Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. My father served on HMS Glenearn during WW2. His name is John Hunt and he was a Royal Marine. He piloted the landing crafts from ship to shore. He is now 87 years of age and would like to contact any other Royal Marines who served on the ship, or any of their family members. He has photographs of himself and shipmates he can share and would also like to see photos and any information other people may have. Thank you.

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
Janet, Do you happen to know about the book which was written by the son of the Chief Engineer of the Glenearn. I am in touch with the author, Alex Aiken's widow, Janette, who lives in Glasgow. I'm fairly certain that she still has some copies of the book for sale at a very modest price.
If this is of interest to you send me a PM. and I will give you her 'phone number.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello. Many thanks for your message. Strangely enough, I only enrolled on the site about an hour and a half ago and this is my second message. Another gentleman emailed and asked if I would like his book of the same author. He is going to post it to me. In case it does not arrive, I will refer back to your email. Does Janette have an email address or is contact by phone only? Thanks. Janet.

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
Hello. Many thanks for your message. Strangely enough, I only enrolled on the site about an hour and a half ago and this is my second message. Another gentleman emailed and asked if I would like his book of the same author. He is going to post it to me. In case it does not arrive, I will refer back to your email. Does Janette have an email address or is contact by phone only? Thanks. Janet.
I do not know if Janette has an E.mail address: probably not as she has made no mention of such in any communication with the several people showing an interest in owning a copy of the book.
Click HERE for a splendid photograph of the Glenearn.

·
Registered
9,354 Posts
I saw Glenearn in operation off the Normandy beachheads.
It was an incredible sight to see her conversion to LSI -Landing Ship Infantry
with 24 landing craft in davits and masses of armaments installed on her decks.
She operated all through June and returned to the Solent two or three times
during that period..
Stan

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
After that, Stan, she came out east and I was in a minor operation in which she and HMS Glenroy participated in the re-occupation of the Andaman Islands.
And then they were reconverted and went on to commercial service until the mid sixties-remarkable ships those Glens!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello. My father served on HMS Glenearn during WW2. His name is John Hunt and he was a Royal Marine. He piloted the landing crafts from ship to shore. He is now 87 years of age and would like to contact any other Royal Marines who served on the ship, or any of their family members. He has photographs of himself and shipmates he can share and would also like to see photos and any information other people may have. Thank you.
Hi Janette, my father joe cooper was a royal marine on the landing craft also. He is still alive and he is 88. I would be interested in any other corrospondents, when i can get the grandkid to show me how to use this system. We are in Melbourne, Australia. Cheers Alan Cooper

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello Glenearn followers,

My late father was on HMS Glenearn from Jan 1946 - to May 1946, as a Petty Officer. His name was Alexander (Hal) Cooper. Anyone out there remember him? I don't know where the Glenearn would have been during the time he was on it. I do know he was stationed at Kure, Japan some time in 1946, but don't know if it was on the Glenearn or on another ship.

Cheers, Joan (Perth, Australia)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Albert Barnard 11th april 1945

Hi
My mum's uncle AlbertBarnard was a seaman on the glenearn and died in the explosion on 11thApril 1945 any information on whether anyone knows him would be greatly appreciated.
Gratefully
Clare Crossland

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi my father was on the Glenearn out in kure japan he was a stoker unfortunately he has passed on now but I have a lot of photos from when he was in hiroshima and also some of the crew his name was bob(smudge)smith. Like a lot of the people who went through that time he didn't talk much about it except about the mates he had whilst serving on glenearn

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Janet

My Father (Fred Turp) also served on HMS Glenearn as a Marine during the D day landings, and was also on working on an LCA. He is sitting next to me now, and would love to hear from your Father and see some photos. He would be pleased to have contact from any other person who served on the ship.

Regards
John Turp

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am sorry but as I said in my original post my father has passed away however i have some photos of some of the glenearn's stokers mess and as soon as i learn to upload them if that is possible on this forum I will maybe your dad could put some names to the faces. I am new to posting so please bear with me as I will try my best
regards Carlton H

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Calton H and all who have had relations on the HMS Glenearn. My father, James Dubois was injured in the explosion on board the Glenearn and was transferred to a hospital on New Guinea. I would be really interested to see any photo's you have of the crew.
I also have the book 'In Time of War' by Alex Aiken and found it very interesting and informative. I know that his wife Janette has some copy's left as I have just bought a second one from her for my sister.
If you can upload the Photo's Carlton I would really appreciate seeing them if not maybe there is another way ?

Yours sincerely Tim Dubois

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all, my late Grandad 'George' Walter Gibbons served on HMS Glenearn during WW2, anyone remember him/have any pictures/stories at all please?

I'm afraid I don't have any info or old photos myself, except for an official printed picture of the ship that I got and gave to him a year before he past (2010 aged 85). From what he told me as a youngster I do know he was on the ship for the D-Day landings, stayed with a great family whilst a shore in Australia and went onto Hiroshima.

Thank you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all

My Grandad, Ted or Edward Holden, now in his nineties, served on the HMS Glenearn, including D Day. He was an Assistant Engineer.

I have just started reading 'In Time of War' today.

Tim Dubois - my Grandad remembers your father, James Dubois. I have a photo of some of the Engineers and Electricians who served on HMS Glenearn during D Day, and he thinks that your father is on this photo. I will send you a copy by email and also maybe you could verify for us whether it is your father.

Kind regards
Kim

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dunstan Pearson

Hello, my "uncle"was Dunstan Pearson, he sadly died on 09 April 1945 along with another sailor when there was an explosion on board - my father, his cousin, never got over it his whole life. Does anyone have any memories of Dunstan Pearson?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts