Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me wife said yesterday to myself and family when she dies she does not want all the fuss and heartache that goes with funerals
Her wish is get creamated without anyone attending,and her ashes scattered near her old house,where she played as a child,,god bless her.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi Charles,
I gave my wife the same request a few years ago, except I would like my ashes scattered ar sea. I believe there is a service who provides this in Glasgow which would be ideal as I spent many happy days as a kid on holiday on the Clyde.
Cheers
Bob

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bob

Hi Charles,
I gave my wife the same request a few years ago, except I would like my ashes scattered ar sea. I believe there is a service who provides this in Glasgow which would be ideal as I spent many happy days as a kid on holiday on the Clyde.
Cheers
Bob
That is nice Bob.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
My wife came up with something similar, but wouldn't commit to a date.
Our marriage vows were amended. Instead of "till death do us part" we substituted "forever". There is no escape.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Hmm, how would the family feel about having no opportunity for a final 'Goodbye'.

Slight deviation - recently attended a funeral at which the husband and adult children decided to read eulogies. Mistake; none of them could finish.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Basil

Hmm, how would the family feel about having no opportunity for a final 'Goodbye'.

Slight deviation - recently attended a funeral at which the husband and adult children decided to read eulogies. Mistake; none of them could finish.
Yeah lot of folk cannot finish them.

·
Super Moderator
3,532 Posts
Cremation seems to me to always be the best alternative to burial. Our village church is just down the road from my house, and the churchyard is filled with graves that no-one has been near for years -- family moved away etc. I guess. Better to take happy memories of good times with a loved one wherever one might travel and settle.

My mother always insisted on that, and when she died we had her remains cremated. We then took the urn to the Isle of Wight crematorium where my father's ashes were scattered long ago, and the crematorium had a record of where that was, so Mother's ashes could be scattered there too. They also had a record book with an illuminated page for everyone that had been cremated there, and they found my father's page. The facing page was blank, because they would then enter my mother's name in that. "Then, when the book is closed, they will be together again." The crematorium director said.

Much better than a forlorn grave stone in a lonely cemetery.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Me wife said yesterday to myself and family when she dies she does not want all the fuss and heartache that goes with funerals
Her wish is get creamated without anyone attending,and her ashes scattered near her old house,where she played as a child,,god bless her.
My wee sister died at 35 and had the same request. Private cremation and then we had a family celebration of her life and scattered her ashes above Plockton, her favourite place.

A few years later my mother requested the same and her ashes were scattered on Bute.

So we still made our farewells but just not in the formal setting of a crematorium or church.

I've requested that my body goes to medical research and have carried an organ donor card for decades now.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have scattered the ashes at sea for two of my friends - both men
The problem afterwards is there is no place for the remaining wives to go and lay a flower or stand by the grave and « talk» to their departed love one.
Sadly I will be scattering the ashes of the wife of one of the men in the same sea area-16 years after he died.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ashes

Cremation seems to me to always be the best alternative to burial. Our village church is just down the road from my house, and the churchyard is filled with graves that no-one has been near for years -- family moved away etc. I guess. Better to take happy memories of good times with a loved one wherever one might travel and settle.

My mother always insisted on that, and when she died we had her remains cremated. We then took the urn to the Isle of Wight crematorium where my father's ashes were scattered long ago, and the crematorium had a record of where that was, so Mother's ashes could be scattered there too. They also had a record book with an illuminated page for everyone that had been cremated there, and they found my father's page. The facing page was blank, because they would then enter my mother's name in that. "Then, when the book is closed, they will be together again." The crematorium director said.

Much better than a forlorn grave stone in a lonely cemetery.[/QUOTEI see your point about ashes,yes they can be with you all the time.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
frangio

My wee sister died at 35 and had the same request. Private cremation and then we had a family celebration of her life and scattered her ashes above Plockton, her favourite place.

A few years later my mother requested the same and her ashes were scattered on Bute.

So we still made our farewells but just not in the formal setting of a crematorium or church.

I've requested that my body goes to medical research and have carried an organ donor card for decades now.
Nice one Frangio.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
respect

I have scattered the ashes at sea for two of my friends - both men
The problem afterwards is there is no place for the remaining wives to go and lay a flower or stand by the grave and « talk» to their departed love one.
Sadly I will be scattering the ashes of the wife of one of the men in the same sea area-16 years after he died.
Total respect to you.

·
Registered
885 Posts
It's eight years since my nephew arrived from Australia with my sister's ashes. She was widow of an Elder Dempster engineer and the man who encouraged me to go to sea.
Two days after the scattering I noted:
Four tides have come and gone since we sank my sister’s ashes into the sea off Hartlepool. Her son had brought them from Australia. At low water, we chose a rock pool where Dorothy would have played as a child. We read poems then covered the water with flowers. Now the flowers will be drifting southwards along the coast on the Longshore Drift.

Eight years have gone, and that good lady will be well to the south of Spurn Point.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
nice one

It's eight years since my nephew arrived from Australia with my sister's ashes. She was widow of an Elder Dempster engineer and the man who encouraged me to go to sea.
Two days after the scattering I noted:
Four tides have come and gone since we sank my sister’s ashes into the sea off Hartlepool. Her son had brought them from Australia. At low water, we chose a rock pool where Dorothy would have played as a child. We read poems then covered the water with flowers. Now the flowers will be drifting southwards along the coast on the Longshore Drift.

Eight years have gone, and that good lady will be well to the south of Spurn Point.
Hi Harry,nice one.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Yeah - I'm being cremated. And I like the idea of my ashes being spread at a place where I enjoyed myself when younger. Anywhere near the bar at the Far East Inn in Olongapo/Subic Bay will do.
Spent lots of R&R there during the Oz navy's participation in the VietNam war.
Aurora Suarez - where are you now ?

1 - 20 of 74 Posts