Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello and a very happy new year to you all.

This may be a bit of a long shot but does anyone on here have any photographs of HMS Pakenham or her crew?
I have her history but there just don't seem to be any photos anywhere. I have written to the Imperial War Museum and to the Royal Navy at Greenwich but they have nothing apart from some 'technical' photos.
I have used Google but where lot's of images come up saying HMS Pakenham, they are not in fact the right ship. Pakenham's ID number was G06.
My interest is because my father served on this ship during the war from when she first sailed until she was scuttled off Pantellaria, Sicily in 1943 after being shelled.
I would be thrilled if anyone can help.
Best wishes, Bernadette

·
Registered
350 Posts
This list of casualties is below an image of a P= Class destroyer. Unfortunately the vessel is in camouflage so there is no ID to prove it is HMS Pakenham. Can't understand why they would post an image if it wasn't the real one.:confused:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,532 Posts
A Google search for HMS Pakenham reveals lots of entries about that ship Bernadette.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you. yes there is plenty of info via Google but sadly no photographs.
There's a website called Pinterest that appears to show Pakenham but when you see the id number it's wrong because Pakenham was G06
I've asked the Imperial War Museum and even they don't have one!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Oh Wow this is her then!
The accompanying details are correct.
The camouflage looks like it is for the Arctic in the picture but she was mainly in the Mediterranean - would you have any opinion on that?
Thank you very much

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi again,
Yes, this tallies as I know 11 men died. My father survived. The ship had to be scuttled by her sister ship after they towed her for some time but it was slowing them down so much they were vulnerable to German aircraft.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am amazed, you did brilliantly to find this, can I ask where you found it? Was it on the internet or in a book?
Kind Regards
Bernadette

1 - 9 of 9 Posts