Ships Nostalgia banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Stock copies of the GKA book have arrived. They will be signed and despatched over the next few days. Thank you all for your patience!

Larry +

·
Registered
536 Posts
Today I was advised by Waterstones that my book has been posted.
Now to find my reading glasses...............
Hoping it is a really good bodice ripper Larry !

·
Registered
536 Posts
Reading mine now.
Thanks Larry - it is answering a lot of questions I had over the years but never bothered to ask !
At last I know where GRL came from.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I received my copy today from Amazon in Sydney. It says that it is printed in Australia. Makes me wonder if they are remote printing on demand.

Looks interesting.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I received my copy today from Amazon in Sydney. It says that it is printed in Australia. Makes me wonder if they are remote printing on demand.

Looks interesting.
Yep, it's international print on demand. Quite common these days and saves the logistical costs of posting books worldwide. As far as I know the publishers have printing contractors in the USA, Canada, Australia and Germany (and no doubt in other countries as and when required).

Enjoy the book!

Larry +

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Reading mine now.
Thanks Larry - it is answering a lot of questions I had over the years but never bothered to ask !
At last I know where GRL came from.
I must admit I didn't know either until I started my research. Interesting that when the callsign came to Burnham it had already been used at 2 other locations.....

Larry +

·
Premium Member
2,043 Posts
I am at that stage in the book as well. I suspect that few of us knew where GRL came from, it has flitted through my mind a couple of times over the years and then equally quickly flitted out again! All sorts of interesting stuff so far and I am only just getting stuck into it.

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
QRY 80 ? ...........I had a brief spell of Detached Duty at Wick/GKR in the mid 70's. It included spells on their HF service for Deepsea Fishing vessels. I only worked a few ships, mostly ore carriers but none were fishing vessels. It annoyed the OC at GKR because I was sat there on overtime doing mostly nothing !!

David

+

·
Registered
18,749 Posts
QRY 80 ? ...........I had a brief spell of Detached Duty at Wick/GKR in the mid 70's. It included spells on their HF service for Deepsea Fishing vessels. I only worked a few ships, mostly ore carriers but none were fishing vessels. It annoyed the OC at GKR because I was sat there on overtime doing mostly nothing !!

David

+
Hadn't most of the trawlers gone by the mid-70s? In their hayday, Wick must have been pretty busy.

John T

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
John - I have tried to date the DD by the car I had then to drive up to GKR from GKZ. It was a long way. I remember stopping for petrol just after leaving Inverness and the sign said 'Wick 135 miles' I think it was probably early 70's.

I have found these in NSWS 1 of 1976

David

+

Attachments

·
Registered
536 Posts
Read the book now can't wait for the filum.......

Talking of Wick, I used them a few times from the PG or Indian coast 'cos you didn't get a QRY......

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
I must admit I didn't know either until I started my research. ....
Looks like any ex-RO who can say they worked (or heard) both MW Burnham-on-Sea Radio/GRL and successor Ilfracombe Radio/GIL during their sea-time are becoming a bit thin on the ground.
Later learned more on GRL when I trained at GKA in '63 and have given it the occasional mention here on SN.
Bought yr book for ex-GTZB friend and look forward to news when it'll be available in Kindle form.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Ordered my copy last week.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yep, it's international print on demand. Quite common these days and saves the logistical costs of posting books worldwide. As far as I know the publishers have printing contractors in the USA, Canada, Australia and Germany (and no doubt in other countries as and when required).

Enjoy the book!

Larry +
Just received my copy from "Books on the Hill" Clevedon which as you will know is near Portishead bought from there as my daughter and partner own it. Looking forward tro reading it. FYI my late uncle Frank Lockwood was at GLD for a good number of years and I know he did do some DD at GKA during his time, so you may have crossed paths.

Regards

Niggle

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Just received my copy from "Books on the Hill" Clevedon which as you will know is near Portishead bought from there as my daughter and partner own it. Looking forward tro reading it. FYI my late uncle Frank Lockwood was at GLD for a good number of years and I know he did do some DD at GKA during his time, so you may have crossed paths.

Regards

Niggle
Good news - glad you got a copy from a local bookshop too. Hope you enjoy it! Can't recall a Frank Lockwood but will ask my GKA colleagues if they remember him.

Cheers Larry +

·
Super Moderator
6,624 Posts
I did several tours of detached duty at GLD and I know the name. Cannot put a face to him though.

Neville - Hawkey01

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #60

Regards

Niggle
It seems Frank Lockwood was a popular colleague at GLD, much liked and well remembered He started work at GLD in 1965 and left in 1987, and did indeed take some DD at GKA.

Larry +

41 - 60 of 69 Posts