Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The BBC WW2 memories files have an item on Kipling, which was sunk in the Mediterranean in 1942. A comment to the original piece was about a relative who lost his life in this ship, one Alan Croft Baker. See:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/stories/86/a3342386.shtml

I am writing a short article about Sub Lieut Baker and the signatory of the comment "bridgettjones" may be known to someone out there. She is the only surviving close relative and I woud like to get some more info - and she invited contact at that time. Alas, the site is now closed.

Anyone able to help? I would be most grateful

Geoff

·
Registered
126 Posts
More info on the Kipling loss:

4 RN DD's: Jervis, Lively, Jackal and Kipling were dispatched from Alexandria on 11/4/42 to intercept an Axis convoy bound for Benghazi. Three of the four were sunk by repeated German dive bomb attacks. (Jervis survived and rescued 350 men from the three that sunk) The Kipling went down quickly. RAF fighters were unable to provide adequate defence.

Information from: "Warship Losses of World War 2" by David Brown, Revised Edition.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sadly, my Uncle was one of those who lost his life when Kipling went down. His name was Arthur Watkin, he was a stoker. His body was never found.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Owen Aboard Kipling 1940-41

I wonder if anybody on this forum could help me please. I work in a shop in Windsor and some time ago we found a small black and white photograph of a group of 8 young men and on the back is the inscription "Owen aboard Kipling 1940-41". We would like to reunite this photo with its owner but have had no luck in tracing him/her. We tried a local Facebook group (which always works for lost teddies!) and the story was picked up by the local paper too but we had no response at all. I even managed to contact a guy who organises reunions in the hope that someone would recognise a face from the picture but had no luck there either. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I wonder if anybody on this forum could help me please. I work in a shop in Windsor and some time ago we found a small black and white photograph of a group of 8 young men and on the back is the inscription "Owen aboard Kipling 1940-41". We would like to reunite this photo with its owner but have had no luck in tracing him/her. We tried a local Facebook group (which always works for lost teddies!) and the story was picked up by the local paper too but we had no response at all. I even managed to contact a guy who organises reunions in the hope that someone would recognise a face from the picture but had no luck there either. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Am attaching copies of the back and front of the photograph to see if that helps - haven't had much luck so far!

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
The BBC WW2 memories files have an item on Kipling, which was sunk in the Mediterranean in 1942. A comment to the original piece was about a relative who lost his life in this ship, one Alan Croft Baker. See:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/stories/86/a3342386.shtml

I am writing a short article about Sub Lieut Baker and the signatory of the comment "bridgettjones" may be known to someone out there. She is the only surviving close relative and I woud like to get some more info - and she invited contact at that time. Alas, the site is now closed.

Anyone able to help? I would be most grateful

Geoff
Long time after your original post but I do have some detail which you may wish to have including a relatively recent photo of his gravestone in Alexandria. Do let me know if you are still interested and I will make arrangements to forward to you.

RD

1 - 7 of 7 Posts