HMS Tyne (A194) was built as a destroyer depot ship in Scotts Shipbuilding & Engineering Co. Ltd at Greenock. She was the fourth ship to bear this name. She was launched on 28th Feb 1940, completed and first commissioned on 17th Feb 1941, and served during World War II in British home waters and in the Far East. It became the Flagship of the Royal Navy Home Fleet from 1954 and Admiral Sir John AS Eccles, KCB, KCVO, CBE, Commander-in-Chief hoisted his flag in HMS Tyne on 6th January 1956, and he also had dual responsibility within NATO for Commander-in-Chief, Eastern Atlantic Area. The ship was then under the command of Flag Captain JWH Bennett, DSC. In 1960 the Commander-in-Chief was Admiral Sir Wilfred Woods. HMS Tyne served as a submarine depot ship between 1960 and 1961, in the North Atlantic, North Sea and Mediterranean Sea, and also provided a base for the Royal Marines training in Norway and Scotland.