Ships Nostalgia banner
41 - 60 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Chris Rayfield

I started the PMG course at Grimsby in Sept '63 and was in the same class as Jim Sansbury and Adrian Lungenmuss. I remember them, and all the people they mention, well. I was one of the crowd who lived in the YMCA although I moved into digs in the second term. Others in the YM were Martin Perry, Steve Goldsbrough, Bob Shaw, Stuart Robertson and Phil Harley. There were two classes, the younger chaps were taught by Mr Wilson (Bob Wilson) and the older ones by Leslie "Pico" Mills. After Christmas Pico took the Specials and Wilson took the slimmed down PMG class. A year later when the results of the Part 1 exam came out, Wilson came into the classroom and announced that everyone in the room at that moment had passed the Part 1 (17 out of 18). Gus Smith was the one who didn't get through. I don't know what happened to him.

In 1989 I was in Grimsby on business and phoned Captain Keene (Sidney). He was living in a portable home at Swinhope near Binbrook, a widower by then and retired but still involved in nautical training. In this connection he had some contact with the Chamber of Shipping for which I was working at the time. He told me that Bob Wilson had died sometime previously; I think it was a brain tumour. Pico was still alive then and living in Louth.

Bob Shaw and Stuart Robertson were particular friends of mine. They have both been out in New Zealand for some years now and I am still in touch with them. Ray Holborn lived in Southend-on-Sea the last time I was in touch with him.

In the late 1980s I briefly made contact again with Bill Lusher. He was featured in an article in one of the weekend colour magazines about people who built their own houses. I eventually tracked him down, somewhere near Milton Keynes. He was working for the C.A.A. Funny thing was, although we had been quite good friends at Grimsby, when I phoned him he couldn't remember me from Adam!

·
Registered
18,780 Posts
Alan, a generous offer but the Nautical Department of the college is long gone unfortunately.

I obtained Les Mills' address a couple of years ago (from Chris Hill another ex GY student)s and wrote to him. Received a nice reply from him - he was still in Louth but moving from his house to an old folks home across the road.

Frank Weber and Mr Townsend, who you may also recall, died some time ago.

John T.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Paul Williamson

I attended gcot nautical college 66 till 67 for catering and was in the Hall of Residence for 1 year,cant remember names.john chowder? from Leeds, perhaps ? dawson. Most residents where Radio operators .Can anyone remember the ghost episode in one Dorm?.which the conclusion was that years before some one had hung themselves in that room at the Hall of Residence,or was it a Hoax I still remeber the carpet spinning! and no one admitted anything to the Commander. Paul

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was at Grimsby in 67, at the hall of residence with Esmerelda and Quasimodo (Cmdr Shiels and wife) for deck pre-sea, then in 71 for 2nd mates and 73 for mates
I went to sea with Reardon-Smiths,
I remember Dawson, George ? both went with Bank Line; Ian Roberts, Dave Booth

·
Registered
9 Posts
Deck Pre sea 1968

I also admit to being there and held my 18th birthday in the Wheatsheaf
pub just down the road.In 44 years only ever met Andy Griffin (past away) and Duncan Callendar from the class of '98.
I can remember a few names but need a clue to remember more!

Spent my last 6 years at sea before retirement Dredging and Grimsby was on our schedule so I made the complete cycle - from start to end!

Andy Lucas

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is anyone in touch with Stuart Robertson who was at grimsby nautical college and was a radio officer. And was there I think in1968? He is my cousin. He married a New Zealand girl called Lois and emigrated to NZ. His mother M.arjorie later moved there also. I would love to hear how he is and would be grateful for any info. My email is [email protected] and thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Charlie Swann GCOT 69 -71 MRGC/M242

Hi Everyone - I was just googling Grimsby Nautical College to see if it was still in action and found this board. A couple of the photo's have brought back memories...especially the picture of 61 Bargate... but unfortunately no one from my class seem to have logged in.....Chris Bunting, Dick Hill, Paul Peace, Mick Raynor, Mick Kirk, Mat Cooper and others who's names seem to have faded after 40 years. If anyone has any news please get in contact.

We were the first year/bunch to do the Marine Radio General Certificate which replaced the PMG - I don't remember Frank Webber being particularly strict although I do remember him once yelling at me during a morse lesson for not using "GM OM" commencing communication...I never forgot to use it after that...Sorry to hear he passed away....time seems to have flown by.
Regards to all....Charlie.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Charlie. I think I was initially in your class before the deck/radio separation took place? I certainly remember the names you quote. I ended up going on the GY trawlers until I foresaw the inevitable decline...and then farming until recently...now, well, still on the water messing about with yachts, particularly my own. Merry Christmas. John

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi John - I'm amazed I can't remember all the names and yet some things I do remember so vividly - As I recall Mick Kirk went onto the trawlers for a while until he could get back to do a re-sit for the MRGC exams. I bet that was a roller coaster ride. I remember being on big ships where your feet would leave the floor as she went back down...haha...I dread to think what it was like on a trawler....Anyway John I started there September 1969 and stayed in the Halls of Residence for the first year - Do you remember Mr. Haxley. He was quite a character. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Steve Barker calling

Thought I'd throw my two pennyworth in...............
Was just googling the old college, did the MRGC 76-79 then on to Hull for the Radar course. Then wrote to 193 shipping companies globally and then the realisation that the shipping industry was in decline. Nothing turned up, even the General Secretary of the REOU wrote (in reply to my question why they allowed radio companies to advertise in the Signal when there were no jobs !) advising that myself and fellow classmates should grasp any job ashore with both hands as they could not foresee any of us gaining employment as seagoing R/O's. Got a couple of job offers with NHS (Technician) and EMI (Missile systems), then offered post with Safmarine but turned it over to a pal Rick Hornsby when a R/O's job came up offshore and off I went (incidentally, from a class of 25 only 2 of us made it to being R/O's). Which is where some names cropped up.....
Dick Hill became my manager offshore in Holland (Northlandic), I understand he's now writing articles on green energy and still lives in Rotterdam. Ty Bunce I also worked with offshore. Len Townsend, sadly passed away 4 years ago, not many old staff at the funeral due to age and infirmity. Len was a wonderful person and did a great deal to enhance my career, even getting me up to speed for the GCHQ morse test in his own time after I had left the college.

After ten years offshore I joined the United Nations as a Radio Officer and met quite a few interesting individuals in a few countries over the years.

Best wishes to you all, and I hope people are still reading this forum.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I was at GCoT in 1968, staying at Halls of Residence but left after a few months. But returned again in 1971 and once again stayed at Halls of Residence before getting digs in Cleethorpes, down Albert Road.
Pico Mills seemed very old when I was at Grimsby so surprised he has outlived the other lecturers!! I have some pictures of some of my fellow students who were at college in 1971/74 and will look for them and post on here.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi martin I remember you well, you used to cut hair for 2/6s. john dawson is the big guy you remember , dave booth was from Nottingham I spoke to ian Roberts a few years ago but no one since. Be nice to hear from you.
Paul Hart

·
Registered
18,780 Posts
Ah! Alan and I spent a month trying to remember his name John!
Are you in contact with him please?

Dave P
Hello Dave, welcome to SN.

Sorry I lost Boris's email address but I can try to get it from Graham Turner. He's in Wellington now and I saw him a few months ago - john and wife visited him a couple of years ago. They live in Fareham near Portsmouth. Watch this space.

What's this about an odd sense of humour .... it's all deadly serious!

John T

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hello Dave, welcome to SN.

Sorry I lost Boris's email address but I can try to get it from Graham Turner. He's in Wellington now and I saw him a few months ago - john and wife visited him a couple of years ago. They live in Fareham near Portsmouth. Watch this space.

What's this about an odd sense of humour .... it's all deadly serious!

John T
Thanks John. Yes, Boris - we couldn't even remember his nickname! I have emailed Graham in NZ (are you out there too?) but a while back - now lost his email address.

I'm sure you recall those '...odd' jokes from your lighthouse days :)
Gathering quite a list now; hard to place which year they were in though.

IIRC you came in to do 2nd class as we (Alan, Boris and I) were doing 1st and radar? That would be 68 or 69?

41 - 60 of 100 Posts