Ships Nostalgia banner

41 - 60 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
I did two trips on the Hardwicke between Oct 75 and April 76 Eng/Cadet. On the second trip to Bahia Blanca whilst still at anchor I was taken ill and rushed ashore to Hospital. If it wasn’t for the 3rd Mates wife wish I could remember her name. I wouldn’t be here now.
The main hospital was full due to a flu epidemic so they stuck me in a hospital for the mentally ill (No Kidding) I couldn’t speak Spanish nor they English or Welsh, even though we were only down the road from Patagonia. Then a very attractive young lady her sister was a patient there came to my rescue. After 5 days I was ok to get up and about so I went on a few trips out with her. By now the ship was along side so a few of the boys came to pay me a visit. When they arrived at the Hospital with no sign of my sick and wasted body in the bed they were just about to leave then I turned up with the young lady on my arm. The stick I got from them for the next four weeks was worse than the illness. But I had some very fond memories. (Thumb) Of the ship I mean!

·
Registered
5 Posts
i sailed on the hardwick grange as j.o.seamen in early 1972,join at z berth in the old vic dock,does anyone remember fiddler the boson,also on furness bridge with d.r dixon and the faraday with mad tom wolcott

·
Banned
48 Posts
i sailed on the hardwick grange as j.o.seamen in early 1972,join at z berth in the old vic dock,does anyone remember fiddler the boson,also on furness bridge with d.r dixon and the faraday with mad tom wolcott
Firstly a warm welcome to you on the occasion of your first posting. Yes, I can agree with you that Tom Wolcott as a different sort of person, and some might well conclude that his extrovert behaviour was out of the usual… I too joined my first ship at Z Shed, I think the bus fare was 4d. (EEK)

·
Registered
75 Posts
mr fiddler a name from the past he was boson when me and my twin sailed on the hardwick as deck boys in 1972 do any rememder an AB by the name of mr ben i think he came from york

·
Registered
75 Posts
Houlder Brother’s HARDWICKE GRANGE (61/10338) seen at her berth in the Victoria Dock, London on the 27th July 1969.
I query the 1961-1975 bit. We were tied up next to (and went aboard for a few jar on several occasions) the Hardwicke Grange in New Plymouth NZ mid 1976, probably August 1976.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I suppose you might call it the pinnacle of my Houlders deep-sea (later on the Offshore side) career when i did one trip on the Hardwicke July/October 74. I relieved Vinny Sade Ch/Cook. Captain Capon was in command, nickname "Canape Kate", no offence meant. Paddy O,Regan was my boss. As memory serves me it was an enjoyable trip, though I did upset some members of the crew when I changed "Steak" day!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
i seeem to remember the 2nd steward nick name of mauld ,an ab called tonto,also having the crap scared out off me in number 2 hatch 3 levels down while painting out scratch mark by torch ,another of mr fiddlers little tasks,still had the last laugh,2 days latter he came down the same hatch with me to seal up for fumigation,had to leave him there for 10 mins,came back to find him hiding in the fridge inspection door white as a sheet .seems like what ever got me going got him too.

·
Registered
75 Posts
tonto was there the same time me and my bro tom was on the hardwick also a steward who had a parrot by the name of sh-t bag he would let it fly off the ship when at sea and it all ways came back it even had its own passport

·
Registered
5 Posts
nice to get a reply ,i can remember that parrot had a habit of attacking anyone he got the hump with,still happy days then.c'ant remember the crew that well just a few names,only did the one trip,company then moved me over to tankers,must have been something to do with always going adrift,went on to the furnace bridge .what a heap???

·
Registered
1 Posts
HG's trip to New Zealand Nov/March 76/7

Hello Derek, I think you were the 2O on my first trip to sea as 2nd 'lecky' to Maurice Patterson. I was annoyingly keen in those days.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hello Derek, I think you were the 2O on my first trip to sea as 2nd 'lecky' to Maurice Patterson. I was annoyingly keen in those days.

Crabpot, if you were 2nd Lecky to Maurice Patterson you must be Mr. Kennedy I'm sorry you're first naem escapes me and my little book!! I was indeed the 2nd Mate on that trip.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Peter St Claire (Norwood)

Hi
I was wondering if anyone knew of the whereabouts of Peter St Claire originally Norwood who travelled with my Late father Tom Head, Peter was Chief Steward approx 1969 . My Mother would dearly like to make contact with him and his wife, last known place they lived in was in Alicante. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Chris Head

·
Banned
221 Posts
Only found this site today and what a joy its been reading all the posts and having my memories jogged by mentions of many ships i sailed in. I joined as deck cadet in Sept 1973 about the famous Hardwicke Grange with Capt "Tag" Head and spent the next 6 months going from boy to man on the BA, Monte, Santos, London route. Santos at 16 was an experience I shall probably never forget. Over the following 7 years I experienced amongst others ***bria, Orotava, Joule, Clerk Maxwell, Lynton Grange, Upwey Grange plus many others whose names elude me at this moment. I still have all my deck cadet books and journals so must drag them out for for a few hours welcome nostalgia. Leaving the merchant navy in 1980 as 2nd mate is my biggest ever regret, other than getting married the 1st time which is why I left in the first place.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I sailed as a chippy,for 7 trips to South America,I also have several butterfly items,I was on the Hardwicke when we lost a steward who drowned in Le Havre, when we got to LONDON we were late paying off because we had to tell them what happened, I was one of the 2 crew members who went into try to save him, he was called Norman,can any one else remember this.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hi Chris. Met your Dad when a lowley 3/0 on the "Royston Grange" laid up in Falmouth during the meat ban, sorry to report but a post in "Houlders Ships and Crews" page #28 by James Crosbie says that Peter died several years ago. rgds Jon

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hardwicke Grange was a very nice vessel, good accommodation, good food, and good crew with a good run, and plenty of time to get ashore in South America on the few trips I did. Steam turbine with large diesel generators for power, and she used a lot of auxiliary power as a fridge ship with all the refrigeration compressors running on the way home full of Argentinian Beef. Just about the Merchant Navy at its best.
Sailed on HArdwick as jun/5 eng 1963/65 Fred chapstick. Was 3eng
Happy days!jimmy nicol

·
Registered
2 Posts
Joined Hardwicke Grange in London as E.D>H. on maiden voyage. Capt. Kent in command. Top crew nearly all Geordies. Chuck Fairweather was the Bosun. Sailed with " Logger" Head on Hornby Grange.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the pleasure ( and it was a pleasure ) to sail on the Hardwike twice once as a cadet in 73 and later as a J/E in 75 Z berth was always a home from our trips to the Royston when we were studying up the road in Poplar, and again when I served on board the Hardwicke, our times in BA were legend and whos still got a Butterfly tray from Santos or a Coat from Casa Marios in Monte. John Purvis I recall as 2/E to the C/E Bomber Harris, Johns somewhat excentric personallity extend to his Al Cantor impressions at the drop of a head, another infamous engineer at the time was the "Grey Bager"
She was a lady and I thought this was the life till I was rudely awaken by haveing to actually work and not just leaveing it to the relief crew. Who can name the Bars on 25 de Mayo?
texas bar, new texas bar, cloe together, great memories

41 - 60 of 95 Posts