Ships Nostalgia banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
I did several tours of detached duty at GLD and I know the name. Cannot put a face to him though.

Neville - Hawkey01
Frank lived in St Just before he retired with wife Margaret (now living in Southport) and two sons Graham and Ian. He used to wear tinted specs and had a full beard also liked his baccy roll ups.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Just an update on the book - as of this week, worldwide sales are just under 1,000, with 16 5-star reviews on Amazon. Has also been an Amazon 'Best-Seller' in the Telecommunications genre for a few weeks. Reviews in the UK radio press have also been encouraging. The book is still available from myself via the GKA website for UK customers as well as via Amazon and other on-line retailers worldwide.

Thank you for your kind comments and observations, much appreciated.

Larry +

·
Registered
63 Posts
Larry, hi
I am enjoying you book a lot, thanks for putting pen to paper.
When I was at Plymouth Poly. Training our morse instructor was an ex GK operator named, Robbi Robinson who talked about the w/t "conveyor belt". Do you have any photos of this famed equipment in action ?
Best regards

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Larry, hi
I am enjoying you book a lot, thanks for putting pen to paper.
When I was at Plymouth Poly. Training our morse instructor was an ex GK operator named, Robbi Robinson who talked about the w/t "conveyor belt". Do you have any photos of this famed equipment in action ?
Best regards
Below is a picture from 1966 showing 'A' Wing (one of the W/T wings). You can see the conveyor belt going down the middle between the consoles. After taking down a QTC from a ship the GKA R/O would place (or skilfully flick) the completed form into the conveyor belt which would take the form to the Control Room. From there it would be hand-passed to another conveyor belt in the landline wing awaiting delivery by telex or telephone to the addressee.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
And this is the landline wing from the same era - the conveyor belt clearly seen in the centre of the photograph. You can see telegram forms on the belt as well.

Thank you for your kind comments on the book too!

Larry +

·
Registered
63 Posts
Lots of thanks for the info, it was kind of you to get back to me so soon.
Best regards
Charles
AKA Dimples82

·
Registered
63 Posts
Larry Hi,

I finished your book last night, the final chapter made excellent reading and left me with a big smile on my face.

Thank you also for relating the story on pages 168 - 179 regarding the happenings on St.John III/6ZKX; I was the R/O.

As a volunteer I now look after the Library at Essex Industrial Museum, at Sandford Mill, Chelmsford and am now in year X of cataloguing it, it is a never ending task.

I will make sure my copy of your book is put on the Library's shelves. It is an important do***ent, it describes the use of Marconi equipment by GK and the contribution it made the stations life.

Best regards,

Charles Marshall - aka Dimples82

61 - 69 of 69 Posts