Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
18,770 Posts
I remember seeing a film of Eisenhower when they made the German civilians living near a concentration camp to a tour of it so they could see what had been going on. He said: "You make me ashamed that my name is Eisenhower".

John T

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
"Get it all on record now - get the films - get the witnesses -because somewhere down the road of history some bastard will get up and say that this never happened.”
Dwight D Eisenhower

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Didn't watch it but:
1. 'Celeb' needs publicity. What to do?
2. Trot out person no-one is going to believe anyway.
3. Sorted! 'Celeb' in public eye. Denier thinks he's influenced someone. Virtue-signallers happy. What's not to like?

·
Malim Sahib Moderator
8,603 Posts
Didn't watch it but:
1. 'Celeb' needs publicity. What to do?
2. Trot out person no-one is going to believe anyway.
3. Sorted! 'Celeb' in public eye. Denier thinks he's influenced someone. Virtue-signallers happy. What's not to like?

David Baddiel has made quite a few do***entaries on Judaism and the holocaust in the past, I know that because I've watched a few of them.
Both sets of his parents have German Jewish heritage and both sets escaped from Nazi Germany on the eve of war in 1939. His extended family was not so lucky and all of them perished.
Baddiel, despite having Jewish heritage is a confirmed atheist.
The rise of the far right in Europe and the UK this past few years has seen an increasing amount of holocaust denial, this of course coinciding with the last few survivors of that event gradually passing away, hence the do***entary.
You know nothing about the man, you admit you didn't watch the film and yet all you can do is attack it on the premise of "virtue signalling".
So let's have it Bas - do you think the holocaust was faked or not?

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
David Baddiel has made quite a few do***entaries on Judaism and the holocaust in the past, I know that because I've watched a few of them.
Both sets of his parents have German Jewish heritage and both sets escaped from Nazi Germany on the eve of war in 1939. His extended family was not so lucky and all of them perished.
Baddiel, despite having Jewish heritage is a confirmed atheist.
The rise of the far right in Europe and the UK this past few years has seen an increasing amount of holocaust denial, this of course coinciding with the last few survivors of that event gradually passing away, hence the do***entary.
You know nothing about the man, you admit you didn't watch the film and yet all you can do is attack it on the premise of "virtue signalling".
So let's have it Bas - do you think the holocaust was faked or not?
Yup! Once again, making it up to suit your own agenda.
You missed:
person no-one is going to believe anyway.
Denier thinks he's influenced someone.
So let's have it Bas
What a joke! Who do you think you are?
Of course, clearly a virtue-signalling grief groupie.

Have you ever heard of, or read, a book called: "The scourge of the swastika"?
No? Then I'll tell you about it.
It was written by a senior Army officer, IIRC in the legal department, who was involved in the post WW2 investigations and trials and published about 1954.
I read it in my early teens. It is a truly shocking account of extermination camps by someone with no axe to grind.

p.s. Never let anyone point the finger at the Brits and say that we invented the type of concentration camps used by the NAZIs.
Ours were to keep Boers from feeding and supporting commandos, not for extermination.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Who mentioned the Boer war?
We were discussing The Holocaust, where JC attempted to score points by suggesting that I was a denier, and I was reminded that some are given to assert: "You Brits invented the concentration camp!" implying that 'concentration camp' = 'extermination camp'.

·
Registered
16,092 Posts
To put it a another way.......Baz.

Would you have been flying a Spitfire or an ME109?
I would like to mention in this context that some Norwegian sailors sailed for England during WW2, and some for Germany. The distribution of Norwegian sailors between the two sides had not completely to do with what port they were in when Norway was invaded (a few ships broke through their blockade in neutral harbours), nor completely to do with the fact that they both were forced to sail - to refuse was desertion. However, it certainly was the overriding influential factor. Of course, only one side joined in the victory parades, and got medals for doing things that they had not themselves decided to do.

I think it would be more gainful in the strive to eradicate war to find what could make people dare object to authorities’ demands, than who, after the authorities have exhausted the controlled will of their people, are most to blame for their obedience. I read an interview with a former SS man a few years ago. He claimed that work in the extermination camps were not a popular service, it was what you did in loyal sacrifice to serve the party, the coming generations of a racially cleansed Gerrmany, and the godlike leader. The opposite to this Abraham and Isaac obedience game must be a bit of pride and daring in standing up for oneself, I think.

