Ships Nostalgia banner

41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Graham durrant

hi joined the hain norse ships in jul 69 i sailed m.v.trebartha twice m.v.trecarne m.v.benwyvis m.v.benattow m.v.bengloe left in 1972 had a great time seen the world three times i trained on t.s.dolphin at leith docks ronnie maben.
what a great story i read the hole lot i was on the m.v.trebartha 69 two times then m.v.trecarne i had the best time seen the world like Africe Inia persiangulf Australia panamacanal all great ports and more i miss the sea very much thank you for a great life.ronnie maben.
Hi Ronnie,
I also Joined Hain norse in 1969. I spent a short time on the Trewidden, Joind here in Antwerp and went to the medy, Marseilles, and back to London as a catering boy. The boswayns was could Sparow (verry thersty man). I then wrked on the trecarne over Christmas 1969, Then Joind The Trebertha in January 1970 as deck boy. We did a sercomnavigation via Oz. With bulk sugar for Liverpool homewourd.
Your name Looks familiar Ronnie but where you there and whot did you sale as, if so?

Also if anybody els was on the Traberth in particula. I would Like to here from you ( Writting book) well trying!

I Also miss being at sea i'm shure we all do. dont you think Lads!!
Thank Ronnie.
All best
Graham. Sometimes (Skull).

·
Registered
8,604 Posts
I have some very fond memories of Trelevan as I went Master on her in 1968 when she was operated by Manners of HK and named Sydney Breeze.

A very basic British tramp but a great ship to sail on!

·
Registered
700 Posts
I joined MV" Tremayne" as 3/0 laid up on the Fal in August , 1963;my first job back in Hains after getting my ticket. Cedric Ducker was C/O( They used to call him "Ducker the F***er") . The Ol' Man was Downard. My first task was to supervise the riggers rigging the derrick to lift the pontoon. Right load of useless *****s.... they put the chain stopper on the wrong way, and when I told them, they told me to " **** off!" They knew what they were doing. So I went and told the Mate . He rushed out, with me following, in time to see the derrick crash through the railings and bend round the gunnel plate. Cedric bawled me out. The riggers got ****'oled off.

My old school and shipmate Allan Alexander had been an App on the laid up ships, but he was taken very ill with some sort of liver infection. He had to have an operation and was off for about 4 months.

I did a trip out up the Persian Gulf with Chas. D. Abbott as Ol' Man.

Laurie Ridyard.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I may be mistaken but I think Capt Downard became Super in the office at the end, there was also a Captain Marchant in the office who I assumed to be a young bright spark. I was one of the last two apprentices (I think) to be employed by HN.

regards
Dave

·
Registered
13 Posts
tre boats

George
I sailed as 1st Mate on the Trefusis , Treneglos and the Kohinur , but then I was sent to the bulk carriers Duhallow , Atherstone and Fernie.
Unfortunately , that was the end , because in 1972 , P & O absorbed everything into the " divisions" , and I left the group after a very happy four years.
I also sailed as 1st mate on the Trefusis, Treneglos and Trebartha and was second mate on the Duhallow(new) and Fernie(new) previously. I left in December 1973 because having been 6th in line for command, it jumped to 84th when HN became P&O GCD. My next ship I was made master.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Hains

I sailed on the Treloske in 1952/3 did three trips to west Africa, remember going down a river called suppelle or something like that name, it was surrounded by jungle and we tied up to the trees, I remember seeing an albino African there, we took cement to the ports Lagos, Takoradi and others and loaded logs for the return trip, reg

·
Registered
848 Posts
I went aboard Trefusis in July 1965 the mate wanted me but my brother who was with me was trying to get his first ship as dhu but the mate would not take him his words where I,ll take you but I,m not training him at my expense so I said if you don't want him you dont want me I was AB did anyone do that voyage I believe she may have gone to India , it worked out better in the end we joined the Suevic down to Kiwi regards to all hands .

·
Registered
952 Posts
Trefusis was a bit of a one off for Hains as she became Chinese crewed during the Seamans strike of 1966?. I was in her 1972 as Apprentice. Two, three berth apprentice cabins were huge! Great ship although run to Red Sea was not so good. Old man was a Hains lifer, Paddy Annett.

regards
Dave

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Hello Pilot Mac,
I did my first trip as Third Mate in 1962 with Captain Annett in the Trelyon, BA, Santa Fe, and Rosario full load of wheat to Liverpool, The Mate was Jack Ashbridge a really super chap.
Ah, those were the days.

Yours aye,

slick

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
For any body interested in the history of Nourse & Co, therehere is an excellent book "The Long Voyage" by H.C. deMierre, who served his entire four-year apprenticeship in one long voyage in Nourse's full-rigged ship Main between 1905 and 1909.

Published by Hodder and Stoughton (1963) it is beautifully written, illustrated and informative. Hans deMierre then joined Cunard. At some point after WW1 he became a merchant banker.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Grandfather was aboard the Trevilley when she was torpedoed,he became a prisoner of war.I wonder if anyone on here has more information.Sadly my grandad passed away last August,he never spoke about his time aboard the ship or being a prisoner to his children or grandchildren.Any help,links or sites anyone could direct to me would be gratefully accepted.Thank you for reading.

·
Registered
700 Posts
My Grandfather was aboard the Trevilley when she was torpedoed,he became a prisoner of war.I wonder if anyone on here has more information.Sadly my grandad passed away last August,he never spoke about his time aboard the ship or being a prisoner to his children or grandchildren.Any help,links or sites anyone could direct to me would be gratefully accepted.Thank you for reading.
Michelle - You can find details of the sinking of the " Trevilley" here.....
http://www.uboat.net/allies/merchants/crews/ship2149.html

Laurie Ridyard.

·
Registered
1 Posts
George
I sailed as 1st Mate on the Trefusis , Treneglos and the Kohinur , but then I was sent to the bulk carriers Duhallow , Atherstone and Fernie.
Unfortunately , that was the end , because in 1972 , P & O absorbed everything into the " divisions" , and I left the group after a very happy four years.
I also sailed as 1st mate on the Trefusis, Treneglos and Trebartha and was second mate on the Duhallow(new) and Fernie(new) previously. I left in December 1973 because having been 6th in line for command, it jumped to 84th when HN became P&O GCD. My next ship I was made master.
Joe Cracknell - I remember you as mate in Trefusis when I was one of three deck cadets. Always stuck in my mind is the standing jump competition in the tween decks with what firs in Port Sudan. Hope you are well.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Your Grandfather is listed here....

http://www.uboat.net/allies/merchants/crews/person/80462.html

Laurie Ridyard

·
Registered
701 Posts
The following is an extract from my book SHIPPING COMPANY LOSSES OF THE SECOND WORLD WAR published by the History Press.

NOURSE LINE

BHIMA. Torpedoed and sunk by the Japanese submarine I-65 (Kaigun Shōsa (LtCdr.) Harada Hakue) on 20 February,1942, in position 07º47´N 73º31´E. All 70, including two passengers, picked up from lifeboats three days later.

GANGES (Captain J.T. Vivian). On 6 April, 1942, bombed by planes from the heavy cruiser Chokai, part of the Japanese Central Group operating in the Indian Ocean, and sank in position 17º48´N 84º09´E. 1st Radio Officer M.J. Murphy, 2nd Radio Officer W. Reilly, Mr R.G. Keir, the 4th Engineer, and 12 lascars, died. Survivors reached land after 24 hours in the boats. For other ships sunk by the Japanese at this time, see under Dardanus, ALFRED HOLT & CO.

INDUS. (Captain C.E. Bryan). Bound for Fremantle, from Safaga and Colombo, when intercepted and shelled by the German raider Thor (Kapitän zur See Günther Gumprich) on 20 July, 1942. Returned the fire as she tried to escape, and transmitted a QQQQ message. Abandoned after her stern gun and radio room were put out of action, and her bridge was on fire, and sank in position 26º44´S 82º50´E.. Twenty-three died. Forty-nine, taken prisoner on board the Thor, were transferred to the Tannenfels on August 29, and landed at Bordeaux on 2 November.

JHELUM (Captain L.W. Newman). Bound for Oban, from Izmir, Turkey, and Cape Town, sailed in Convoy SL. 68 which left Freetown on 13 March, 1941. Torpedoed and sunk by U.105 (Kptlt. Georg Schewe) at 10pm on the 21st, in approximate position 21ºN 25ºW. Eight died. Forty-nine landed at St. Louis, Senegal, and interned by the Vichy French authorities. For details of other ships sunk in Convoy SL.68, see under Benwyvis, BEN LINE.

JUMNA. Bound for Calcutta, via Freetown, sailed in Convoy OB.260 which left Liverpool on 16 December, 1940 and dispersed on the evening of the 19th. Sunk by the German cruiser Admiral Hipper (Konteradmiral Wilhelm Meisel) during the forenoon on Christmas Day, in position 44º51´N 27º45´W. All 64 crew and 43 lascar passengers, who had survived the sinking of the Planter in Convoy SL.53, died. See under HARRISON LINE.

SAUGOR (Captain J.A.A. Steel). Bound for Freetown and Calcutta, from London. In Convoy OS.4 which left Liverpool on 23 August, 1941. Torpedoed and sunk by U.557 (Oblt. Ottokar Arnold Paulssen) at about 1.30am on 27th, in position 53º36´N 16º40´W. Fifty-nine died. Twenty-three picked up by the rescue ship Perth (Captain K. Williamson) and landed at Greenock the following day.

Other ships sunk in Convoy OS.4
Segundo (Nor.) (Captain Karsten B. Wilhelmsen). By U.557. Seven died, including Gudrun Torgersen, the wife of the 1st Mate). Twenty-seven picked up by the sloop HMS Lulworth (LtCdr. C. Gwinner).
Tremoda (Captain J.S. Bastian). By U.557. Thirty-two died. Twenty-one picked up by the Free French minesweeper FFL Chevreuil and landed at Kingston, Jamaica.
Embassage (Captain E. Kiddie). By U.557. Thirty-nine died. Three picked up by the destroyer HMCS Assiniboine (Cpt. G.C. Jones) and landed at Greenock.
Otaio. See under NEW ZEALAND SHIPPING CO. LTD.

SUTLEJ. Bound for Aden and Fremantle, from Kosseir, Egypt, when torpedoed and sunk by the Japanese submarine I.37 (LtCdr. Hagime Nakagawa) 26 February, 1944, in position 08º00´S 70º00´E. The submarine fired on the survivors in boats, on wreckage and in the water. Five were rescued after 42 days in a lifeboat and 18 after being on two rafts for 49 days. Fifty died. See under British Chivalry, BRITISH TANKER CO. LTD., and Centaur, ALFRED HOLT & CO.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Guys,
I can't get used to this site, how to tell real names from 'user names'.
Like Wattseeuk's post on 10-01-16, is Joe Cracknell 'ackerman' or 'Kasper'.
Anyway, Joe I hope you see this, you were Chief Mate on Treneglos where I was first trip cadet (Bob Hales was also a cadet), I was so naive and cack-handed that you christened me 'Bernard' after Bernard Breslaw. But you were a great chief mate I learned a lot from you, Brazil - Far East what a first trip. I then sailed with you again on the Trewidden with Capt Perkins, Walter Venning, and Simon Wigg, hopefully I had learned enough by then to earn my keep, fond memories of the Kiwi coast. Specially a frantic time across the Pacific, marrying up all the derrick blocks and shackles with the correct certificates, even then one or two derricks had to be raised a day before we got to Auckland!
Believe it or not I went on long enough to pass my second mate's before swallowing the anchor.
:)
Dave

·
Registered
3 Posts
i sailed with the hain steamship from 1957 to 1961,i joined trelawny on nov ember1957for a run down to BA for grain.then trevose .trevince ,tremorvah,.i started as junior engineer.on the trelawnythe captain was cornish.mate berry,chief engineer johnson.second eng holdsworth.anybody still about from these ships

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
In the early 70's I was in Dairen in China and we played football against a Haines Norse ship, damned if I can remember the name.
The Chinese gave us a good pitch to play on (this was the China of Mao Tse Tung, nothing like today) and several hundred spectators turned up. It was very hot, and both teams were topping up with cold beers from a case at the side of the pitch also provided by the Chinese.
They had a commentator with a bullhorn talking to the crowd, and we were later told his comments were a bit propaganda-ish as he was telling them they were watching the best class athletes the west could produce. We staggered on regardless, and I still can't remember who won ... but the beer was good. (Pint)

·
Registered
700 Posts
i sailed with the hain steamship from 1957 to 1961,i joined trelawny on nov ember1957for a run down to BA for grain.then trevose .trevince ,tremorvah,.i started as junior engineer.on the trelawnythe captain was cornish.mate berry,chief engineer johnson.second eng holdsworth.anybody still about from these ships
Hey up ! I joined MV " Trelawny " as 1st Trip Deck App on 17th March, 1959.

Captn. Cornish was the Ol'Man. Eddy Sprunks Mate, Trewavas 2nd Mate & Jim Kelly 3/O.

Jim Kelly was on this site, and I made contact with him, exchanging a few Emails. The last I heard from him was about 18 months ago, so I think he may have passed away.

Laurie Ridyard.

41 - 60 of 77 Posts