Ships Nostalgia banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hain's ship SS Trevorian.

Hello all, glad I found this web site and in particular this thread as I've recently got hold of my grandfather's certificates of discharge. His name was Thomas "Tommy" Williams and was born in St Ives in 1887. He was a merchant seaman for most of his life up until the early 1950s when he had an accident cycling home from his ship that had docked in Portreath. He sailed on a number of the Hain boats, including the Tregarthen (1) in 1907, the Trevose in 1908 and Trevarrack in the same year and then he was on the Trevorian for a year from 1909 until on the way from Barry to Taranto with coal in January 2010 she sprung a leak in a strong gale and eventually the crew had to abandon ship, by then off Ushant, using three rafts constructed out of ladders and planks, to get across to a ship that had come to the rescue as seas were too rough for the rescue ship to get close to each other. I can't remember him telling me any of this so I gather it was one of many tight situations he got into during his life at sea and "all in a days work" kind of thing and forgotten about. Anyway he lived until 89 and I just wished I had got everything down on paper or tape before he went.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Hello all, glad I found this web site and in particular this thread as I've recently got hold of my grandfather's certificates of discharge. His name was Thomas "Tommy" Williams and was born in St Ives in 1887. He was a merchant for most of his life up until the early 1950s when he had an accident cycling home from his ship that had docked in Portreath. He sailed on a number of the Hain boats, including the Tregarthen (1) in 1907, the Trevose in 1908 and Trevarrack in the same year and then he was on the Trevorian for a year from 1909 until on the way from Barry to Taranto with coal in January 2010 she sprung a leak in a strong gale and eventually the crew had to abandon ship, by then off Ushant, using three rafts constructed out of ladders and planks, to get across to a ship that had come to the rescue as seas were too rough for the rescue ship to get close to each other. I can't remember him telling me any of this so I gather it was one of many tight situations he got into during his life at sea and "all in a days work" kind of thing and forgotten about. Anyway he lived until 89 and I just wished I had got everything down on paper or tape before he went.
Hi! If you are looking for information on your grandfather's ships, see

"Hain of St. Ives " published by the World Ship Society ISBN 9780905617411. You can buy it on like.

St. Ives Museum have a dedicate Hain Room. If you have any of your grandfather's records - discharge books etc.- I am sure they would welcome them

You will find photos of most Hain ships on this web site-
http://www.photoship.co.uk/Browse Ship Galleries/

Laurie Ridyard.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi! If you are looking for information on your grandfather's ships, see

"Hain of St. Ives " published by the World Ship Society ISBN 9780905617411. You can buy it on like.

St. Ives Museum have a dedicate Hain Room. If you have any of your grandfather's records - discharge books etc.- I am sure they would welcome them

You will find photos of most Hain ships on this web site-
http://www.photoship.co.uk/Browse Ship Galleries/

Laurie Ridyard.
Hi Laurie. many thanks for the book reference and the 'photoship' link. Yes, I have considered giving the ships papers to the museum. Will have to discuss with family members. I found he had also sailed on the Treveal in early 1911 and then the Treverbyn in 1911-1912 and following that the Trewellard in 1914 - 18. Ian

·
Registered
697 Posts
That should read

" You can buy it on the Web Site " here-http://www.abebooks.co.uk/9780905617411/Hain-St-Ives-ODonoghue-Appleyard-090561741X/plp

Laurie

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi there Slick, hecky here. wondering could You provide me with some info on the death of Capt JJ Reilly who was master on the Trewidden when He disappeared over the side some where off Reunion island back in 1969. Kind regards, Dermot {hecky].

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Hecky,
It was on the MV Trewidden in 1969, it was a fairly traumatic event as you can imagine.
It would appear that he was lost overboard at Lunchtime that was when the ship was quiet, I can't recall how long it was before he was missed.
We spent probably best part of a day in the area searching fruitlessly and on our own, I don't recall being in contact with any ship in the search or indeed seeing one.
It took Captain Reilly's brother a MN Captain in Ireland(?) to get a inquiry going on paying off in Rotterdam in front of a Shipping Office Official(?).
I felt it was most unsatisfactory throughout, it was concluded his death as by being "lost overboard".
I left Hain-Nourse immediately and continued my career elsewhere.
It is not something I have discussed with anyone since.
Yours aye,

slick

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Gerry,
I was one of the last cadets with Hain-Nourse, I sailed on Treneglos and Kohinur in Hain Nourse colours 1970-1972. I joined Trewidden in 1972 after the P&O GCD (General Cargo Division) had been formed, the ship was still in Hain-Nourse colours, but the HN logo on the funnel was painted out, she just had a blue funnel, that standard 'Hains' dark blue. She was still painted in those colours when I paid off in Hull in January 1973. I joined the Mataura later that same month and she was painted out in the, shall we call it 'interim P&O GCD livery' of black hull, red boot topping, white accommodation, grey decks and buff masts and derricks, and of course the light blue funnel with 'P&O' shadow logo. That was standard P&O GCD as I sailed on Trefusis throughout 1973-74. I joined Turakina in Glasgow 12-5-74 and she was still in those colours, black hull etc, however within weeks in Liverpool or London she was painted out in the new 'ice cream cart' livery of beige/yellow hull, with light blue boot topping, same as the funnel colour. I left P&O GCD in 1975, but stayed in touch. As I recall all the Hain-Nourse 'TRE...' boats were renamed Strath..., for example Treneglos became Strathnairn, and the ex NZS (New Zealand Shipping Line) refers were given the 'Wild... waterfowl names. All of which is a long winded bit of history, to suggest that if you are looking for Wild Curlew shipmates, better look at NZS page?
:)
Dave

·
Registered
3 Posts
Trewidden

treboats,
Your reference to Captain Horace ----- set me thinking and trawling the memory banks, and whilst shaving it came to me Captain Horace Gravell !!
Captain Penberthy was the last Captain I sailed with in Hains he came out to bring the Trewidden home after the death of Captain JJ Reilly in 1969.

Yours aye,

Slick
I was on the Trewidden at that time, my first trip as a Deck Cadet. I remember the search for Capt Reilly as he was assumed lost overboard and our arrival in Reunion where Captain D Penberthy joined. We went on to Madagascar, Lorenco Marques then back to Rotterdam. After a few weeks leave I was back again for another voyage on Trewidden for an East Africa round voyage with Captain Robinson.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Ancient Mariner 67,
That trip was a fairly grim even by my Standards, I left for the RFA after that and finished my sea going career in 2002.
I seem to remember the Mate was a piece of work.

Yours aye,

slick

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Further to my previous post about the football match with the Haines Norse ship in the 70's I recently found this pix of the ourselves and the Treneglos (I finally remembered the name) taken in Dairen during the game.

As you can see we had a crowd a Fourth Division Club would have been proud of:.... :sweat:

Attachments

·
Registered
701 Posts
MARITIEM

Thank you for the tremendous job you've done.

Re your post #14 you state that 28 ships were lost in WWII, but only 27 are listed. Could you, please, check?

Regards

Ian

·
Registered
697 Posts
The Trelevan had been laid up the Fal, I paid off here there in the summer of 1962 and got some leave. I rejoined the four that were laid up, including Tremorvah and Tremeadow I think. Spent the winter of 62/63 aboard with just paraffin heaters and lamps so the Apprentices cabin ended up like the black hole of Calcutta due to the smoke. We spent most of out days moving coal from the galley bunkers of the three ships we were not living on to ours [forgotten which one it was] Cant remember whether we de-rigged the derricks or not either before we laid here up or while she was up the Fal. someone must have but I dont think we did it on the passage down to Falmouth and were only at anchor in Carrick Roads for 24 hours at the most so could not have done it there. Sorry can be more help than that.
MY ol' pal Alan Alexander Deck App was on the laid up ships. He was a deck app on MV " Trevean " in 1962, when I was 3/0. He was a pal of mine and my younger brother before he went to sea.

ATB

Laurie.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Do anyone remember P&Os tramp outfit?The "tre" ships,mostly named after Cornish villages and towns.I sailed as 4th, 3rd &laterly,contract 2nd eng with them.I thought they were one of the best I sailed with. G Mac
My dad worked for the Hain company late 50's. Found this picture of the
Trelevan Trevean Trevose Trevcarne

61 - 77 of 77 Posts