Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.historicalrfa.org/

This site is very well done. It does the RFA proud. They are looking for scans of discharge book pages to further the research.

My early involvement was with the white painted LSLs MV Sir Bedivere and MV Sir Lancelot in Singapore before they became RFAs. All the best
Andrew

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
intrigued, by the site, appears innocent? During the high days when the red duster was the flag of the oceans, and covered all trades, and types of merchant ship: I just wonder i thought all who sailed under the 'red duster'' were in a reserve occupation, and could not back out when the 'ballon' went up. Then there were those who wished the rights of the MN and the protection of the RN joined the Blue Ensign, serving directly along side the white ensign.
Now for a thought process, this site is allegedly innocent, and looking for historical records, of past serving seamen { not service personnel}: It makes me think of ''Auntie'' locked in a cupboard, and those grey suits? What if now we require a merchant fleet overnight to supply the greater UK, where does it come from, and what type of ships are required for the various goods in bulk {or do we rely on aircraft=like the 'berlin airlift''?}, and while the government can not openly invest in commercial shipping the Merchant navy, it may require a fleet of ships loyal to the 'crown' and commerically capable of trade, hence the RFA and the blue ensign?
Have I gone too far? or is there something happening in the background with world shipping, and to the same extent ship building?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hullo David :)

Makes one wonder if you might need to ask "Humpy" (Sir Humphrey Applebee of "Yes, Minister" fame on "the box" to verify your hypothesis!!

The comment on the Berlin Airlift of the late 40's reminded me of a long-forgotten movie "The Big Lift" which I had forgotten for decades... worth reading the page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Lift

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Lift

Richard in Oztralia

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
plus size laingure

I like the add at the foot of todays blogs? ~ a large bird-''Big ****'' and pull away draws? It is if we are dreaming a big story, for night time reading. This SN site never fails to bring a smile to my face.
I suppose younger man in auzz you are a renegade, and true puritan, with not a bad thought in that head of yours.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Richard if the UK suddenly needed a fleet to carry goods for it, the only solution would be to telephone the Indonesian or Philipine embassy and get them to supply the crews and then go to the far east for the ships. The UK unions successfully buggered up the UK shipping industry many moons ago as did the yanks, canadians. ozzies and kiwis..

·
King Ratt
1,955 Posts
Richard if the UK suddenly needed a fleet to carry goods for it, the only solution would be to telephone the Indonesian or Philipine embassy and get them to supply the crews and then go to the far east for the ships. The UK unions successfully buggered up the UK shipping industry many moons ago as did the yanks, canadians. ozzies and kiwis..
A certain John Prescott now I believe a Lord, was causing mayhem during his time with the seamen’s Union. He was one of the leaders when the seamen’s strike which did irreparable damage to our MN.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts