Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At long last my book about the history of GKA has been published and will be available for purchase in the next few weeks. Running to 320 pages, it contains details of the station's development from its beginnings at Devizes in 1920 to closure in 2000. The war years are covered in detail along with the expansion of the station in the 1940s and 1980s. Many recollections of staff and sea-going R/Os are included, along with a chapter describing life at the station. Many of the 'characters' are fondly remembered. Annexes with brief details of the associated transmitting and receiving stations are appended, as well as a history of the morse keys used at the station.

The book will retail at £9.99 and will be available from Amazon and other online retailers, and signed/dedicated copies will also be available via the GKA website as soon as they arrive. Postage and packing will need to be added for website orders but this price will be kept to a minimum.

As soon as I am able to take payment I will let everyone know.

Larry +

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,043 Posts
Excellent news Larry. I will certainly be purchasing a copy. I would imagine a lot of ROA members would be interested as well. If you send me details when you have them I will arrange to have information published in the next QSO in September.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Tony,

Yes of course, I will let the ROA know as soon as the book is available to purchase. I would anticipate this to be around 3 weeks or so, depending on the publishing schedule.

Larry +

·
Registered
142 Posts
Well done Larry. I will publish your short article on the station in my CW club magazine in Autumn this year. I'm looking forward to reading the book.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Been advised this morning that the book is currently #1 in the Amazon Best-Selling Charts in the Telecommunications Genre - just on pre-orders. Waterstones are now stocking the book as well, again taking pre-orders. I am waiting for my own personal stock to arrive and then I will start taking orders for signed copies.

Larry +

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will there be a digitised version audio/visual?
No plans at the moment - possibly an e-book or Kindle version in the future dependent on sales. Could do an audio book myself if you could handle my broad Bristolian accent.....

Larry +

·
Registered
18,738 Posts
No plans at the moment - possibly an e-book or Kindle version in the future dependent on sales. Could do an audio book myself if you could handle my broad Bristolian accent.....

Larry +
Ha ha. I got out of town quick when I realised I could say "What bist ee doin' yerr?" without closing my mouth and without realising I was saying it! Obviously, I'd been there too long! Funny thing though, I've been in Australia for donkeys years and still can't say "G'Day" properly.

John T

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
...Could do an audio book myself if you could handle my broad Bristolian accent.....+
Now that certainly would be worth paying for!
Audio not the problem and will defo buy the book but was thinking more down the lines of something in pdf format for pc magnification.
Well done on the super effort..

·
Registered
532 Posts
Just ordered a copy, had to wait a bit, got QRY 23 (just joking.)
Thanks Larry, should be a good bit of nostalgia.

·
Registered
11,526 Posts
Ha ha. You can take the boy out of Bristol but you can't take Bristol out of the boy, John. You should see what they've done to the Hatchet!

John T
Have you been back there sniffing the barmaids apron? Last time I was in there was Jan 1954. What have they done to it, made it into a GIRLY BAR, with low tables and high chairs.(Jester)(Jester)(Jester)

·
Registered
18,738 Posts
Have you been back there sniffing the barmaids apron? Last time I was in there was Jan 1954. What have they done to it, made it into a GIRLY BAR, with low tables and high chairs.(Jester)(Jester)(Jester)
Was there about 4 years ago, John. The only thing that remains the same is the front door. You'd take your mother there now, I did. Oh no, hang on that was my wife.

John T

1 - 20 of 69 Posts