Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wonder if anyone has any information on her provenance and post-war disposition? I believe she was returned to her Owners in April 1946 having survived the war. Would be interested to know her role, postings and duties during the war years. Was she originally a Fleetwood steam trawler?

Thanks for any help rendered

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For Nick Olass

No idea Angus, but I'll be first to respond.
Evening, Nick :

Thanks for first response .... !

There was a 296 ton fishing trawler of that name lost in 1953 off Muckle Flugga (Northern Isles) with the loss of six lives, and eight saved, but I think this was a different and more modern vessel.

If there's any source where the info is likely to become available, it's this amazing site.

Angus

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Santos

Chris :

Thanks for that, I think, but could well be wrong, that this was a later vessel of the same name. Have scoured the Trawler website but surprisingly came up with nothing. Oh, well, just have to persevere !

Angus

·
Banned
21 Posts
Thanks Angus,

I deleted my post when I read yours re the 296 ton vessel we must have been typing our posts at the same time. I will keep looking too.

Chris.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For Gdynia

Thanks for your response. However, this was definitely a latter vessel that belonged to J. Marr & Son of Hull, launched in August 1951 and completed in April 1952, from the Beveley Yard of Cook, Welton & Gemmell. Apparently her gear got caught up with the ground where she was towing some 50 miles NW of Sule Skerry and she went down - 1st December 1953.

The boat I'm after was a R.N. commissioned trawler, probably steam, probably out of Hull, Fleetwood or thereabouts, and used for mine-sweeping off the East coast in WWII as far as I know.

Thanks for your interest and help,

Angus

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have now found the details I was after - will post later for general interest / record.

Meantime, my thanks to all respondents !

Angus Mac Kinnon

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just to close out the minor confusion re Admiralty Trawler HMT HILDINA, here is the story :

Built as an Admiralty-design steam trawler by the South Shields shipyard of J. P. Rennoldson as their Yard Number 310.

Owned in Hull by Kingston Steam Trawling Company, under the registration mark H 226, and the name ‘WILLIAM LEEK’. She was later renamed ‘CAVENDISH’.

Vessel Particulars :

Year of Build 1918
Official Number 144432
Gross Tonnage 276 tons
Length 125.5 feet
Breadth 23.5 feet
Depth 12.7 feet

On 30th June 1928, the vessel was sold to J. Marr & Son Limited at the sale price of £5,750 and renamed ‘HIDDENITE’ under the new registration mark FD 180. In 1929 she was renamed ‘HILDINA’

From 1939 to 1946 she served as a Minesweeper for the Royal Navy as HMT HILDINA, during which time her Pennant Mark was FY 541.

Following her war service, she was returned to her Owners – J. Marr & Sons Ltd of Hull in early 1947.

She was sold to Brixham Trawlers Limited in 1947 and renamed ‘AIGRET’. The sale price is recorded as £19,850.

In March 1956 the vessel, now 38 years old, was sent to Belgium for scrapping.

Note Below :

The fishing trawler ‘HILDINA’, registration mark H 222, Official Number 185119, that was tragically lost on 1st December 1953, with the loss of 6 lives, was a different vessel, launched on 21-08-1951 and completed on 29-04-1952, for the owners of the previous HILDINA (1), Messrs J. Marr & Son Limited of Hull. She was trawling approximately 50 nautical miles N.W. of Sule Skerry when her towing gear snagged the ground and capsized the vessel. This new trawler was a product of the Beverley shipyard of Cook, Welton and Gemmell.

ACKNOWLEDGEMENT : information from various sources but principally the Fleetwood Online Archive of Trawlers, Lancashire County Council.

And the interest in the above matter ?

My son is part of a small team of National Trust wardens who have just taken up their season posting on the Farne Islands off the Northumberland coast. During refurbishment of their accommodation they discovered an etching into the deckhead of their dormitory building which stated :

J. Buchan - Peterhead
HMT Hildina - 1940

Hence the interest in the provenance of this vessel !

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hi Eriskay,

mailto:[email protected]

I dont know if you are aware of this but the above link gets you to Jimmy Buchans blog on the Trawler Photo website . He is the skipper of the peterhead trawler Amity II
You never know he could be related and able to give you some more info.

Cheers

Graham

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
gkh151

Graham :

Many thanks for that link - I will pursue it.

I'm just thinking, my Father, Uncle and self bought a small boat in Peterhead in the 1960s and sailed her back to our Island in the Outer Hebrides. I cannot be 100% sure, but I think the lovely old character who owned her before was named Buchan. His wee boat was called the 'Lassie'. I can still see him standing there on the Pier at Peterhead with her nameplates in his hand and the tears rolling down his cheek. He had her built new for himself but it was all becoming too much for him as age took its toll. Never saw a boat so well maintained as that one had been.

