in a cloud of smoke.He seldom spoke of these things,and then only a few words.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Anyone out there go to Gravesend sea school? (the peanut factory!!!).I had some good laughs there, I was there December '80 till April '81, (X class). I belive the place has just about closed down now.
Yes i went 1973.cateringi had a great time.closed now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I attended the NSTS Sept-Dec '68. I went down to the pool when I got back to South Shields and was given my first ship, the ore carrier Cape Howe. We sailed on the 17th Dec, 4 days before my 17th birthday and I was away for 6 months on that first trip.

I don't remember many details about the sea school, I know I got in a bit of bother because I wasn't very good at doing my laundry. A couple of scouse lads used to pick on me about it, until one night they decided to apply boot polish to my privates. I put up quite a struggle, as you might guess! They were so impressed with my efforts that we were the best of pals for the rest of the course.

I must have improved my ironing because I was later made up to Leading Hand.

I don't remember any names from the course, but the school was run by a Captain Adlam? (not sure about spelling) at the time. I do remember that we nick-named the school rules book "The thoughts of Mao Tse Adlam" inspired by Mao's little Red book of the Chinese cultural revolution.

Rowing on the Thames is one memory I have retained, it was bl**dy cold!
I attended NSTS Sept-Dec 1968. learned a lot in a short time. Remember rowing the lifeboat up the Thames to a pub where we had to wait for the tutors to have a few pints. That was the lifeboat training for the week. Joined my first ship in Le Havre, MV Demeterton Chapman and Willan, bulk grain to China. Was Peggy month on month off. Deck crew were all from Stornaway. :confused:
Made lot of friends at NSTS, wish I Ihad stayed in touch. Only tutor I remember , "Rashbrook" right tyrant.

Exams boxing magnetic compass. All in all NSTS was very good preparation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Timo,

I was in X class 8th September 1980 to 12th December 1980. As you would of been walking in the place, I was on the way out to the train station. I would of been one of those shouting the saying "Peanuts your never going home" which was part of the banter at the time. By the time they were cutting your hair off, I would be at home.

"One more wakey wakey. One more rise and shine. One more bowl of frosties and freedom will be mine" (sung to the tune of Rule Brittania)

The term "Peanut" I was told derived back in the early days of the the school when a peanut seller used to sell his wares along the road down to the sea school, shouting "Peanuts" for sale. The name was then adopted by the inmates.

·
Registered
5 Posts
X Class

I was there November 1970 to February 1971 Deck X class during the Postal strike so we got no food parcels or postal orders with money. As I came from all the way up in Jockland I had to stay over the Christmas break, lengthening my stay by two weeks. One bit of luck though my brother paid off a ship (he was a Vindie boy) in Tilbury during my stay and visited he left me a ten pound note which was a fortune. I suddenly became the most popular guy in our dorm (16). It toughened me up and I stayed at sea until 1986.
Gravesend 1959

I had put the wrong year.Should have been 1959.
I was there 13 Apr 1959 till 22 May 1959. I was the Bugler and had privilages, which would have meant using the public toilets and not had to use the very communal toiiets provided by the School. Does anyone remember them?

Open to the elements and anyone passing through to the drying room, actually having a dump became quite a social occasion.

Like many I had believed that the school had been a woman's prison and the primitive toilets seemed to prove it. However if the conditions were good enough for us in the late 1950's they must been deemed perfectly adequate for a 19th Century "Doss House"

I remember Higgins. a short stocky bloke ex RN. He used to take us Marching on the Prom. His marching didn't come up to the standard I was used to in the Sea Cadets. Another Deck Instructor, who took for our Lifeboat bit, was nick-named "Wagon Train" because he like Ward Bond. Our Catering Instructor was Mr Lawrence.

There was a Boxing Match against the "Vindi"

·
Registered
5 Posts
Was at Gravesend Aug/Sept/Oct 1959 Higgins was instructor remember Haskins, got crossed anchors and was part of colour party, slow marched colours length of St. Pauls Cath. at Seamans rememberance service Oct. Used to get food parcels from home, sugar for the porridge and cakes was everybodies friend, also made money drawing tatoos on the lads arms 3d and 6d a time.
I was at the Sea School in March-April 1959II

·
Registered
3 Posts
i was at gravesend last week of july up to first week september 1962 and wondered if any my old class mates are still about, i am looking for the old class photo if anybody has one thanks

601 - 616 of 616 Posts