Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wonder if anyone could help with the name of song or singer(A male)
All ive got is a couple of the words i think its
Keep your feet still geordie Hinney
help me happy through the nite
Regards Bobby(Glasgow)
Or what about geordie lad?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Bobby,

A few people have recorded "Keep your feet still ....". Probably the most famous being the High Level Ranters who had it as an album title and featured song on a 1970s album on the Trailer label No LER 2020. You could probably pick up a copy on ebay although I just checked and this one isn't advertised currently on the UK listings. The full list of songs on it are: Keep yor feet still, The Paanshop bleezin, The Lambton Worm, Come Geordie ha'd the bairn, Geordie Black, Adam Buckham, Cushie Butterfield, The Neighbours doon belaa, Wor Nannie's a mazor, The Weshin Day, Last Neet, The Blaydon Races

There is also a version by one of my favourite singers (alas dead) Louis Killen who I know much better as a singer of old ballads - his version is on a currently available Topic lable CD which you can check out here: http://www.topicrecords.co.uk/acatalog/index2.html

I was always told the Geordies were just Jocks without kilts - maybe that is why you are interested in this song? (LOL)
Regards,

Brian

·
Banned
8 Posts
Brian, I was just talking about the High Level Ranters the other day, I used to go to a folk club here in South Shields from 1964 to 1973 and the High Level ranters were regular guests, happy days.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Jeff,

I thought your were a a Makem rather than a Geordie but I guess you are all good friends really (Hmmm. Maybe not!)

Those were the days indeed. I once saw Martin Carthy performing in a dodgy pub somewhere near Billingham. I have a number of old LPs of ballads and "industrial" songs from the NE area. Some of my favourites are Louis Killen, Tommy Armstrong (known by recordings made by others - he pegged it yonks ago) and Jack Elliott of Birtley who recorded a song about a duck - I think it is called "The little duck".

In case you divnt knaaa it, here are the words (or at least one version of them). Some of us have great sympathy for the sufferings of this creature. :mad:

"A spuggie chirppin' on the tiles, (spuggie=sparrow)
nivvor suffors from the piles,
becos' there nivvor was one yet,
that got his backside soppin' wet.

The little duck that nivvor smiles,
has nee sutch luck he gets the piles
and when he flowts on watter blue,
the naggin' pain strikes thru & thru.

Noo how wad ye feel if y'****,
was trailin' on the soddin' grass?
for when he's wa'kin rund and rund,
his backside's bobbin' on the grund.

Iv-orry time he dips his heed,
t'get his neb doon t'the weed (!)
(neb=beak)
he cocks his little **** on high,
t'try an' get the bugger dry!

So when yus hear a duck gan 'quack',
divvunt huff nor torn y'back,
divvunt say 'ye geet fond thing',
nor sing 'ye flat @rsed bugger, sing!

De ye think the bugger would?
Even if the bugger could,
A duck gans quack, but divvint forget,
His backside's always soppin wet"

For the full effect this song has to be sung with an audience who repeat the last line of each verse as a chorus.

Brian

·
Banned
25 Posts
Bobby, I have a copy of the song on my hard drive by a singer named Owen Brannigan.
It obviously has been taken from a 78rpm record: there is some low popping and crackling in the background, but the voice itself is loud and clear.
If I'm not mistaken, the lyrics are sung to the tune of "Goodbye, Dolly Gray".
If you, or anyone else, would like a copy, send me your EMail address by Private Message and I'll send it on to you.

Owen Brannigan:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owen_Brannigan

Bruce C

·
Registered
6,180 Posts
benjidog said:
Hi Bobby,

A few people have recorded "Keep your feet still ....". Probably the most famous being the High Level Ranters who had it as an album title and featured song on a 1970s album on the Trailer label No LER 2020. You could probably pick up a copy on ebay although I just checked and this one isn't advertised currently on the UK listings. The full list of songs on it are: Keep yor feet still, The Paanshop bleezin, The Lambton Worm, Come Geordie ha'd the bairn, Geordie Black, Adam Buckham, Cushie Butterfield, The Neighbours doon belaa, Wor Nannie's a mazor, The Weshin Day, Last Neet, The Blaydon Races

There is also a version by one of my favourite singers (alas dead) Louis Killen who I know much better as a singer of old ballads - his version is on a currently available Topic lable CD which you can check out here: http://www.topicrecords.co.uk/acatalog/index2.html

I was always told the Geordies were just Jocks without kilts - maybe that is why you are interested in this song? (LOL)
Regards,

Brian
Geordies were Jocks 'With their brains kicked in' or so I was led to believe. Luckily I'm a Makem!! (Thumb)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Pat McCardle said:
Geordies were Jocks 'With their brains kicked in' or so I was led to believe. Luckily I'm a Makem!! (Thumb)
Everyone knows Hadrian built the Wall and threw over all the English rejects (mainley Makems!!) (*))

For those of a more cultered nature than our cousins from Wearside land wishing to learn about the One culture here's the site http://www.geordie.co.uk/

Stewart (born a Geordie and will always be one) (Pint)

·
Registered
6,180 Posts
Stewart J. said:
Everyone knows Hadrian built the Wall and threw over all the English rejects (mainley Makems!!) (*))

For those of a more cultered nature than our cousins from Wearside land wishing to learn about the One culture here's the site http://www.geordie.co.uk/

Stewart (born a Geordie and will always be one) (Pint)
Poor lad.The shame of going through life admitting to being a Geordie & probably's not from Newcastle. (Thumb)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Pat McCardle said:
Poor lad.The shame of going through life admitting to being a Geordie & probably's not from Newcastle. (Thumb)
A geordie curse be upon you, just goes to show the underhand lengths you makems will stoop to, born on the banks of the Tyne (North Shields) and proud of it.

No suprise he built the wall to banish you all!!

Stewart (*))

·
Registered
991 Posts
My wife is a Geordie from Wallsend so I thought Id ask her to sing this song.

Gees it was worse than a pack of drunken Shaw Savill engineers on their way back to the ship from a night ashore.

Ill stick to the Beatles next time.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Reet lads. Whisht noo, haad ye's gobs, 'nd Aall tyell yus' aall 'n aaful story...

...'Keep yor feet still Geordy Hinny' was written, and at times performed, by Joe Wilson (1841-1875). He was a music hall performer/pub landlord turned temperance reformer. He died of T.B. in his early thirties.

His epitaph was, 'It's been me aim to hev a place i' the hearts o' the Tyneside people wi' writin' bits of hyemly songs aw think they'll sing.'

So sing me back home, from one ex-pat. Geordie.

Clem

·
Registered
552 Posts
bobby388 said:
Or what about geordie lad?
By any chance, do you mean 'Geordie boys' ?

Now this song, I'm sure you'll all agree, has certain connections with shipbuilding with it's representation of the struggles endured by unemployed men from the mines and shipyards of the Northeast in the 1930's.

THE JARROW SONG by Alan Price

My name is Geordie McIntyre, An' the Bairns don't even have a fire
So the wife says "Geordie, go to London Town!"
And if they don't give us half a chance, Don't even give us a second glance
Then Geordie, with my blessings, burn them down

Come on follow the Geordie boys, They'll fill your heart with joy
They're marching for their freedom now
Come on follow the Jarrow lads, They'll make your heart feel glad
They're singing now, yes now is the hour

My name is little Billy White, And I know what's wrong and I know what's right
An' the wife says "Geordie, go to London Town!"
An' if they don't give us a couple of bob, Won't even give you a decent job
Then Geordie, with my blessings, burn them down

Come on follow the Geordie boys, They'll fill your heart with joy
They're marching for their freedom now
Come on follow the Jarrow lads, The joy'll make your heart feel glad
They're singing now, yes now is the hour

Well I can hear them an' I can feel them
An' it's as just as if they were here today
I can see them, I can feel them
An' I'm thinking nothing's changed much today

Not all came here to stay their way and die
But they would come and hit you in the eye
Now's the time to realize that time goes on
Nothin' changes, changes, changes

Now I can feel them, I can see them
An' it's as just as if they were here today
I can feel them and I need them
An' I'm thinking nothing's changed much today

Not all that people stay their way and die
But they would come and hit you in the eye
Now's the time to realize that time goes on
And nothin' changes, changes, changes

My name is little Alan Price, I tried to be nice all of my life
But I'm afraid that up to date it doesn't work
Because when you lay some money down, The people try to put you down
Now where do I stand, either side or not

Come on follow this Geordie boy, He'll try and fill your heart with joy
We're marching for our freedom now
Come on follow this Jarrow lad, He'll try and make your heart feel glad
We're sayin' it now, yes now is the hour

·
Banned
8 Posts
Hey you lot lets get this straight once and for all, I was born and bred in South Shields at the mouth of the Tyne. Now history has it that king George was fighting the Scots and was having a bad time of it, so bad the Scots beat him back across the Tyne, Once South of the Tyne, King George raised an army and defeated the Scots the men who joined King George were called Geordies men therefore the true Geordies come from the South banks of the Tyne and Newcastle people are just trying to get in on the act they are actualy Northumbrians. That makes me a Geordie, now as far as football is concerned South Shields is about 6 miles from Sunderland and 9 miles from Newcastle the town is split down the middle half Red and White, half Black and White, where I was brought up in Shields was a mainly Red and White area, so a lot of us Geordie's are Sunderland fans and love to see the "So called Geordie's" get beat.

·
Banned
8 Posts
You are right Stewart, rumour has it, it was a derogatory remark dating from the 1800s made up by the up river clan who wanted to steal the Geordie name it referred to the large population of Arab seaman who settled in this area, they equated Arab with sand.
Oh by the way we dont see it as a derogatory remark anymore, my nick-name for my soon to be 7 grand daughter who lives in Kent is Sandy due to her long blonde hair.

·
Registered
6,180 Posts
Jeff Egan said:
Hey you lot lets get this straight once and for all, I was born and bred in South Shields at the mouth of the Tyne. Now history has it that king George was fighting the Scots and was having a bad time of it, so bad the Scots beat him back across the Tyne, Once South of the Tyne, King George raised an army and defeated the Scots the men who joined King George were called Geordies men therefore the true Geordies come from the South banks of the Tyne and Newcastle people are just trying to get in on the act they are actualy Northumbrians. That makes me a Geordie, now as far as football is concerned South Shields is about 6 miles from Sunderland and 9 miles from Newcastle the town is split down the middle half Red and White, half Black and White, where I was brought up in Shields was a mainly Red and White area, so a lot of us Geordie's are Sunderland fans and love to see the "So called Geordie's" get beat.
Credit where credit is due Jeff. Well done (Thumb) But are Makems 'Jamies' (James) who fought against George? This should lead on to further historical discussion?

·
Banned
8 Posts
Bl**dy H**l the mind boggles!!!!! how did king James's men get south of us Geordies men, they must have just sneaked past in the night, well I knew they got down as for as York but where does that leave my theory, did I ever tell you I was one half Irish?

4,847 Posts
Clem said:
Reet lads. Whisht noo, haad ye's gobs, 'nd Aall tyell yus' aall 'n aaful story...
"Whist lads, haad ye gobs, I'll tell ye aboot the woorm."

Oh no, that is going to be going around my head all night now!!!!!

" Now brave Sir John........." Oh bugger am going to have to look up the words!

·
Registered
552 Posts
:D Reet then Chiefy's Bairn,

Tradition in Newcastle and, I think the East coast in general, (correct me on this?) has it that first-footing at New Year shouldn’t be carried out by fair haired people as it will bring the opposite of good luck.

This is believed to be due to the arrival of the Danes and other Scandinavian marauders at the start of the 9th century, (an axe wielding fair haired Viking, knocking on your door, at any time would have been decidedly unwelcome!).

Vikings travelled to this country on ships with carved dragon prows. In those days dragons were called worms.

Here is a legendary tale from the North East about a ‘worm’ which ate up livestock, little children, and even whole villages. A link, perhaps, to the ‘bad old days,’ (this tale is set, at the time of the Crusades, in Norman Britain) of rape pillage and murder?

This song was written in the 19th century, based upon old folk tales.

To listen to the song while reading the lyrics…

click...http://ngfl.northumberland.gov.uk/english/Lambton/Lambton Worm.mp3

The Lambton Worm

by CM Leumane 1867

One Sunday morn young Lambton
Went a-fishin' in the Wear;
An' catched a fish upon his huek,
He thowt it varry queer,
And whatt'n a kind a fish it was
Young Lambton couldn't tell.
He waddn't fash to carry it hyem,
So he hoyed it doon a well.

Whisht! lads, haad yor gobs,