Many thanks again,

Angus

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hi Angus

I have found this and you may find it of interest.

Also if you type Jimmy Buchan in Google it takes you to a lot more info about him. Apparently he is now a member of the conservative party

http://www.123people.co.uk/s/jimmy+buchan

I hope your search is fruitfull and it would be interesting to see what yyou come up with.

Cheers.
Graham

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
gkh151

Hi, Graham :

Unfortunately, have been unable to get connected to Jimmy Buchan, e-mail bounced.

Angus

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hi Angus,

If you look on the link I posted earlier there are a couple of e mail addresses there. Maybe they would be available.

Graham.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Oops

Sorry guys but I've been in drydock for a few days and have only just seen this thread

Full story on Hildina here.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
lilguy43uk

Excellent - many thanks for that, will it be okay to copy your page across to the lads on the Farne Isles ? Can't believe how helpful you guys have been!

Angus.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
lilguy43uk

Hi Angus,

If you look on the link I posted earlier there are a couple of e mail addresses there. Maybe they would be available.

Graham.

Tried two other apparent 'contact addresses' but both failed again, tried a third and last and it never gave a 'fail' indication so, hopefully it is winging its way to Peterhead and something may happen.

Thanks again and regards,

Angus.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
For lilguy43uk :

Something did ! He got the enquiry and he's on the case, hopefully he will uncover something, long shot but fingers crossed !

Thanks for your help.

Angus

·
Registered
7 Posts
My Dad served on HMT HILDINA as the telegraphist. I have a couple of Pics of him and the Ship. He spoke very highly of Skipper Page who presented him with a silver cigarette case engraved with a map of the UK and the patrol routes taken by Hildina during his time on board.
I am just about to start on a RC model of a mersey class trawler that I will call Hildina in memory of my Dad.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Just to close out the minor confusion re Admiralty Trawler HMT HILDINA, here is the story :

Built as an Admiralty-design steam trawler by the South Shields shipyard of J. P. Rennoldson as their Yard Number 310.

Owned in Hull by Kingston Steam Trawling Company, under the registration mark H 226, and the name ‘WILLIAM LEEK’. She was later renamed ‘CAVENDISH’.

Vessel Particulars :

Year of Build 1918
Official Number 144432
Gross Tonnage 276 tons
Length 125.5 feet
Breadth 23.5 feet
Depth 12.7 feet

On 30th June 1928, the vessel was sold to J. Marr & Son Limited at the sale price of £5,750 and renamed ‘HIDDENITE’ under the new registration mark FD 180. In 1929 she was renamed ‘HILDINA’

From 1939 to 1946 she served as a Minesweeper for the Royal Navy as HMT HILDINA, during which time her Pennant Mark was FY 541.

Following her war service, she was returned to her Owners – J. Marr & Sons Ltd of Hull in early 1947.

She was sold to Brixham Trawlers Limited in 1947 and renamed ‘AIGRET’. The sale price is recorded as £19,850.

In March 1956 the vessel, now 38 years old, was sent to Belgium for scrapping.

Note Below :

The fishing trawler ‘HILDINA’, registration mark H 222, Official Number 185119, that was tragically lost on 1st December 1953, with the loss of 6 lives, was a different vessel, launched on 21-08-1951 and completed on 29-04-1952, for the owners of the previous HILDINA (1), Messrs J. Marr & Son Limited of Hull. She was trawling approximately 50 nautical miles N.W. of Sule Skerry when her towing gear snagged the ground and capsized the vessel. This new trawler was a product of the Beverley shipyard of Cook, Welton and Gemmell.

ACKNOWLEDGEMENT : information from various sources but principally the Fleetwood Online Archive of Trawlers, Lancashire County Council.

And the interest in the above matter ?

My son is part of a small team of National Trust wardens who have just taken up their season posting on the Farne Islands off the Northumberland coast. During refurbishment of their accommodation they discovered an etching into the deckhead of their dormitory building which stated :

J. Buchan - Peterhead
HMT Hildina - 1940

Hence the interest in the provenance of this vessel !
my dad ken rudd served on hildina his first trip was on 1.5 1952.in hisservice book it says they went to iceland,he did nine trips on her the last one on 21 11 1952.he then went on stella capella on27 11 1952,all nine trips on hildena went to iceland ...hope this helps regards colin rudd

1 - 20 of 20 Posts