Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got to know the captain of HMS Aveley when I was serving in HMS Bulwark 1973-75, my interest being that I lived in South Ockendon, Essex, and Aveley was a mile away. I think he was Lieutenant Richard Speller but, 35 years on, I may be wrong!

I have a couple of photos of her at Navy Days 1973 and of the cap tally. Let me know if you would like copies sent by Email.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Richard Speller

I got to know the captain of HMS Aveley when I was serving in HMS Bulwark 1973-75, my interest being that I lived in South Ockendon, Essex, and Aveley was a mile away. I think he was Lieutenant Richard Speller but, 35 years on, I may be wrong!

I have a couple of photos of her at Navy Days 1973 and of the cap tally. Let me know if you would like copies sent by Email.
I was the Buffer on Aveley with Dick Speller.He retired after his last job which I think was XO at HMS Nelson.The First lt on aveley was Simon Gooder I think he is still serving.Last known Deputy QHM at Plymouth........

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was the Buffer on Aveley with Dick Speller.He retired after his last job which I think was XO at HMS Nelson.The First lt on aveley was Simon Gooder I think he is still serving.Last known Deputy QHM at Plymouth........
If you pick this up I would Like any Photo,s you have of her I remember Navy Days on her but I think I was ashore..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks killisport,
Got that one I,m one of the guys forward of the bridge.If you look closely on top of the bridge you can see a golden cockrell.We took that off the roof of a courage dray wagon whilst I was entertaining the draymen below.I also had made into a ships crest...regards Phil

·
Registered
2 Posts
message from Tom Grant

Thanks killisport,
Got that one I,m one of the guys forward of the bridge.If you look closely on top of the bridge you can see a golden cockrell.We took that off the roof of a courage dray wagon whilst I was entertaining the draymen below.I also had made into a ships crest...regards Phil
Greetings Phil

as an avid collector of ships crests (badges), i have been sent the badge designed by yourself, for HMS AVELEY, nice badge but before i can put it into my collection i need some sort of history (or a picture of this badge on the ship), i see its origin is in the courage brewery logo , as the ship was alloted a type badge , your badge would have been unofficial , but if it was used and ok'd by the skipper thats semi-official, i guess you get my drift . anymore help about the badge would be a great help

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
With Harvey in HERMES. Yes from Topsham. As CO of AVELEY he tried unsuccessfully to pick up myself and my crew of the DRAKE whaler (HERMES stokers) which was swamped off Looe Island in the Plymouth - Fowey race. After hour and a half in water picked up by sailing cutter from Plymouth Sailing School, taken in tow by a Looe boat and landed in Looe.
Gil.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks killisport,

And I was with the bosuns call at the bottom of the mast...If I remember rightly we called at Pompey on our way up to Avelely where we got became freemen of the borough or some such.
The skippers name was Ben Ashton a really decent bloke.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hms Aveley

Just joined today! I was Captain of Aveley from August 74 to Jan 76. I relieved Harvey Metcalfe, who left earlier in 74 at the start of the refit. The 1st Lt was Simon Gooder. Other names I recall (apologies to those I miss!) include Robbie Robinson (Chief of the Boat) AB Beckley, MEM Middlemas and the buffer, LS Jones. Was the chef L Ck Downe? Happy memories include Mevagissey, Fowey and an epic trip to London, including Aveley (Tilbury). I'm now retired living in Worthing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
And even visited Exeter going up the river Exe on a Neap tide then via the Exeter canal. Seem to remember a very clean bottom and shining screws when we taken out of the water.......
Have a number of photos of various visits which will need doctoring to get on the site.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts