Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a Cargo/Tanker AB but in 1972 I was working ashore for a spell at Butlins, Barry Island (on Scurity).. A large proportion of the crew of HMS Orpheus turned up in 3 cars for a 'Banyan' at the camp.. They behaved 'normaly' for submariners ashore (which actually means "beserk" for we merchant men).. They spent cash like water and had a great time however, as did our challis maids when all they booked in and stayed overnight.. I took several photos of the lads together in the bars on their mad weekend break.. and if anyone here served on Orpheus 1972 and had a great night ashore at Barry Island then I may find some printable photos too of him and his crewmates together at Butlins.. You only need to message me on here to get them sent on by email... (Thumb)

·
Registered
10,666 Posts
good day puffin's skipper/yesterday.10:10;re:H.M.SUBMARINE ORPHEUS.i was never on a sub,but your post sounds interesting.looking forward to your posting photo's.regards ben27

·
Registered
2 Posts
Submarine Orpheus

Hi Puffiness Skipper,
I was serving on the Orpheus and was on the visit to Barry Island and would be very interested in the photographs you have, plus I was driving one of the three cars on the visit you mention.

Best Regards
Nobby (Jim) Clark

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hi Puffiness Skipper,
I was serving on the Orpheus and was on the visit to Barry Island and would be very interested in the photographs you have, plus I was driving one of the three cars on the visit you mention.

Best Regards
Nobby (Jim) Clark
Here you go then Nobby.. I think you were the one that drove me up to the Local off licence to get a "wee carry oot" to bring back on camp for "afters" when the bars shut... (totally against Butlins rules but then again you did 'know' an ex Matlow who just happened to be in sole charge of gates & camp security that night..) I think I drank free & made a weeks wages on the empties when you all left... Great "banyan" that weekend.
Here's a photo.. You should be on it... (Hope its not grounds for divorce,) one or two Chalet maids on that Photo were walking a bit bow legged after Jack tar shipped out again... and one or two Pongo's on an Army display team wern't walking at all once they'd tangled with diesel submariners.. whoops.. (K) (I'm the one stood at the back wearing the security badge btw.) You took a lot of "shepherding' that weekend but it all went well... as you can see by 'one or two' empty "shandy" glasses on the table...

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bloody hell, that,s me on the left and the chalet maid next to me was from Manchester and I did visit her, plus she came down to Guz for a weekend, can't remember her name right now, also on the other side of the photo was Baz Jenkins, I have sent the copy to him, plus I must thank you very much for sending the photo, just gave the missus a look as it was two years before we got tied up......lol. It certainly was a long time ago and we did have some great times in Barry.....cheers Nobby

·
Registered
4 Posts
allen beard

oh my!! have just found this after so many years,
i was on the ORPHEUS at Barry on that visit,
what a brilliant time we all had, i was one of the 2 chefs on board
will NEVER forget, would really love a pic if you have one.
that is if you are still looking at this page.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
allen beard

oh my!! have just found this after so many years,
i was on the ORPHEUS at Barry on that visit,
what a brilliant time we all had, i was one of the 2 chefs on board
will NEVER forget, would really love a pic if you have one.
that is if you are still looking at this page.
Just seen this, if you send me an email address I'll hunt the photo out again but you should be able to download it from here? I remember you lads well, I got you two Chalets for the night at a 'Special' price .. The Matlow who gave me this Class 2 T-shirt from Orpheus that I'm wearing at Butlins on this photo (after that night) was a Chef on the Orpheus, it might well have been you. I treasured it, for years. If it was, then thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts