Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
This Hawthorn -Leslie built had a sister ROYSTON GRANGE differed from
H GRANGE for larger supestructure (extended)

·
Registered
15 Posts
This was the sister ship to the Ill Fated Royston Grange which was involved in a collision in the River plate in the 70's with the loss of all hands.

·
Super Moderator
5,620 Posts
Delivered by Hawthorn Leslie in 1960 when I worked at their Hebburn yard. She looks good in the photo. As a shipbuilder it is always nice to work for owners who look after their ships.

Fred

·
Super Moderator
3,912 Posts
Royston Grange

Just posted pic of wreck of Royston Grange at Montevideo. I took it on 9 Jan 1973.
Cheers
Paul

Bankliner said:
This was the sister ship to the Ill Fated Royston Grange which was involved in a collision in the River plate in the 70's with the loss of all hands.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sailed in "Hardwicke Grange" as 3rd & 2nd Mate under Capt`s R. Faulkner
and T A G Head, July 63 to Jan 65 and Nov 68 to May 70 . Regular chilled meat trade River Plate to Z Shed, Victoria Dock, London, back in the days
when seafaring was a pleasure as well as a career.

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
Bankliner said:
Ahoy,
The collision with the Chinese Tien Chee was at Canal Punto Indio on 11-05-1972; The Royston Grange was loaded with cereals,butter and refrigerated meat.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Correction to Ruud 10th Oct.Royston Grange could not carry "P15" as she was sister to Hardwicke Grange,carrying chilled meat.I lost many good friends and shipmates in
that collision with Tien Chee

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
Ahoy Norsea,

Thanks for that correction, I wrote it because I had it from a South American newspaper, but now I've read some English, her cargo was cereals,butter an refrigerated meat, while the Chinese had oil on board.
Will change it immediately.

·
Registered
14 Posts
norsea said:
and T A G Head, July 63 to Jan 65 and Nov 68 to May 70 . Regular chilled meat trade River Plate to Z Shed, Victoria Dock, London, back in the days
Dear Norsea,
I think we may have sailed together ? I was on the Hardwicke Grange at the same sort of time as a deck apprentice with Capt. Head in command ( a hard man, but one who I came to know as a great friend in the future ).
Kindest regards
Ian Norman ( Now retired ) e-mail: **********

·
Registered
12 Posts
Royston Grange

Hi Gadgee, I have been trying to locate the picture of the Royston Grange that you have posted. So far I have not been able to do so. I suspect I am probably doing something wrong and I would be most grateful if you can advise me as to how I can view the picture. Having sailed with Houlder Brothers in the 60s I have fond memories of both the Hardwicke & the Royston Grange. I can still remember the shock at hearing of the disaster in which the Royston Grange was involved. Thank you in advance for your assistance with this request.
Regards.

Davej.

gadgee said:
Just posted pic of wreck of Royston Grange at Montevideo. I took it on 9 Jan 1973.
Cheers
Paul

·
Registered
12 Posts
royston grange

Aristo, thank you for your assistance with locating the picture of the royston grange. It is a sad picture that will always be shocking to view no matter how many times you veiw it. I am grateful for your assistance in locating the picture. It seems to me that this site has an abundance of members who are always happy to assist anyone who is searching for information of any form. Thank you again.

Regards,

Davej.

·
Banned
48 Posts
norsea said:
Norsea,
Your closing words are both wise and very accurate. - I joined the "Royston Grange" on 31/12/65 under command of TAG Head - a tough man who had come up the hard way (through the hawse pipe) and not unreasonably felt all people should take the same route. I was set down to rejoin her in April 1972 but chose instead to join the "Cavendish" as there was more chance of promotion in the LPG side in those days. When I left the "Royston Grange" in 1966 I joined "Oregis" and my first voyage on her was Workington to Murmansk ... a case of Chalk & Cheese when viewed against Z Shed to Boca South.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Houlders

Oregis was converted to a diving support vessel in 74 and renamed Coupler 1 with a complete saturation diving unit supplied by Comex. In 76 the name Oregis was reinstated under Houlder Offshore Ltd with an office in Dyce, Aberdeen. On board ranks were changed to BargeMaster,Ass`t B Ms, roughnecks & roustabouts as per rig ratings. I continued serving in Oregis until September 78 when ill health forced my retirement. Hope some of this may be of interest.
Regards Norsea

·
Registered
45 Posts
norsea said:
Hi norsea, we must have sailed together, i did one trip on the hardwicke as asst steward april-may 1970 we called in at rotterdam on the return journey. speaking of captains on the return journey i was serving in the dining room and one of the passengers asked me to close the curtains on the porthole as the sun was shining in his eyes, they were stuck open and i nearly pulled the whole lot off the bulkhead trying to close them, the captain stood up and said "oh just leave the bloody things steward i'll go up to the bridge and turn the ship round."

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nostalgia

norsea said:
Hi Norsea - I sailed on the Hardwicke Grange on my first sea trip as 2nd Radio Officer from May 1963 until November 1963 so I must have been there at the same time as you. It's a long time ago now and I can remember that there was a change of Mates and I can vaguely remember faces but mostly I remember the Gin & Orange parties in Ron Mills (1st R/O) cabin whilst in B.A.
That was in the days of Capt Faulkner and I was using the supernumary cabin on the port side opposite to the Chief Mate's cabin. A great ship and a wonderful induction into the Merchant Navy but what a stink in Dock Sud.
I'm from Scarborough and used to speak fairly broad Yorkshire and was only 18 at the time I recounted above.
Best Wishes - it's nice to come across an old shipmate.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Aristotle 13
You are 100% correct. ! joined the Hardwicke in July 63 and stayed untilJan 65. Rejoined Nov 68 to May 70. Remember Ron very well, always came on the bridge for cocoa around midnight. Think I have a foto of both of you in the Radio room.
Best regards
Norsea

1 - 20 of 81 Posts