Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really really chuffed.
I found a book in an online charity shop.
It's called Hidden Victory, the story of the Battle of Habbaniya in 1941.
A week ago I never knew this book existed. It's the only one I know of about the battle of Habbaniya.
I read up what I could find on line over the years, which is mostly dry & dusty official reports plus the daily camp news letter.

My dad told me some of stories of the battle, which turned him into a hero in my eyes :) Though he was a Sgt in armoured cars and of course not fully in the loop about what happened.

The battle itself only lasted a month, but was absolutely critical in the middle east war, as Iraq was the source of most of the UKs oil in those days.
Not much said about the battle afterwards, I suspect because Iraq was a British Protectorate and the troops were facing Rebel Iraqi forces, and not at that date, the Axis.

Looks like it will be a real Boys own story written by an RAF pilot who was there after his service in Northern France & The Battle of Britain, and later promoted to Air Vice-Marshal.

·
Registered
182 Posts
There is a mention of this battle in 'Lost Voices of the Royal Air force' by Max Arthur.

The book is a collection of first hand stories from members of the RAF about serving in the force, from the days of the RFC to the Gulf War.

The relevant part for the RAF's part in the Battle of Habbaniya is told by squadron leader Tony Dudgeon. He tells of the background to the battle, how the RAF converted training and other aircraft to be light bombers, and how the RAF then used them to break up the attacks on the airfield, and the later pursuit of the 'rebels' of the German-backed Iraqi army.

Martyn

·
Premium Member
9,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is a mention of this battle in 'Lost Voices of the Royal Air force' by Max Arthur.

The book is a collection of first hand stories from members of the RAF about serving in the force, from the days of the RFC to the Gulf War.

The relevant part for the RAF's part in the Battle of Habbaniya is told by squadron leader Tony Dudgeon. He tells of the background to the battle, how the RAF converted training and other aircraft to be light bombers, and how the RAF then used them to break up the attacks on the airfield, and the later pursuit of the 'rebels' of the German-backed Iraqi army.

Martyn
My book is by A G Dudgeon, the same bloke I assume.(Thumb)

·
Premium Member
9,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Martyn
Just ordered this book :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts