Ships Nostalgia banner
81 - 85 of 85 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
"The CAMILLA was purchased from Thomas and William Bolitho of Gulval near Penzance, two very succesful local merchants. In addition to their shipowning activities, they also had interests in fish curing and tin smelting, and the family went on to become merchant bankers and the financiers of many of the subsequent Hain ships."

The TREVELLOE was another Hain ship.

William Bolitho was my great-great-grandfather, and his son, Lieutenant-Colonel William Edward Thomas Bolitho, DSO, built a house at TREVELLOE in 1905, which I remember well when his daughter lived there throughout my childhood, and I stayed there often.

In the Boer War, Captain WET Bolitho was part of the Imperial Yeomanry sent to South Africa, as he was in the Royal Devon Yeomanry, and took many men from West Penwith with him, as there was a Cornish Squadron within the Royal 1st Devon Yeomanry. He was badly wounded at the British defeat at Nootgedacht in 1900, when he lead a forlorn hope dismounted attack up a very steep kloof set in a mountain ridge to give others a chance to escape, for which he received a DSO.

He commanded the home training part of 1st Royal Devon Yeomanry from 1914 to 1919, and would certainly have known young Edward (V) Hain before his tragic death in the same year that WET lost his own son.

'Thank You!' for your history of the Hain ships - it helps expand my perception of the many family connections in West Cornwall in the 19th century, which played a major role in many developments of Cornwall at that time.

I am proud of the Cornish blood in my veins, and bearing in mind the role the Bolithos played developing many industries that provided much-needed employment, it saddens me to see not only Cornwall, but indeed our whole country, being pushed backwards by forces over which those affected rarely have any control, and everyone subject to ever-increasing burdens.

Thanks! Zen

· Registered
4 Posts
what a great story i read the hole lot i was on the m.v.trebartha 69 two times then m.v.trecarne i had the best time seen the world like Africe Inia persiangulf Australia panamacanal all great ports and more i miss the sea very much thank you for a great life.ronnie maben.
Do you remember Capt Eddie Maiden, Hains Ch Marine Supt ? [email protected]

81 - 85 of 85 Posts