Ships Nostalgia banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
Hello, my "uncle"was Dunstan Pearson, he sadly died on 09 April 1945 along with another sailor when there was an explosion on board - my father, his cousin, never got over it his whole life. Does anyone have any memories of Dunstan Pearson?
This has been scanned from Page 304 in the book by Alex Aiken, "In Time Of War" (I knew Alex, he and his wife visited me here in Cornwall many years ago: he died some years later: his father was an engineer in the Glenearn).

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dunstan Pearson

Thank you to you both for this information - sadly my father passed away in January, he would have been comforted to know that Dunstan and the other sailor died quickly as he was told differently. I am presuming Lesley, who is Claire's great uncle was engaged to be wed?

·
Registered
1 Posts
glenearn

Hi my dad was on the glenearn he was a petty officer his name was
john sampson taylor <jack> i am trying to find any photos of crew or ship he was onboard in ww2 dday landings and in au and far east any info will be very gratefull my dad passed away when i was young so i dont have much info just he is named in the book by alex aiken
so if you can help i thank you billy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, my name is Amanda and I am the Granddaughter to Frederick Phillips who was on board the HMS Glenearn. I am currently trying to collect as much information as I can on my Grandfather so I can donate his beautiful war keep-sakes to the local servicemen club for display. If anyone has any photos or memories of him I would love to hear about them as unfortunately he passed away some years ago now. I also have a cut out royal marines engineers flag. If anyone knew how my Granddad acquired it I would be thrilled (I imagine it to be a good story!) Or if anyone would like a picture of it you can email me at [email protected]
Many thanks Amanda

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
I've just succeeded in contacting Janette Aiken, who is the widow of Alex the author of the book In "Time of War" which is the history of that fine ship.
She tells me she has several brand new copies of it and anyone who may wish to secure a brand new copy of the book send me a P.M. and I will give you Janette's number.

Alex's father was an engineer in that ship who died in a fire which occurred on board:he wrote the book in memory of his dad.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My dad was also killed in the explosion on HIS Glenearn. He died of his injuries on the 10th. He was Acting Petty Officer Tommy Roy. I was 4 years and my brother was 2 weeks old. Dad did not know he had a son. I wonder if anyone has any information on the cemetary in Papua New Guinea?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Serving on HMS Glenearn

Hi all,
I have just come across the site and am happy to see the amount of interest there is in HMS Glenearn. My second cousin, (fathers full cousin) served on the Glenearn during WW2 and would really like to hear from anyone who may have served with him.. His name is W. J. Farson. When I see him next, I will get his other details, but certainly at this juncture, I would be happy to receive any information that I can pass on to him.. I know that he was looking for a photograph whilst coming into the Solent after D-day, so if anyone could share a photograph, I (and Billy) would really appreciate it..
Here's hoping..

Stephen.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Reunion/ Edwin Dodd

Hi I am writing on behalf of Edwin (Eddie) Dodd, who served on the HMS Glenearn. I am hoping to get in contact with his old shipmates mainly Jimmy Nuttall, Bob Collingwood and George Waddell. Please message me or reply if you know of any of their whereabouts if still with us. Eddie is 91 and lives in the Rochdale area of Manchester. I am writing on this website because I found a post on another website specifically looking for Eddie but I was unable to reply on this website as the post was from two years ago and can no longer be responded to. I have tried to find his shipmates on ancestry but with no luck and I am now stuck with what to do. Please help in any way you can. Thank you :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone, I am writing on behalf of my grandfather Edward (Ted) Scholefield who served on the HMS Glenearn. If anyone has any photos of the crew, please let me know! Information about any crew members who remember him would also be much appreciated. Thankyou!

·
Registered
17,504 Posts
Hi everyone, I am writing on behalf of my grandfather Edward (Ted) Scholefield who served on the HMS Glenearn. If anyone has any photos of the crew, please let me know! Information about any crew members who remember him would also be much appreciated. Thankyou!
Go to the Gallery and scroll down to "Members Faces". Type in HMS Glenearn. You will see some photos there. (Thumb)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ship Mates

(Pint)
Hi I am writing on behalf of Edwin (Eddie) Dodd, who served on the HMS Glenearn. I am hoping to get in contact with his old shipmates mainly Jimmy Nuttall, Bob Collingwood and George Waddell. Please message me or reply if you know of any of their whereabouts if still with us. Eddie is 91 and lives in the Rochdale area of Manchester. I am writing on this website because I found a post on another website specifically looking for Eddie but I was unable to reply on this website as the post was from two years ago and can no longer be responded to. I have tried to find his shipmates on ancestry but with no luck and I am now stuck with what to do. Please help in any way you can. Thank you :)
Hi BenMaguire. I see your Dad is trying to get in touch with some of his old ship mates, well one of them was my late Dad Bob Collingwood.I have some papers with names and addresses of crew members so maybe your Dad would remember them,but it doesn't mention J Nuttall or George Waddell My Dad past away 10 years ago

·
Registered
3 Posts
My father (RIP) was on this ship in 1946, with the Commonwealth Occupation Forces in Japan. He was Hal Cooper, Chief Petty Officer RN. I understand the ship was among the first to go to Japan. It was at the port of Kure, near Hiroshima. Dad was stationed there for 6 months. I wonder if he could be in your father's photos? I have one photo of dad with some servicemen friends taken there.

Joan

·
Registered
4 Posts
Janet, Do you happen to know about the book which was written by the son of the Chief Engineer of the Glenearn. I am in touch with the author, Alex Aiken's widow, Janette, who lives in Glasgow. I'm fairly certain that she still has some copies of the book for sale at a very modest price.
If this is of interest to you send me a PM. and I will give you her 'phone number.
HI. i know its a long shot after all this time> My dad served on The Glenearn and I would like a copy f the book> Are you still in contact with Alex Aikens widow,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Janet, Do you happen to know about the book which was written by the son of the Chief Engineer of the Glenearn. I am in touch with the author, Alex Aiken's widow, Janette, who lives in Glasgow. I'm fairly certain that she still has some copies of the book for sale at a very modest price.
If this is of interest to you send me a PM. and I will give you her 'phone number.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts