Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
E mail in the scam section telling me that my AOL DESKTOP will cancel in 7 days, is this a scam ,if not how do I get over this, last time I lost my e mails and had to reset my laptop.

·
Registered
7,494 Posts
I was not sure that anyone still used AOL.
A quick search tells me that their original free service disappeared years ago and it is all now chargeable. Not sure if that is entirely correct but if it is then they would be shutting down 'free' accounts so the message MAY be accurate.
I had an O2 email account years ago but O2 internet was taken over and it just shut leaving me to find a replacement.

Best plan for emails is to not rely on the ISP but use an email client app. I use Thunderbird, but there are others.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Ceylon220,

I get these all of the time supposedly from AOL with requests to update to OATH or my account will be closed. I have been receiving them for over a year and it is for sure a scam to try and get your log in details. Just ignore the message and delete it.

regards
Dave

·
Registered
959 Posts
I was not sure that anyone still used AOL.
A quick search tells me that their original free service disappeared years ago and it is all now chargeable. Not sure if that is entirely correct but if it is then they would be shutting down 'free' accounts so the message MAY be accurate.
I had an O2 email account years ago but O2 internet was taken over and it just shut leaving me to find a replacement.

Best plan for emails is to not rely on the ISP but use an email client app. I use Thunderbird, but there are others.

AOL still active and it is free, I have used it for years

·
Registered
7,494 Posts
AOL still active and it is free, I have used it for years
Thanks for update.
I have to admit that the last time I came across AOL was about 5 years ago when asked to sort out a netbook for someone. It turned out that AOL was the problem and that the poor little computer could not support all the extra 'features' that AOL installed as part of the deal.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Deleted the message but changed my password just in case of a scam, this is the 2nd time this has appeared, anyway lads thanks for your help, always knew that I could rely on shipmates from SN.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts