Ships Nostalgia banner

121 - 140 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Captain Cyrill Pringle and Captain ? Sheilds

Hi There;

I am the daughter of William (Bill) O'Laughlin. My father (now deceased) was a good friend of Cyrill (Cy) Pringle (also now deceased). I am trying to put together some information and pictures from his life. My father and Cy worked together here in Canada: Halifax NS and St. John NB. They also worked together in the USA: Duluth, Minn. One of their good buddies was a Captain by the name of Sheilds also from Ireland. I recall a lot of nice times with him and I have several old pictures of him. I don' t have his first name or the ship he sailed so I am trying to track down anything out there. Anything you can provide will be most helpful. Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Cy Pringle

Hi, Sorry I don't have anything on your Dad, but a couple of photos of Cy. If you look at the Facebook group "Head Line Ships" and put PRINGLE in the search box up top, you can see them. I don't recognize the Captain Sheilds you mentioned, sorry.
Suzanne Carter

·
Registered
3 Posts
i sailed on the Inishowenhead of the Head lines in 1971
If you ever sailed up the St. Lawrence, to Port Arthur, and landed at Keefer Terminal, my father, Captain R M Browne, a former Captain on the Head Line, was Vice President of Lakehead Shipping. We might have met!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Many thanks for the video, just stumbled on it! David Alexander was the senior pilot on my watch when I joined BHC, a true gentleman!

·
Registered
3 Posts
St Lawrence Seaway to Port Arthur - Lakehead Shipping

i sailed on the Inishowenhead of the Head lines in 1971
If you ever sailed up the St. Lawrence, to Port Arthur, and landed at Keefer Terminal, my father, Captain R M Browne, a former Captain on the Head Line, was Vice President of Lakehead Shipping. We might have met!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Alas no! I only got to know David when I joined the pilots and having sailed with Bank Line we never made to the St Lawrence.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for responding! I appreciate it. Not sure any Head Line people are left anymore. My father passed away in the early 90s.

Good to hear from you, though. Best wishes!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Thanks for responding! I appreciate it. Not sure any Head Line people are left anymore. My father passed away in the early 90s.

Good to hear from you, though. Best wishes!
shb64. Susan P Carter has a Headline Group on Facebook of which I am a member, she is also a member here. She has a fund of information on The Headline.

We would like to hear from you. David.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
It was Head/Lord Line later was Head/Donaldson Line.
Head Line was a fore-runner of Port Line via JP Corry who still exist in Belfast as a timber merchants. Head Lines history is very complicated & verrrryyy interesting.
McG
Inaccurate statement, in part.

Ulster Steamship (Head Line) / G Heyn & Sons had no connection whatsoever with J P Corry or Port Line.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all, I just joined. My father was a Radio Officer on the Carrigan Head, Patrick G. Murray in the early - mid 1960s. I am delighted to have the opportunity to find all this information and photos about the USS Co on your forum.

Many thanks,

Patrick Murray Jr.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi all,
If anyone remembers Billy Gardner ex 3rd mate Head Line, 2nd mate Everards,he sadly passed away some time ago, relatively young, his wife Lena died last week,
R.I.P.

·
Registered
7 Posts
captain maxwell

hi ruud, my two uncles sailed on inishowen head they were called charlie and Alex whitlathey sailed under a captain maxwell

Ahoy,

Found the Fair Head, here her details:

Fair Head[1573 GT] built in 1957 at the Arnhem Shipbuilding Co, for the Ulster Steamship Co.-Belfast.
She was inaugurated the Head Line's service from the U.K. to the Great Lakes trade.
Specially strengthened for ice navigation over her whole length and in addition has an ice-knife at her stern, rather unusual for British ships,her equipment includes special wharping and mooring gear required for passing through the locks above Montreal.
LOA:258'
B:42'
D:18'
Eng:Werkspoor-Lugt diesel of 1800 bhp at 164 r.p.m with direct drive gives her a speed of 13½ kn.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi All, most enjoyable Head Line site, I joined Head Line in 1958 as sixth junior engineer on the Roonagh Head, worked on the ship in H & W, and went through the ranks on this ship up to Chief Engineer, sailing as Ch Eng on all the Head line ships.
Left Head line when it was obviously going out of business and sailed with Harrisons (Clyde) Glasgow as Chief Engineer, including commissioning them for U.M.S until retiring in 1986, commissioning some for U.M.S. Quite a few Head line ex Head Line officers were in this company. Harry Kicubbin.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Fastfree, There are two pages dedicated to Captain Black's career in W.J. Harvey's book "Head Line, G. Heyn & Sons Ltd. " It includes a photo of him. Pages 147-148. I can't figure out how to post it here but I have a Facebook group of over 200 members called "Head Line Ships" and it is posted on there. You'll find the group is private so you have to join to see it but we welcome you ! The link is https://www.facebook.com/groups/576542832459782/

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Hi Fastfree, There are two pages dedicated to Captain Black's career in W.J. Harvey's book "Head Line, G. Heyn & Sons Ltd. " It includes a photo of him. Pages 147-148. I can't figure out how to post it here but I have a Facebook group of over 200 members called "Head Line Ships" and it is posted on there. You'll find the group is private so you have to join to see it but we welcome you ! The link is https://www.facebook.com/groups/576542832459782/
The author W. J. Harvey was, maybe still is, a member on this site

121 - 140 of 140 Posts