Ships Nostalgia banner
101 - 120 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Dear Harry T.:

Thank you for your replies and video about Capt. (Doc) Savage. Should you find the pictures of you and Capt. Savage I would greatly appreciate.

I have an email that you can send the pictures directly to me: [email protected]

Best Regards:

Capt. Duarte

·
Registered
382 Posts
chasH

any info on any Headline Shipping Co., of Belfast especially Orlock Head
hi sailed with ab called john linnet i think, he talked a lot about head line and the red hand of ulster something about cutting off there hand and throwing it ashore, don't know if that's true perhaps you have more knowledge of this mine is only hearsay, all the best chasH

·
Registered
637 Posts
hi sailed with ab called john linnet i think, he talked a lot about head line and the red hand of ulster something about cutting off there hand and throwing it ashore, don't know if that's true perhaps you have more knowledge of this mine is only hearsay, all the best chasH
John Lynott aka Mad Dog. He was a nice guy and got his nickname by biting a police dog which tried to bite him. He got off with a fine. The story about the hand is oft told, would be better if it were true. but alas ......

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would really like some information about the Dunaff Head. My grandfather sailed on her before he got married in 1938.
Does anyone know where I could get records of crew/voyages etc?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Sharla - I have copied the relevant page from "Head Line" by W J Harvey, published by the World Ship Society in 1990.
I hope this works OK!
Cheers
Wil

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Amanda Fay

Hi Amanda

I sailed on the Carrigan Head in 1963 as 2nd Engineer, I am sorry I cannot recall your grandfather, I can only assume he was on deck whereas I was in the engine room. If you wish to make more enquiries it would be helpful if you knew what he did at sea.
Kindest regards
Harry

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rathlin Head

hi Harry, I had a nice surprise when I came upon your name on this site, my mind took me back to bye-gone days.You were 2nd mate, I one of the four cadets, there was Eric White, Brian Kernaghan myself and young Desi McKinley. I was lucky enough to be on your watch which I enjoyed, I recall one time when we dropped the pilot off at Belfast, you said to me, "right your in charge, set the course" "WOW" I thought, Oh I'm sure you kept watch. Then there was the time in the middle of the Atlantic on the 12/4 we were peckish on watch, ABs were eating well so you sent me out on a scouting errand to find eggs & bacon, which I did and we enjoyed them. Also I remember you showing me a photo on the bridge of your wife, I'm think it was your first trip after your wedding. By the way I'm Raymond Seaye, I now live in Australia, I've have been in touch Desi, Brian and a few others. Harry, it was pleasure to know you and sail with you, give my best regards to your family. Raymond S.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Old Ship Mates

Hi:
Found this page on forum. Can any one help me find out what happened to some of the Guys I sail with during my time with Headline.

I was Deck apprentice and third Mate. Started 1967 on Ramore Head, Sailed on Fair Head Roonah, Torr, Carrigian

Lost track of most of the guys. Looking for any information on Harry Brown. Duncan Gillies Awin Soppit I think he moved to St John NB. Bambi Thompson. or Telford Evans

Any information would be great.

I am now retired living in New Zealand. Left the MN and Retrained as an Electrician and moved to NZ having worked here and Australia.

Les Lewis,

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Les, I private messaged you - click on "Private messages" at the top of the page. Rowan "Dorcus" Dickson would love to hear from you. He remembers you and is also in touch with Telford and others. :) Email me at splisson "at" nbnet.nb.ca and I will give you his email address.
Suzanne

·
Registered
441 Posts
Hi:
Found this page on forum. Can any one help me find out what happened to some of the Guys I sail with ...............Looking for any information on ............ Awin Soppit I think he moved to St John NB.
Les Lewis,
Les
Alwyn (AL) Soppitt did indeed move to St John NB where he later joined the St John Port Corporation and was President and CEO of that organisation on his retirement in 2011. Sadly Al passed away in January 2013.
John

·
Registered
2 Posts
Jb51

Hi Les, sent a message on Facebook, but am now with this forum, I am looking for some ex Head Line Apprentices, so see if we can work it out together

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Head Line faces

Hi:
Found this page on forum. Can any one help me find out what happened to some of the Guys I sail with during my time with Headline.

I was Deck apprentice and third Mate. Started 1967 on Ramore Head, Sailed on Fair Head Roonah, Torr, Carrigian

Lost track of most of the guys. Looking for any information on Harry Brown. Duncan Gillies Awin Soppit I think he moved to St John NB. Bambi Thompson. or Telford Evans

I am now retired living in New Zealand. Left the MN and Retrained as an Electrician and moved to NZ having worked here and Australia.

Les Lewis,
on this wee clip as follows;
http://www.shipsnostalgia.tv/members/action/viewvideo/3410/some_Head_Line_faces/?vpkey=
Hi Les, the senior 'apprehension' on the wheel (I forget) with Norman Stark (o.w.)then Wally Sherwood, wee Billy(the cook), Bob Wortley and me. The senior apprentice again then Wally getting ready to entertain at the locks. Norman in charge-B.O.T. sports. Finally 'Swifty',yours truly and is it yourself? best regards Harry t.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
some Head Line faces

on this wee clip as follows;
http://www.shipsnostalgia.tv/members/action/viewvideo/3410/some_Head_Line_faces/?vpkey=
Hi Les, the senior 'apprehension' on the wheel (I forget) with Norman Stark (o.w.)then Wally Sherwood, wee Billy(the cook), Bob Wortley and me. The senior apprentice again then Wally getting ready to entertain at the locks. Norman in charge-B.O.T. sports. Finally 'Swifty',yours truly and is it yourself? best regards Harry t.
circa; 1955/56 Fanad and Ramore

·
Registered
16 Posts
Could the person who I private messaged with about Alwyn Soppit and house parties at the Mullin home in Saint John, NB please message me or email at splisson "at" nbnet.nb.ca I talked to Fran's sister and have found the house. Mrs. Mullin their Mom was Irish and let the Head Liners party there with guitar singing and so on, saying they were a nice bunch. She let them stay and fed them a big breakfast before sending them back to the ship in the morning.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I Emergrated to Canada aboard the Rathlin Head in april 1964 a very pleasant trip with many memorys. I was put onto the Company by my uncle Dave he worked as an engineer on board the Head line fleet before he went to Canada in the 1950s is name is David Haggerty.
Hi Mel, I think we were on the same ship. Was your wife's name Ann?
I travelled with my girlfriend April 1964 - I believe we arrived in Montreal on April 12 on the Rathlin Head from Liverpool - we were the third ship up the St. Lawrence that year.

If I have the right Mel - we used to drive to Niagara Falls in your red
Pontiac I think.

Would love to have a private e-mail shout out from you.
Astoria

·
Registered
441 Posts
Could the person who I private messaged with about Alwyn Soppit and house parties at the Mullin home in Saint John, NB please message me or email at splisson "at" nbnet.nb.ca I talked to Fran's sister and have found the house. Mrs. Mullin their Mom was Irish and let the Head Liners party there with guitar singing and so on, saying they were a nice bunch. She let them stay and fed them a big breakfast before sending them back to the ship in the morning.
Hi SuziePC - PM on its way to you, apologies for the delay.
John

101 - 120 of 153 Posts