Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The silence from the learned ones on this forum is deafening, surely an oplnion or two.
My thoughts...what a mess, cut them off now, take the title and see what happens to their copyright of "sussexroyal". I feel the Queen gives titles and she can take them back.
I think they are both very lucky the Duke of Edinburgh is bedridden, he is loyal to the Queen and must feel disgusted at what is happening.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
A total waste of media air time. More important things going on. If you want family feuds then watch Eastenders.

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
The silence from the learned ones on this forum is deafening, surely an oplnion or two.
My thoughts...what a mess, cut them off now, take the title and see what happens to their copyright of "sussexroyal". I feel the Queen gives titles and she can take them back.
I think they are both very lucky the Duke of Edinburgh is bedridden, he is loyal to the Queen and must feel disgusted at what is happening.
The whole 'Royal Family' saga is like a badly written soap opera. The UK needs a 'Monarch' like a fish needs a bicycle. What is the point when a Prime Minister can openly lie and her assent, to this lie, cannot be withheld?

For those who support the monarchy an 'heir and a spare' should suffice; the rest should just have to earn a living (minus all HRH, Duke, etc. titles) like the rest of us.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
I'm not an authority on royal protocol but isn't he HRH Prince Harry by birthright?
Certainly appears to be pussywhipped but couldn't that be said of many? (Read)

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Can anyone explain how /where/why they get their "county names" - Sussexes , Cambridges, Yorkshires, Norfolks etc. Always puzzled me !

Just one more question- what do the male elements of this tribe always have a hand in their left pocket or across their abdomen for. Surly not holding up/in a bottle of Gaviscon?

In any event I have no real time for them so I say cut them loose and bw.

BW

J(Gleam)(Gleam)

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
I have one view on this, that you can't be half a royal. He is the patron of many charities, voluntary organisations and other worthy causes that are too deserving to have someone living half the year in Canada and only coming back to the UK to justify his salary. Last year he took over from Prince Philip as Captain General of the Royal Marines. It's not a part time job for a half royal/half businessman. The charities and voluntary*organisations that the Queen, Charlie, Princess Anne etc.. have supported all their lives are too good for a tourist royal.

To me he's 100% in or 100% out. He'd have been a popular royal but the UK does not do 'rent a royal' who flies in, dresses up and smiles and flies out to Canada again. As I see it, he's already made his decision, he's out.*

·
Malim Sahib Moderator
8,603 Posts
Harry had no choice over whether he wanted to be in the royal family or not, it is a burden (yes, a burden) which he, his wife and his children shall have to live with for the rest of his life regardless of the path he chooses from now on.
We should consider that his mother was literally hounded to death by a gutter press hell bent on satisfying the grotesque insatiability of the British public for scandal and the preverse need to know every aspect of the lives of the Royal family.
Consequently he has never been comfortable in the media spotlight and wishes to protect his family from the same trauma he and his mother went through. That same gutter press with their corresponding readership - ably led by the Daily Mail - are now picking up with Meghan where they left off with Diana.
As is usual, rather than consider the deep rooted problems which have led to this decision, all the ignorant out there wish to do is scream outrage and condemn him for it.
Some of you espousing nonsense about him being a part time Royal may wish to reconsider that statement when we consider Randy Andy is still on the civil list despite being forced to retreat into the background for basically being a suspected paedophile.
Being a patron of a charity or holding an honorary military rank is not enough work over the course of a year to even be considered part time, so there is no reason he cannot continue this patronage whilst still pursuing a quieter life spent partially abroad.
Let the boy and his wife be - he's done his bit, and that's a hell of a lot more than the detractors here and elsewhere.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I for one do not wish this pampered pair to come and reside in Canada. Why should we be lumbered by their security costs? I don't understand how an American and British person think they have the right to live here when many would-be immigrants who have skills we need are subject to rigorous screening.
I admire Queen Elizabeth but I think the time has come for us to foreby this archaic monarchy. No thanks a King Charles.

