Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some 40 years on, seeking any other ex GCFE/GCOT PMG students who were there between 1965 and 1968. I know there are a few around in the forums but I'm sure there must be more. Give us a call if/when you can....

Alan Marsden

·
Registered
596 Posts
Alan,

Greetings

I was at GCFE from 1963 until 1967. Your name does not ring a bell.

Best regards

Dave Woods.

Some 40 years on, seeking any other ex GCFE/GCOT PMG students who were there between 1965 and 1968. I know there are a few around in the forums but I'm sure there must be more. Give us a call if/when you can....

Alan Marsden

·
Registered
18,780 Posts
Grimsby Tech

Alan, I was confused by the GCFE/GCOT at first - thought they were callsigns!

Anyway, you know me, but just for info, I've just found out that Messrs Mills and Townsend are still plodding on but Frank Webber died a few years ago.

John T.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Geez - there must be some of you lot out there! let's hear from you guys....
Alan,
I was a deck cadet there from 1961-63 then back again in '66 for second mates. A friend of mine owns a gallery in Cleethorpes and he was there along with his brother....Tyrone and Bob Bunce. Did you know them? I'll mention your name when I see them next.
Someone sent me an article about Pico Mills, so I'll try and track it down.
Regards
Steve www.trawlerart.com

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Dave, John & Steve - I was sure there must have a been a few dotted around the place.

Can't believe that Mills and Townsend are still going but sad to hear of Frank Webber's passing. Always remember Townsend's morse - like music...never could emulate it.

Dave - your name does ring a bell but I'm afraid I'm having difficulty putting a face to it. I know - many have said that I am forgettable!

Thanks for the info on Mills, Steve. Do let me know if you find the article. Meanwhile, I am visiting UK from Oz in August and plan a couple of days in Grimsby to take some photos and visit old haunts. I'll look up your friends gallery whilst I'm there. Might even buy one of your pics to take home to Oz. Would be particularly interested in either Ross Kipling, Ross Juno or Ross Khartoum.

The attached pic is at the Hall of Residence in 1966. I am in the middle row on the right. I'll add some more in the gallery shortly.

Very best regards to you all
Alan

Attachments

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Hi Alan,
Ty's gallery is on the corner of Sea View St and Cambridge St Cleethorpes. I'm sure he'd be pleased to meet you.
All the best
Steve

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have just returned from a trip back to the UK from Oz and incorporated a 'Haj' back to Grimsby and Cleethorpes to tread some old tracks for a day. The college and Hall of Residence look exactly the same save for a few additions and extensions over time. The Victoria St annex where we went sailing on Wednesday afternoons has now gone and replaced with a "Burger King"

Sadly, the Fish Docks and lower town around Riby Square etc look very sad and neglected. It was almost as though, when the fishing industry collapsed, they just turned and walked away from the place. I had half expected the Fish Docks and North Wall to have been transformed into industrial parks etc but it just looks dilapidated and abandoned. Knowing how vibrant the place was when I was there in the 60's it was little short of heartbreaking to see the state of the place as it is now.

Here are a handful of pix - I have more if anyone is interested to see.

Cheers
Alan Marsden

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'll re-introduce this thread and see if there are any ex Grimsby bodies about now. Where are you guys?

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Forgive this intrusion from a non-Grimsby type, but curious about a name mentioned in posts 4 and 7 above.

Frank Webber.

Was he one of the instructors? I'm curious as we had an instructor of the same name (full name Franklin R Webber) when I was at Wray Castle in '58/'59 and have a feeling it may be the same.

·
Registered
18,780 Posts
I'm pretty sure that Grimsby Frank's name was spelt Weber (as in Capacitance) - he was a bit stern, but a great teacher. Sadly, he died a few years ago.

John T.

·
Registered
18,780 Posts
at fleetwood we were taught the Weber was the unit of magnetic flux ...........

maybe thats where we went wrong.

:)
Oh no, you got me, Sparkie! I must have been approaching my max capacity and got mixed up with Mr Farad. Don't blame my mistake on Frank's teaching, it was all my own.

John T.

·
Registered
23,019 Posts
well........

it was a long time ago john.........:)

i surprised myself to be honest....... i didnt have much call for calculating
magnetic flux density and such when at sea.
amazing how much info was drilled into us........and how much has stuck

1 - 20 of 100 Posts