Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Spongebob
9,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see that they are at it again today, filling the home page and spilling over into the ship reasearch thread , are they trying to tell us something ?

Bob

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
Not actual 'hacking' but a form of spam which verges on a denial of service attack.
The problem is, with the current state of the site, the DOS aspect seems to be working.
The input is from South Korea, maybe, and is trying to promote a gambling website.
According to the front page there are no SN 'staff' logged on at the moment, that being the Mods. Perhaps the new policy is to leave the posts and just ignore them rather than deleting them.
On form so far don't expect any help from Admin in Canada.
Keep smiling but don't bother about a strong united front -We are just statistics.

·
Registered
7,596 Posts
It seems that we are helping this particular hacker, going by the constant number of negative comments and members bailing out.
If members are really concerned, we would see a lot more positive comments building the benefits of SN membership. Negativity breeds negativity!!
In my opinion, there is a lot more to this hacking than meets the eye. There are hundreds of great threads on SN - start contributing to them and worry about the Gallery down the track, if it is not repaired in say, a couple of months. Let's start some more new threads, eh?
Every one of us knows that very old phrase, now a cliché: "United we stand - divided we fall!!" (Thumb)(Thumb)

Taff
Agreed......................(Thumb)

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
It seems that we are helping this particular hacker, going by the constant number of negative comments and members bailing out.
If members are really concerned, we would see a lot more positive comments building the benefits of SN membership. Negativity breeds negativity!!
In my opinion, there is a lot more to this hacking than meets the eye. There are hundreds of great threads on SN - start contributing to them and worry about the Gallery down the track, if it is not repaired in say, a couple of months. Let's start some more new threads, eh?
Every one of us knows that very old phrase, now a cliché: "United we stand - divided we fall!!" (Thumb)(Thumb)

Taff
(Applause)(Applause)........Well said Taff.

JJ.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
#4 , Malcolm... I have sent a request for some information on our problem, to a company with which I have a connection.
Depending on what response I get, I may open a thread on the subject.
I had never heard of DOS, as I thought the site was being hacked. Thanks for the advice.
Cheers,

Taff

·
Spongebob
9,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They are at it still but there is a bit of English creeping into the poster's names.
Fireflaxbrick sound like a refractory brickie while Graino sounds like a load of fibre!
Bob

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
They are at it still but there is a bit of English creeping into the poster's names.
Fireflaxbrick sound like a refractory brickie while Graino sounds like a load of fibre!
Bob
My posted report has been deleted from this thread as well as others, therefore it's time somebody else takes up the cudgel, as my posts are being systematically removed, however, I am now able to pin down that person and I'm very disappointed, to say the least.
There is another way to unfrock this attacker and I'm about to put it into place.

Taff

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
To make myself clear;
I did not say that there is a Denial Of Service attack - the level of input is verging on such but that is not the object of the people behind it.

It is not hacking - There is no evidence that the site has been hacked.

The Korean input is from a 'SpamBot' - It is not a human being and the only human involvement is to write the software and reap the rewards - Everything else is fully automatic.
The purpose of a Spambot is to overwhelm any defence in the hope that some of the input might not get deleted. In the normal course of events Moderators would just deal with each input on a case by case and that is what the SpamBot software cir***vents.
This particular SpamBot is NOT targeting SN in particular but is randomly finding any unprotected web forums to paste material in the hope that some members of those forums will open the link on the message.
If you open the link, in order to join a gambling (losing) website then your computer will also be infected with malware which will find your contacts list for future use/sale.
You will not be opening a link to a human - There are none there!

There is no ulterior motive - Any unprotected website will do.

The SpamBot 'invasion' has nothing whatsoever to do with the loss of the Galley etc.
The only 'connection' is in the management of the site in that the site owners could do something about the spam because it is possible to block it.

The Members cannot do anything about no matter how united they might feel.

·
Administrator
269 Posts
After saying I wouldn't post here again I have re appeared to get rid of a ton of spam, I have also put in a temporary fix although I dont know how long it will last, I can't get into the engine room anymore but have tried a different way.

anyway the spam should now be gone and the spam bots banished, if you see any more call on me on the other channel and ill see what i can do.

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
To make myself clear;
I did not say that there is a Denial Of Service attack - the level of input is verging on such but that is not the object of the people behind it.

It is not hacking - There is no evidence that the site has been hacked.

The Korean input is from a 'SpamBot' - It is not a human being and the only human involvement is to write the software and reap the rewards - Everything else is fully automatic.
The purpose of a Spambot is to overwhelm any defence in the hope that some of the input might not get deleted. In the normal course of events Moderators would just deal with each input on a case by case and that is what the SpamBot software cir***vents.
This particular SpamBot is NOT targeting SN in particular but is randomly finding any unprotected web forums to paste material in the hope that some members of those forums will open the link on the message.
If you open the link, in order to join a gambling (losing) website then your computer will also be infected with malware which will find your contacts list for future use/sale.
You will not be opening a link to a human - There are none there!

There is no ulterior motive - Any unprotected website will do.

The SpamBot 'invasion' has nothing whatsoever to do with the loss of the Galley etc.
The only 'connection' is in the management of the site in that the site owners could do something about the spam because it is possible to block it.

The Members cannot do anything about no matter how united they might feel.
Well put, Malcolm, in that case, would you please explain to me and others who are contacting me with the same query, why my report and subsequent posts have been and are being, deleted, often within seconds of being submitted? That's some clever robot!

Incidentally, the whole report, a portion of which I posted on site, was written by a cybersecurity company with which I have a connection, as I've previously stated.

I find this whole situation bloody ridiculous, as I set out originally to help in keeping this terrific site going and to hopefully staunch the flow of negativity which was omnipresent. However, as was pointed out to me a couple of hours ago, there is something much more sinister afoot and, while I have tried to keep this to myself, I can say that I have received two thinly veiled death threats. I divulge that reluctantly simply to show the seriousness with which my posts are being viewed.

Unfortunately, due to medical matters, my time on site will be very limited for the next few days, but I will hopefully have sufficient time to keep an eye on developments.

Perhaps you can ensure that this post is not also deleted?

Taff

·
Administrator
269 Posts
Tsell,

With respect understand this: you have, to be blunt no idea what is going on on SN, you maintain that the site is under attack from "hackers" who are trying to force the membership to leave, this is totally untrue, the site has been attacked by Spam bots, they are not human, they have no idea what site they are attacking, they do not respond to anything, they are human made and then sent out to do a job, they have no idea you or I or anyone exists, there are millions of them out there from Russia, korea, China, India in fact take your pick.

You can claim to have an army of IT experts looking at it, you can claim to get to the bottom of it but in reality you know about as much about this site and its workings as I do about collecting rocks on mars, you say and I quote:

"Incidentally, the whole report, a portion of which I posted on site, was written by a cybersecurity company with which I have a connection, as I've previously stated"

Please stop your inane postings about the spam and members leaving the site or what other conspiracy theories you dream up, you forget we built this site from the bottom up, we know every single nut,bolt,and rivet and more.

Go back to posting about ships or whatever BUT STOP these silly scare mongering posts.

I admire you trying to keep SN going and best of luck with it, but seriously stop posting nonsense.

I frankly don't care if you know the Pope, Trump, or Bill Gates, you know nothing about bots and the internet.

I do not want to argue with you and to safeguard myself I have written to you on the open forum.

But take my advice and move on from this please.

Thanks

Steve

·
Registered
6,923 Posts

I can certainly endorse the fact that at least one - and probably others - of Taff's posts on the subject of the invasion have been removed.

At about 0745 this morning Robert Hilton commended Taff for his efforts to address the mess - and I followed immediately by endorsing Robert's commendation of Taff. Somebody else did likewise, but I cannot for the life of me remember who it was. It might have been Bob Clay. It was one of our regulars in the public bar.

All now gone, for reasons which are less than clear.

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
No objection to who is the present owner of the site just it's retention as top of the Ship league..
Any chance you can point me, Taff or others with the same interest to who the owners actually are Steve?

·
Administrator
269 Posts
As I have said on numerous occasions, the subject matter of the sites they own are not important, they are a business and make there money from ad clicks and page views, using google or whatever platform to generate interest.

Surely you can all see the maintenance is non existent otherwise the Gallery would be fixed, the directory would be working and the spam bots would never get through.

What more can I say, so for the last time it is about ££££££ and $$$$$$$ not about the membership or subject.

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
What actually is more disturbing is as Taff has pointed out and I can corroborate also with mine that posts do the disappearing trick and then re-appear as if by magic..
Can you perhaps elucidate on this?

1 - 20 of 91 Posts