Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Does anybody recall John " Lofty " Ward ?

He joined Hain SS Co. in 1961 , from HMS " Worecester " and I did 2 trips with himon MV " Trecarne ".

ATB

Laurie.

·
Registered
119 Posts
In answer to your question , approx 200 OWs plus partners gathered for a reunion in Greenwich in June 2018, so yes plenty around.Did you go yourself?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good to know many OW 's still around. I did not go to the June meeting. I live in Canada now. Looking back I believe Worcester shaped our lives.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Octoberon .......The Thames Nautical Training College, HMS Worcester which ran for 106 years finished and was closed in 1968. As such there were no further intakes or any such training, which was a two year course and hence there were no 'Worcester' cadets after that date.

The short lived concrete edifice built on what were our grounds was an entirely different concept run by the local Councils and temporarily used the ship, under the Red Ensign as a dormitory and for some lessons.

Sorry but 1968 was the end, TNTC "HMS Worcester" was no more, there were no more 'Worcester cadets' after that date.

Barnsey

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You are correct Barnsley. Worcester finished 1968. We must have been there about the same period. Which division? I was in Fore Division.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Octoberon .......The Thames Nautical Training College, HMS Worcester which ran for 106 years finished and was closed in 1968. As such there were no further intakes or any such training, which was a two year course and hence there were no 'Worcester' cadets after that date.

The short lived concrete edifice built on what were our grounds was an entirely different concept run by the local Councils and temporarily used the ship, under the Red Ensign as a dormitory and for some lessons.

Sorry but 1968 was the end, TNTC "HMS Worcester" was no more, there were no more 'Worcester cadets' after that date.

Barnsey
I can categorically state that I was on the Worcester in 72 and 73 as a Navigating Cadet for BP. Unless we are talking about another Worcester... the one I was on was moored at Greenhithe. It was moved and scrapped a few years later after the concrete college was completed ashore.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
I can categorically state that I was on the Worcester in 72 and 73 as a Navigating Cadet for BP. Unless we are talking about another Worcester... the one I was on was moored at Greenhithe. It was moved and scrapped a few years later after the concrete college was completed ashore.

Octoberon, thanks for your reply you misread what I wrote. To be a "Worcester cadet" and hence an "Old Worcester" you had to have been aboard the ship when she was HMS Worcester under the Blue ensign belonging to The Thames Nautical Training College which existed between 1862 and 1968. Those cadets were Cadets RNR. All that finished in 1968. From then on the ship was under the Red Ensign and a very different system.

I was aboard HMS Worcester from 1955 to 1959, joining when I was thirteen and a half then joined BP Tankers in 1959 and left in 1974.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
You are correct Barnsley. Worcester finished 1968. We must have been there about the same period. Which division? I was in Fore Division.
Hi Foremast .... I was in Mizzen Division for most of my years aboard but finished up in Fore Division for my sins. Joined Michaelmas 1955 left Summer 1959.
Regards

David

1 - 15 of 15 Posts