Ships Nostalgia banner
161 - 178 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Like others have recently found this sight, whilst it is over 40 years ago can remember parts of the day and following days back to Pompey quite well, what is harder to remember now after a 25 year career is names. Had joined Ashanti if my memory serves me correctly early 77 as a JS(EW). Remember that we had been paid that morning and the person that went up before me was one of the stokers who died due to the fire. Once at emergency stations we assistant with boundry cooling and getting the anchors ready for letting go. Spent alot of time in A turret keeping warm. Yes Dundas then Penelope both came to our assistance but we got back to Pompey on G6's I believe. Some names on this forum our ringing bells, so if my memories are slightly wrong please do correct me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Glad to see the site is still going though I am now mostly on FB sites and after remembering my password and not understanding admin instructions I have changed my profile from Canman.
Important message to ALL Ashanti crewmen from 1970.
It will shortly be the 50th Anniversary of the ships visit to TEMA Ghana and the Queen of Ashanti is trying to contact the ships company so if anyone who was there reads this please get in contact
Cheers

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,this may sound a bit odd but it is gen.An oppo of mine has been approached by a mamber of Staff of the ASHANTI Royal Family and they want to celebrate the ships arrival in TEMA in Aug 1970.
If any pictures,dits or Crew List is available to pass on i would be much obliged.

Cheers Andy (The Doc)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Reunion

OTE=topsy turner;1914690]Hi all. Been to the grave of Jim Wardle in Carlisle cemetary on the 39th anniversary of the fire to pay my respects. Certainly puts things in to perspective. The gravestone has an etching of the Ashanti on it, always brings a lump to my throat whenever I stop by to say HI. Often think of the 3 souls and their families, hope they are all OK. Does anyone know where Dave and Tim have been laid to rest? Think Dhbave Little was buried in Hartlepool and Tim Burton in Portsmouth. Would like to pay my respects to both, maybe around the 40th anniversary.

Can Man. Like the sound of a reunion if that is possible. I live in the Northern reaches of Blighty nowadays but might be able to head to Pompey next year sometime. Anyone else interested?
[/QUOTE]

Hi,
My name is Laura, I am the daughter of Janet Burton, Tim Burtons wife. My mother remarried my farther some time after Tim’s death.
Tim was laid to rest in Gosport military cemetery. I visited this place many times as a young child. I can get further details if you wish please let me know.
Kind regards
Laura

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have read the items regarding Ashanti fire...I had close connection to Tim Burton and ironically my first ship was Tartar after being encorouged to Join up by Tim..
My thoughts at this time are with Janet, I was a young guest at there wedding.
One thing has always bothered me..was the hatch shut on Tim or not, I have also heard that he gave his life saving juniors, is this true?
Any Tartar crew 82-84 reading this?
Hi
My name is Laura, I am the daughter of Janet Burton, wife of Tim. My mum re-married after Tim’s death to my father, my father passed away 7 years ago. My mum talks a lot about Tim and the fire. Tim was laid to rest at Gosport mitltary cemetery as have seen some post asking if anyone knows any further information.
My mum is now 63 and doing well. I will tell about your post.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hms Ashanti

While an Apprentice with G & J Weir of Cathcart I worked on Ashanti during her fitting out up until she was ready for sea trials. - The Tribal Class were an odd design in being single screw frigates designed for service in the Persian Gulf. One all impulse steam turbine of 12,500shp and one gas turbine of 7,500 were geared to a single shaft giving a speed of 27 knots.
The machinery layout consisted of separate boiler room, engine room, and gearing room. The class were really the first step into the Navy's ultimate conversion to gas turbine propulsiion for surface ships of frigate size and above. The ship could get underway quickly under gas turbine power while steam was being raised. The steam turbine could then be clutched in to give maximum power. In 1974 two men were killed when a freak wave hit her 80 miles east of Bermuda. In 1977 three men were killed and the ship extensively damaged by a boiler room fire in the Bristol Channel - knowing the layout of the boiler room there would not have been much hope of escape.

Jim S
I was onboard off Bermuda in 74 when the two men were killed (One was the youngest, the other the oldest, members of the crew).
It was my very first temporary draft after training at HMS Mercury and I was part of group. We had been flown out to join the ship in Bermuda.
The ships helicopter was launched in an attempt to save the young sailor washed overboard. The sea conditions prevented the rescue.
The ship returned to Bermuda.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
Just re-registered on the site as I’d forgotten my login details so I’m no longer spudtanky I’ve reverted to my pusser moniker of George Denning, anyone who wants to please feel free to get in touch with me @
[email protected]

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hi Laura, I served with Tim on the Rothesay prior to him joining the Asanti. I am still in contact with the two 'tons' Murton and Turton, who also served with him. If someone shouted down the mess and it was not too clear as to whether it was Burton, Murton, or Turton.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi
My name is Laura, I am the daughter of Janet Burton, wife of Tim. My mum re-married after Tim’s death to my father, my father passed away 7 years ago. My mum talks a lot about Tim and the fire. Tim was laid to rest at Gosport mitltary cemetery as have seen some post asking if anyone knows any further information.
My mum is now 63 and doing well. I will tell about your post.
Hello Laura

I'm Peter. I was the Killock of the mess at the time of the fire. I did speak to your Mum on the phone a couple of times immediately after the fire.
Such a sad time and it will leave it's impact on me all my life.
I knew both Tim and your Dad if Chris Turton is he. Sad to hear that you have lost him. I remember Chris planning to leave the RN to start a band with his mate.
So much time has passed but the events of that day are really fresh.
You keep well :)
I posted previously in this thread as 'Sanemancured' but that email address has long gone so I re-registered.
Peter

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello Laura

I'm Peter. I was the Killock of the mess at the time of the fire. I did speak to your Mum on the phone a couple of times immediately after the fire.
Such a sad time and it will leave it's impact on me all my life.
I knew both Tim and your Dad if Chris Turton is he. Sad to hear that you have lost him. I remember Chris planning to leave the RN to start a band with his mate.
So much time has passed but the events of that day are really fresh.
You keep well :)
I posted previously in this thread as 'Sanemancured' but that email address has long gone so I re-registered.
Peter
Laura

I may have got things mixed up re Chris being your Dad. If I have I apologise.

Peter

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
My name is Laura, I am the daughter of Janet Burton, Tim Burtons wife. My mother remarried my farther some time after Tim’s death.
Tim was laid to rest in Gosport military cemetery. I visited this place many times as a young child. I can get further details if you wish please let me know.
Kind regards
Laura
[/QUOTE]

Hi Laura
I was wondering if your Father had a brother in the Royal Navy. I joined the navy in early 77 and my first PO / CPO carried the surname Burton. I remember him alluding to family tragedy and the effect it has on one however as a 17 year old, for whatever reason, it never dawned on me there might be a connection. All these years later I find myself still wondering.

Kind regards

Phil Kearns (Ex MEM2 & LS(D))

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hms Ashanti

While an Apprentice with G & J Weir of Cathcart I worked on Ashanti during her fitting out up until she was ready for sea trials. - The Tribal Class were an odd design in being single screw frigates designed for service in the Persian Gulf. One all impulse steam turbine of 12,500shp and one gas turbine of 7,500 were geared to a single shaft giving a speed of 27 knots.
The machinery layout consisted of separate boiler room, engine room, and gearing room. The class were really the first step into the jNavy's ultimate conversion to gas turbine propulsiion for surface ships of frigate size and above. The ship could get underway quickly under gas turbine power while steam was being raised. The steam turbine could then be clutched in to give maximum power. In 1974 two men were killed when a freak wave hit her 80 miles east of Bermuda. In 1977 three men were killed and the ship extensively damaged by a boiler room fire in the Bristol Channel - knowing the layout of the boiler room there would not have been much hope of escape.

Jim S

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also worked in all the tribals in Portsmouth and Chatham from 1963 as I was a service engineer ( OOTSIDE squad ) based in southampton for 49 years , I may be wrong but I believe the fire started when a lad was replacing a thermometer on the TA Generator anas he unscrewed it the pocket unscrewed with it causing hot lub oil to spray onto hot steam pipes etc causing the fire , the TA was located next to the vertical ladder that led to the control room tragic after that the pockets were welded in place ,.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hms ashanti

hi , i have just joined the site and noticed the ashanti incident. May 77 if my memory serves me right. we lost three MEM,s on that trip, it was a visit to wales and we were apr 1 hour away. Jmem little 16 and a half yrs old, LMEM Woods 21 yrs old, i cannot remember the name of the third MEM. It took apr 7 hours to sort the mess out. I can remember Dundas coming to help us out, a belated thanks mateys . I have been trying to find seamen etc from ashanti during that period for apr 8 yrs but no success so far.
this is the best ex RN site i have found to date, well done .
blakey

·
Registered
3 Posts
In the 80s I was head chef in a joint services officers mess and I recall one of the naval officers telling me he was the engineer officer and had to order the steam drench to save the ship, he was a very nice guy but haunted by what he did knowing it would cause deaths of his ship mates.
The way i heard it,it was'nt the fire that killed them.It was the lp sat steam drench that did.2 of them at the ladders to one of the accesses and the 3rd was at the escape route ladder behind the boiler.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Maybe he was saying that for dramatic effect. The truth is, steam drenching was a long way down the line. I was there. The toxic smoke has to be experienced to be believed. Amongst other deadly chemicals is cyanide. Sadly Tim, Jim and Tiny died of smoke inhalation a long time before steam drenching was initiated. I was nearly trapped in the stbd Burma road while I struggled to open the bulkhead door and seconds of breathing that chemical soup would have added me to the casualty list. At the time the MEO gave permission to initiate steam drenching they weren’t certain that the lads had perished but the post-mortem and rational thought after the event in light of the poisonous fumes meant that the cause of death wasn’t the steam drenching.
Peter

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for that, a real tragedy and in home waters. Can you recall the name of the M.E.O.? was it Ankers
I have to say that I found dealing with Naval Officers in the mess was much easier than with the other two services, most were much more down to earth. I was very privileged to have a day out on HMS Tiger in 1977 courtesy of my late friend Tudor Davies one of her aircrew he did get me very drunk on C.S.B.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I remember Lt or Lt Cdr Townsend but he may have been the previous MEO. I’d remember the name if I saw it I’m sure. Having been a killock stoker back then I did somehow end up as a General List graduate engineer Lt Cdr. I’d never have imagined that back then….

161 - 178 of 178 Posts