·
Registered
11,218 Posts
By even saying I don’t care I am giving the impression of caring more than I do.

However in the face of the utterly bizarre media onslaught I thought I should maybe at least read a bit about it. A few things did occur to me after just about the most depressing 15 - 20 minutes of my life:

1. I really really really don’t care
2. The way the press have treated it is freakin outrageous and seems to be directly proportional to if they are being sued by the royal couple or not. Contrived hardly covers it - my favourite was in The Heil of course (getting sued) “soldier who might have saved Harry’s life in Afghanistan is furious at the slap In The face to our brave lads “ nearly wet myself at that one
3. The readers comments are in the permarage/fury + region but basically boil down to - we don’t like mixed race american divorcees
4. The abuse that lassie has taken is utterly mental, so given what happened to his mother - if I was in his position I’d have said **** you clowns I’m outa here - a long time ago
5. Who cares and why does anyone read newspapers anymore.
6. I really feel I have to reiterate how much I don’t care and how little effect it has on my life in fact none whatsoever.

Regardless of all that, good luck to the lad and his wife and I hope he finds some peace away from the shower of **** that is around him now in terms of family, media and permaraged little englander racist ****s.

Now I’m away to do something I do care about and is much more important - have a dump and scratch my ginger hairy balls

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
People encourage opinions then others delight in ****ging off those who offer them. What a strange way to conduct yourself.

Princess Anne chose not to be in the public gaze and she undertakes the greatest number of public engagements year after year and is greatly appreciated by the countless charities and volunteer organisations she supports.

To hold a military rank demands respect from both sides, the RM in the field and the prince back. That relationship or bond is fractured when it becomes apparent the fellow has a separate agenda.

Throw catty remarks and scratch your balls... I guess most people care even less than they do what happens to Harry.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
From a very reliable source, apparently, Phil the Greek refused to attend the summit stating that he had no wish to engage in negotiations with a no mark half caste saying he warned them from day one that she was a problem in waiting. Sad thing is that it is ruining his once great relationship with his much loved grandson.

Just shows that you can say anything when your old and get away with it! So with that in mind, fcuk Meghan!

Ps, he offered to drive Meghan to the airport a couple of weeks ago......joking!

·
Registered
23,019 Posts
I can understand people in DHSS offices concerning themselves with their lack of money.......both claimants and employees.
Same goes for dole offices..... railway stations..... supermarkets...... bus queues...... airports..... the list is endless.
How public money can be part of any equation when applied to this issue........ I don't understand.
Just as Andrew will never see the inside of a court room....... these two will never see the inside of a Job Center
If they did..... . they would be queuing behind many people who had also..... "done their bit".
Same could be said for charity offices.....

https://www.soldiersoffthestreet.org/1-les

·
Premium Member
10,420 Posts
The Civil List is public money only in being a remuneration mechanism due to the Crown following George III agreeing to hand over the then possessions of the Monarch to Parliament in exchange.

Until then the Monarch had been responsible for paying the employees of the state out of the revenues those estates and possessions generated. For wars and other adventures which those revenues could not cover the Monarch had had to approach parliament to raise an appropriate tax to cover the additional expenditure. Had George II been better at it then his Grandson may have not agreed such a disadvantageous (to him) contract. That would have left Defence, the Civil Service etc. and the responsibility for welfare (largely divested onto the parishes along with its expense).

One may wonder if it would not have been better managed if left as it was. Maybe to the point where the 'appropriated' formerly Crown properties generated enough income to cover the State infrastructure including the Civil List, without taxation. Is this not the target of every sovereign wealth fund?

The obvious counter to this is illuminated by the question of how the Monarch acquired those estates in the first place and whether that was a good bargain for, at the lowest level, the serfs and manorial lords in exchange for the powerful protection each successive King (nearly always) promised.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I am fairly well mannered. How do I get on the civil list? I will pay for my own protection.
The only protection the Royals need is protected sex, then we would all benefit. Jim Royale and his family seem a perfect substitute for the other lot. I am not anti royal, I just have better things to do.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts