Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
2,505 Posts
Fairfield said:
One of many Oberon class subs built by Scotts' at Greenock for various navies,in this case the Royal Australian Navy in 1977.This was taken about June as she handed over in Greenock.
She had a sister,OTAMA which I think has become a museum in Australia.

There were six Oberons built for the RAN....Oxley, Otway, Ovens, Onslow (ordered 1963) and a further two.... Orion, Otama ordered in 1970.
When the class were progressively replaced some six years ago by the Australian built Collins Class the Onslow was presented to the Australian National Maritime Museum in Sydney and the Otama went to the West coast for the Maritime Museum in Fremantle. The ANMM in Sydney also houses the Daring Class Destroyer HMAS Vampire and there are persistent rumours that when the Oliver Hazard Perry Class of frigates finally pay off from the RAN that two of them will be presented to the museums on the East/West coasts respectively.
In addition the replica of the HMS Endurance, which has spent much of its time since building sailing around the world, is expected to make its permanent home with the ANMM in Sydney.

·
Banned
2,505 Posts
I can assure you will, one of the other vessels there is the "Krait", you may have heard of her...she was used for the two Commando raids carried out on Singapore Harbour in WW2. One very successful, one not so successful. Check your local library if you want to do a bit of pre reading..few books about the raids.."Operation Jaywick" is one that I can remember. She was originally built in Japan in the years after the 1st World War, used as a fishing vessel, coastal trader etc and ended up in the Islands north of Oz before WW2. She was appropriated and someone finally put it togethat and decided she was emminently suitable for a raid. She is still in good nick but I believe that they have now replaced the original engine following some major problems. If you are lucky you might even see her under weigh!!.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.