Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Yes I managed to contact a J/E I sailed with on the Arctic Troll with Denholms 1977 and also a J/E from the BP Vigour 1987. I have not seen the guys since that date and hope to meet up soon for a few beers. One of them only spent a short time in the MN and is now retired and the other is still at sea as a C/E and I want to find out from him what life is like at sea nowadays.

One of them contacted me via Facebook and I found the other on Facebook.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi All,

Has anyone managed to catch up with anybody that you sailed with years ago, and have a beer with?
I guess that you would have had some great stories if you did.
Cheers Ray
Hi Ray just bumped into an old friend of mine in Ormskirk village purser by the name of Bill gardener we sailed together on the Brock's ships in the seventys and still meet him at least once a week tony

·
Registered
254 Posts
Here is a message of a Facebook group page -
Neil FillinghamCunard Shipping Services - Cargo Division

0October 2343 at8 n172:160151 PrhuM ·

Most Christmas’s a number of ex Cunard reprobates meet for an unofficial Christmas piss up at the Midland Hotel Pub. This year it is planned for December 17th. This is organized by Chris Ball and some of the usual suspects are Jeff (jerry) Grice, Degsy Clark, Vince Des Landes, Norman Dibbert and a number of Chief Engineers whose names I can’t recall. Anyway fancy a good afternoon pop along.
Thats the Midland Hotel opposite central station Liverpool.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Here is a message of a Facebook group page -
Neil FillinghamCunard Shipping Services - Cargo Division

0October 2343 at8 n172:160151 PrhuM ·

Most Christmas’s a number of ex Cunard reprobates meet for an unofficial Christmas piss up at the Midland Hotel Pub. This year it is planned for December 17th. This is organized by Chris Ball and some of the usual suspects are Jeff (jerry) Grice, Degsy Clark, Vince Des Landes, Norman Dibbert and a number of Chief Engineers whose names I can’t recall. Anyway fancy a good afternoon pop along.
Thats the Midland Hotel opposite central station Liverpool.
Hi now that's a name I remember well Neil Fillingham tony hines chippy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi All,

Has anyone managed to catch up with anybody that you sailed with years ago, and have a beer with?
Cheers Ray
I was a Vindi boy,1960, mate o mine went to the vindi after me, 1960, lost touch for years, 1970,was on the Orcades, berthing, i chucked the heaving line ashore, well, me old mate caught it,he was linesman on the wharf, later on, was on the Orsova,1971, skinned out Aussie,, got married, went to Kiwi for our honeymoon, YEP, met me olde mate again in Auckland, He is now living in Scouseland, I am now living in Nor West Victoria,my mate went back to sea, U K ships, I stayed 10 years in Kiwi on the Kiwi ships, came back to Aussie, got on the Aussie ships, Was gonna go to the U K last year to see me mate / family, the virus stuffed that !

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All,

Cheers Ray
Former Union Castle Officers have a massive reunion every 3 years in Southampton, I am coming from RSA in2022 to attend, it's organised by the former Pursers.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I was a Vindi boy,1960, mate o mine went to the vindi after me, 1960, lost touch for years, 1970,was on the Orcades, berthing, i chucked the heaving line ashore, well, me old mate caught it,he was linesman on the wharf, later on, was on the Orsova,1971, skinned out Aussie,, got married, went to Kiwi for our honeymoon, YEP, met me olde mate again in Auckland, He is now living in Scouseland, I am now living in Nor West Victoria,my mate went back to sea, U K ships, I stayed 10 years in Kiwi on the Kiwi ships, came back to Aussie, got on the Aussie ships, Was gonna go to the U K last year to see me mate / family, the virus stuffed that !
Hi jock enjoyed your post yes mate it's a small world when I sailed on the act boats we had a visit from a fellow of a ship in Melbourne he was cook on the Australian trader he was originally from Liverpool but lived in Frankton outside Melbourne his name was John Ball on other times stayed with his family or he would come down to Melbourne for a drink al a long time ago regards tony

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did about 12 years on the U K ships ( Glasgow pool ) then about 8 years on the Kiwi ships ( out of Auckland ) then 30 years or so on the Aussie ships ( Port Adelaide ) was loads of U K seamen shipping out o Kiwi / Aussie, most of them like me, " skinned out ', i did the last 15 years of my seagoing ( until i retired ) on the Port Adelaide tugs, used to do a lot o the ACT boats, even my wife is English, ( Stockport ) met her in Sydney, we now live in Nor west Victoria. been in a maritime union all my life, N U S, then , N Z seamans union, then in Aussie, was a wharfie / docker for a wee while, Waterside Workers Federation, the the S U A ( seamans union of Australia ) then the M U A ( when the S U A @ the W W F amalgamated ) My shortest trip, 6 hours, joined a ship in Glasgow to do a run job, to London, signed on 10 am, payed off 4 pm, run job cancelled, longest trip, 11months 22 days, tramping around the world, joined Hong Kong, payed off Japan, funny, the only time i got to the U K after skinning out in Melbourne in 71, was around 85 when i was on a new Aussie tanker ( Mobil Flinders ) again tramping around the world, on her we went to the Orkneys / Shetlands / up the Thames / Southhampton etc etc, No chance to get home to Ayr / Scotland, as mostly in port 24 hours or so.
Anyway Stay safe out there with this $#$# virus, our state just opened up today, all up , on and off ,we have had 260 days n lockdown,
WE in Aussie, have a F B site, Irish guy i know, lives in Melbourne, his name is Sean Breen , ( another skinnout ) site is called the Happy Homeboats, , Sean runs it, we have U K seamen from EVERYWHERE on and , and lets not forget all the lovely ladies to from Monties / the Snakepit / Ma Gleesons / Bettys Bar, the list goes. I will ask Sean if he knows that cook,? as Sean remembers names from 50 years ago, where as I forget what i had for breckie !

·
Registered
92 Posts
I did about 12 years on the U K ships ( Glasgow pool ) then about 8 years on the Kiwi ships ( out of Auckland ) then 30 years or so on the Aussie ships ( Port Adelaide ) was loads of U K seamen shipping out o Kiwi / Aussie, most of them like me, " skinned out ', i did the last 15 years of my seagoing ( until i retired ) on the Port Adelaide tugs, used to do a lot o the ACT boats, even my wife is English, ( Stockport ) met her in Sydney, we now live in Nor west Victoria. been in a maritime union all my life, N U S, then , N Z seamans union, then in Aussie, was a wharfie / docker for a wee while, Waterside Workers Federation, the the S U A ( seamans union of Australia ) then the M U A ( when the S U A @ the W W F amalgamated ) My shortest trip, 6 hours, joined a ship in Glasgow to do a run job, to London, signed on 10 am, payed off 4 pm, run job cancelled, longest trip, 11months 22 days, tramping around the world, joined Hong Kong, payed off Japan, funny, the only time i got to the U K after skinning out in Melbourne in 71, was around 85 when i was on a new Aussie tanker ( Mobil Flinders ) again tramping around the world, on her we went to the Orkneys / Shetlands / up the Thames / Southhampton etc etc, No chance to get home to Ayr / Scotland, as mostly in port 24 hours or so.
Anyway Stay safe out there with this $#$# virus, our state just opened up today, all up , on and off ,we have had 260 days n lockdown,
WE in Aussie, have a F B site, Irish guy i know, lives in Melbourne, his name is Sean Breen , ( another skinnout ) site is called the Happy Homeboats, , Sean runs it, we have U K seamen from EVERYWHERE on and , and lets not forget all the lovely ladies to from Monties / the Snakepit / Ma Gleesons / Bettys Bar, the list goes. I will ask Sean if he knows that cook,? as Sean remembers names from 50 years ago, where as I forget what i had for breckie !
Hi jock you've had an interesting life my dad was from Stockport like your wife don't know were to start 😉 anyway I came out of my apprenticeship and joined ocean monarch first trip 1973 sailed out of port Melbourne on Aussie cruises as carpenter after that sailed with different companies even had a time in carather on maersk offshore full Aussie crew just retired 2years ago had 47 years at sea never will forget the Kiwi coast still recall Aussie coast I've even drove a pertained crane down the Quay in Melbourne p*****of course 😀 best regards tony

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi All,

Cheers Ray
Hi All,

Cheers Ray
Hi Raymon,
Yes! My friend John and I attended the State University of New York Maritime College and were both cadets on our training ship the "Empire State V" for three summer sea terms ('83,'84 & '85). We graduated in '86. Then we went our separate ways sailing on ships to eventually become Masters. In Sept. 2019 we met up for some beers in Singapore and it was a blast. I am retired in Hawaii and John has a shore job in Singapore.
Cheers
MM Yuen

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Former Union Castle Officers have a massive reunion every 3 years in Southampton, I am coming from RSA in2022 to attend, it's organised by the former Pursers.
Hi Lynne,
Have a great time with the memories and all those that you catch up with.
Me I would love to see Durban and Cape Town again.
Happy Days
Cheers Ray

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi jock you've had an interesting life my dad was from Stockport like your wife don't know were to start 😉 anyway I came out of my apprenticeship and joined ocean monarch first trip 1973 sailed out of port Melbourne on Aussie cruises as carpenter after that sailed with different companies even had a time in carather on maersk offshore full Aussie crew just retired 2years ago had 47 years at sea never will forget the Kiwi coast still recall Aussie coast I've even drove a pertained crane down the Quay in Melbourne p*****of course 😀 best regards tony
Ocean Monarch, Know in Aussie / Kiwi as the Ocean Maniac, think i went on board in Auckland, 70,s ,just for a LIGHT refreshment, almost ended up sailing on it, flaked out in the crew bar !

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ocean Monarch, Know in Aussie / Kiwi as the Ocean Maniac, think i went on board in Auckland, 70,s ,just for a LIGHT refreshment, almost ended up sailing on it, flaked out in the crew bar !
Hi Jock,
LIGHT refreshment? Hope that you still have a can spanner!
Bit hard to find nowadays, used to be one in every case.
Unless of course you got the golden spanner for drinking the most.
Happy Days mate!
Cheers Ray

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi All,

Cheers Ray
In 1957 I was 3rd engineer on the RMS Essequibo and the junior on my watch was a Keith Robertson who was from the Isle of Wight, and we became good friends aboard & ashore! I only did 1 voyage on the Essequibo and on leaving never saw or had contact with Keith ever again.
Well not until we had contact by phone in 2005 when I was back in Newcastle, that was 48 years since we had last talked. During our conversation he suggested I visit him on the Isle of Wight next time I was in England. I did just that in 2010 and stayed with him and his wife for 3 days, and did the same again in 2012.
Have been in regular contact by phone ever since.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Think that might have been the Dominion Monarch. The old DM, almost as famous around the NZ coast as the Captain Cook in the 50s.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My brother Bob Keavy was a pilot in Adelaide, died about seven years ago.
Frank Keavy

·
Registered
153 Posts
Monties , Ma Gleesons and don.t forget the upstairs lounge of the Great Northern in Auckland or the Legs of Man in Liverpool. Great memories.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts