Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
These boats were completely unarmed. They were used at Portland to simulate fast patrol boat attacks on RN major warships. Always seemed to me to be a bit of a farce. The German Navy sent real Fast Attack Craft armed with Excocet and OTO Melara 76 mm Guns to train at Portland.

Fred

·
Registered
573 Posts
HMS Sabre and Cutlass at Portland in about 1976, I think Scimitar had gone to Hong Kong to help with the problems with the Boat People.

Rgds Neill

·
Registered
573 Posts
Thanks ******, as you can see they have ID letters, SA for Sabre and CT for Cutlass, any ideas what Scimitars letters were or did she have any???? By the way the RFA in the background was Olna.
Rgds Neill

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Not sure about the ID letters on Scimitar, I have found an overhead picture in an old 70's reference book, the caption is HMS Scimitar but the code is clearly SA (no pennant number visible), that doesn't make much sense does it? I reckon Scimitar's code was SC but I'm sure somebody can confirm that. The RFA looks like the Tidespring or Tidepool though with the funnel extentions? :)

·
Registered
573 Posts
I know I have a picture of the Olna, but the brain cells are a bit slow these days. However in my old log book there was a Wessex HU.5 helo on Portland airfield with the code TP/347 which was Tidepool Flight.
I am not sue about SC as Scimitars code/deck letters because SC was used by HMS Scylla at the time and ST was Stromness.
Rgds Neill

·
Registered
2 Posts
I served in HMS Sabre for a couple of months in late 1979. She wasn't completely unarmed - she had mounts for a GPMG on each bridge wing, and we had an AB gunner ex Royal Yacht who loved to use his toys!

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Hello Sabre Snotty,
I think the ex Royal Yachty was Ray Scott. He currently works, or maybe worked, (I left last year, and have heard since there is to be a clear out of QM's, the rank at which he was signed on), on the ferries at Dover.
Sailed with Ray for a number of years, and he spoke happily of his time on the Sabre.
Enri.

·
Registered
2 Posts
That makes sense - he'd have been about 12-15 years older than me, I'd guess. He was quite stocky, fair-ish complexion, fairish hair as a I recall. Somewhere I must have some pictures of my time in her.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Fred, they were a magic draft mate, great fun and anyway what did we need excocet for in peacetime.

These boats were completely unarmed. They were used at Portland to simulate fast patrol boat attacks on RN major warships. Always seemed to me to be a bit of a farce. The German Navy sent real Fast Attack Craft armed with Excocet and OTO Melara 76 mm Guns to train at Portland.

Fred

·
Registered
8 Posts
I remember an RN poster showing one of these boats at speed. A spectacular picture. I could have gots loads in my Sea Cadet days, but unable to find one now.

Kimdino

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Enri
I am the ex yachty who served on HMS Sabre, and are still working on the ferries down in Dover. Trying to work out who I would know you as.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts