Ships Nostalgia banner
141 - 153 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Head Line faces

on this wee clip as follows;
Shipsnostalgia TV - The best in Shipping Videos
Hi Les, the senior 'apprehension' on the wheel (I forget) with Norman Stark (o.w.)then Wally Sherwood, wee Billy(the cook), Bob Wortley and me. The senior apprentice again then Wally getting ready to entertain at the locks. Norman in charge-B.O.T. sports. Finally 'Swifty',yours truly and is it yourself? best regards Harry t.
I can't appear to find this clip on the SN TV, it says that it has been deleted by the admin! Do you have a link to a U-tube version. Norman was my brother-in-law, he passed away a couple of years ago, sadly his wife, my sister, passed away last month and their family were looking for any early memories of their younger days.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I can't appear to find this clip on the SN TV, it says that it has been deleted by the admin! Do you have a link to a U-tube version. Norman was my brother-in-law, he passed away a couple of years ago, sadly his wife, my sister, passed away last month and their family were looking for any early memories of their younger days.
- MV Santona, Ulster Steamship Co.
- Carrigan Head 1967 west bound on E track

Hi and hello irvingman, sorry to hear of your loss, below is an old photo of Norman's uncle Stanley - Stanley was master on the Rathlin when my 1st born was announced by telegram on a passage from Montreal towards Cork, - just another excuse to break out the hard stuff and a box of white owl cigars best regards harry t.

·
Registered
443 Posts
- MV Santona, Ulster Steamship Co.
- Carrigan Head 1967 west bound on E track

Hi and hello irvingman, sorry to hear of your loss, below is an old photo of Norman's uncle Stanley - Stanley was master on the Rathlin when my 1st born was announced by telegram on a passage from Montreal towards Cork, - just another excuse to break out the hard stuff and a box of white owl cigars best regards harry t.
View attachment 683024
Many thanks Harry. I've put a photo on the Head Line site as Norman & Pat's family are trying to put a name to their Best Man.
Kind regards
John H

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
a pleasure John, i don't doubt there's someone out there who will oblige his family - i'll have a look too, if i can find it - the old eyesight is not as sharp as it was.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Many thanks Harry. I've put a photo on the Head Line site as Norman & Pat's family are trying to put a name to their Best Man.
Kind regards
John H
morning John, am a bit slow on the uptrake these days, just remembered there's facebook page ;
Facebook Groups - Head Line Ships - the administrator is a very knowledgeable Suzanne, in St.John NB.- the last I was aware, a few years back, Jayne Copeland and Stanley Jameson, relations of Norman, were members and certainly would know the best man. Someone on that site will know all. I just remembered Normans close friend back in the late sixties was the 3rd mate, John Stewart from Montreal, they had sailed together on the Santona that trip I made the vid. - it was likely John who took some of the shots for me. - much of it lost in an earlier computer crash. best regards Harry t.

·
Registered
443 Posts
morning John, am a bit slow on the uptrake these days, just remembered there's facebook page ;
Facebook Groups - Head Line Ships - the administrator is a very knowledgeable Suzanne, in St.John NB.- the last I was aware, a few years back, Jayne Copeland and Stanley Jameson, relations of Norman, were members and certainly would know the best man. Someone on that site will know all. I just remembered Normans close friend back in the late sixties was the 3rd mate, John Stewart from Montreal, they had sailed together on the Santona that trip I made the vid. - it was likely John who took some of the shots for me. - much of it lost in an earlier computer crash. best regards Harry t.
Many Thanks Harry, I've contacted Suzanne and will see what turns up.Kind regards, John.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is probably a bit of a long shot, but I will try anyway,
I am researching ships my Grandpa sailed on 1918-1925.
I have found pictures of all ships except one.
Does anyone out there have a picture/photograph of SS Lord Antrim, 113518, Built 1902 in Belfast, Registered in Belfast, Scrapped in 1934.
I have found plenty of references to her, however no picture.
Thank you in anticipation.
SteveMcC

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Steve,
You may have a problem locating a photo as indeed I did for my 1989 book HEAD LINE. Not even one in the archives at G. Heyn & Sons

LORD ANTRIM
O.N. 113518. 4,269g. 2,774n. 375.3 x 47.2 x 28.8 feet.
T.3-cyl. (26”, 43” and 72” x 48”) by the shipbuilder. 409nhp.
13.02.1902: Launched by Workman Clark and Co Ltd, Belfast (Yard No. 159) for Irish Shipowners' Co. Ltd. (T. Dixon and Sons), Belfast
04.1902: Completed.
05.04.1902: Registered at Belfast.
29.06.1915 until 31.10.1915: Collier Transport No. 748
13.01.1916 until 08.10.1916: Expeditionary Force Transport moving Canadian stores.
04.09.1916: Sold in principle to Ulster Steamship Co Ltd (G.Heyn and Sons Ltd, managers) Belfast.
09.10.1916 until 05.11.1916: Collier Transport No. 748
06.11.1916 until 13.03.1917: Wheat from Australia for the Royal Commission.
14.03.1917 until 29.01.1918: Wheat from America for the Royal Commission.
10.1917: Taken over by the Ulster Steamship Co Ltd on ratification of sale.
31.12.1917: G Heyn and Sons Ltd appointed as managers.
30.01.1918 until 13.03.1918: Collier Transport No. 748
14.03.1918 until 15.10.1918: French Government service transporting steel from America.
16.10.1918 until 01.02.1919: Squadron Collier No. 107.
02.02.1919 until 29.04.1919: Liner Requisition Scheme.
1934: Sold for £4,427.13s. 9d. to Metal Industries Ltd for demolition at Rosyth.
03.05.1934: Delivered at Rosyth
13.06.1934: Work commenced.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you for your prompt reply Bill.
Interesting information. My Grampa‘s discharge book put him on this ship May - Nov 1923 Dublin - Montreal Belfast, see entries 8 & 9 in the attached.
Rectangle Handwriting Font Wood Parallel

Its a shame I can’t find a pic as I’ve got pics of all his other ships. I guess as its near enough 100 years ago I’m probably expecting a little too much.
Is your book still available? If so is there an ISBN?
Thanks again
Steve

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
The book has been out of print for a number of years but occasionally used copies pop up for sale

HEAD LINE G. Heyn & Sons Ltd by W. J. Harvey Published by The World Ship Society 1990

ISBN 0 905617 53 3

A5 size 160 pages

·
Registered
16 Posts
This is probably a bit of a long shot, but I will try anyway,
I am researching ships my Grandpa sailed on 1918-1925.
I have found pictures of all ships except one.
Does anyone out there have a picture/photograph of SS Lord Antrim, 113518, Built 1902 in Belfast, Registered in Belfast, Scrapped in 1934.
I have found plenty of references to her, however no picture.
Thank you in anticipation.
SteveMcC
Hi Steve, I have 1 of the LORD ANTRIM but didn't save the source. You may enjoy our Facebook group "Head Line Ships". Regards, Suzanne Carter

·
Registered
4 Posts
Absolutely amazing!
I really appreciate you finding that for me Suzanne.
Thanks to you I now have pictures of all the ships my Grampa sailed on 1918 - 1925.
I will also follow up your Facebook group suggestion.
Regards
Steve

141 - 153 of 153 Posts