·
Malim Sahib Moderator
8,603 Posts
Yup! Once again, making it up to suit your own agenda.
You missed:

What a joke! Who do you think you are?
Of course, clearly a virtue-signalling grief groupie.

Have you ever heard of, or read, a book called: "The scourge of the swastika"?
No? Then I'll tell you about it.
It was written by a senior Army officer, IIRC in the legal department, who was involved in the post WW2 investigations and trials and published about 1954.
I read it in my early teens. It is a truly shocking account of extermination camps by someone with no axe to grind.

p.s. Never let anyone point the finger at the Brits and say that we invented the type of concentration camps used by the NAZIs.
Ours were to keep Boers from feeding and supporting commandos, not for extermination.

I asked you a simple question, a question I think was warranted considering your post and others made in a similar vein elsewhere recently.
Rather than actually answer that question you went off on a deliberate tangent on a point which nobody had actually mentioned.
So, do you think the holocaust was faked?

·
Registered
23,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In her autobiography.... Victoria Drummond wrote of her astonishment to find, when joining a ship during WW2 on the South Coast of England.... some of the engineering crew to be "ethnic" German.
An interesting matter of record.... Little to do with the subject of this thread, admittedly.

·
Registered
7,483 Posts
A book called 'The password is Courage' written by John Castle in 1954.
It is the wartime biography of Sergeant Major Charles Joseph Coward who was a PoW from 1940 to 1945. He was passable in German language and became a Red Cross rep.
In December 1943 he was sent to Monowitz where he saw first hand the conditions in Auschwitz which he was able to communicate back to Britain by coded (Red Cross) messages. He claimed to have even entered the camp and also to have assisted many Jewish prisoners to escape by using substitute bodies.
He gave evidence at Nuremberg and at a civil case brought against I G Farben . He was named by Israel as 'Righteous Among the Nations' and posthumously by the British Government as a 'British Hero of the Holocaust'.
There are some later historians who doubt the extent of his claims but accept something occurred.

A film was made in 1962 'based' on the book. It was advertised as a comedy! Reference to Monowitz was limited to a brief mention. Even this mention was deleted in the subsequent version for BBC television.

There are not just active Holocaust Deniers, there are also passive Deniers, including the BBC, or so it seems.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
I asked you a simple question, a question I think was warranted considering your post and others made in a similar vein elsewhere recently.
Rather than actually answer that question you went off on a deliberate tangent on a point which nobody had actually mentioned.
So, do you think the holocaust was faked?
Your question does not deserve the courtesy of an answer.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Home on leave I often took my father in law to the pub c 1959. He was RNVR ( an engineer, ex Manchester Liners). He had been one of the earliest visitors to the liberated Belsen. He told of the walking skeletons and the wondering eyes of a woman who crawled to him to finger the hem of his naval coat.

·
Registered
23,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
"Your question does not deserve the courtesy of an answer"

That may be so, Baz.

But the thread was headed by a simple question......."did anyone watch it?
If you didn't see the programme..... why did you attack David Baddeil, accusing him of opportunism for personal gain?
The content of his narrative is obviously unknown to you, so why the cynical comments?

I would take issue that Baddeil.... " Trot out person no-one is going to believe anyway"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47015184

Many do belive that denier... As Eisenhower predicted.

·
Registered
7,483 Posts
In answer to your question at #1 :
No, Sparkie, I didn't but I will probably watch it on iPlayer sometime.

Developing on the general topic though and further to my post at #1 4, it appears to me that while Holocaust Denial is apparently increasing there was a period, roughly 60s to 80s of Holocaust apathy.
Then, 1993, we were given Schindler's List - A film about Oskar Schindler, another 'Righteous Among the Nations'. This was 50 years after the events and 25 years after the man died.
Suddenly it became OK to talk about the gruesome details again.
I think that in those 'quiet' years is when the Deniers started to breed their ideas, because no-one was arguing and, as I said, even the BBC was happy to cut parts out that might cause upset.

History will always have, later revelations, revisions, post revisions, and later still, looking at fully recorded history and viewing it with modern eyes.

The holocaust does not need revision, just accepting the record. There will always be those that think otherwise, just note what they say and tell them to go away warning others that they are abroad.
From what I read that is roughly what David Baddiel has done..

·
Premium Member
11,597 Posts
I don't think people will forget the holocaust, but there is a danger that people will think, 'Nah... that would never happen today.' It is close to it again.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts