Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If a horse is harnessed to a cart, the collar is around its neck. Ropes are taken from the collar and fastened to the shafts of the cart. The shafts are then slung from the harness on the back of the horse. ( Hope I've made this clear ! )
When the horse moves forward, is it pushing against the collar, or pulling the cart?

fred

" horses for courses "

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
fredkinghorn said:
If a horse is harnessed to a cart, the collar is around its neck. Ropes are taken from the collar and fastened to the shafts of the cart. The shafts are then slung from the harness on the back of the horse. ( Hope I've made this clear ! )
When the horse moves forward, is it pushing against the collar, or pulling the cart?

fred

" horses for courses "
Fred,
I think that the horse is pushing the collar which in turn pulls the cart via the ropes, I am an expert on horses & can confirm that they usually have a leg on each corner (except the ones that my son gives me tips for.) LOL (Thumb)

·
Registered
570 Posts
If an Orange is Orange in colour, then why isn't a Lemon called a Yellow??
And why do they call Shutters, Shutters? When they can be opened as well?

·
Registered
161 Posts
The horse uses it's own weight in pushing against the collar to get the cart started, once moving it pulls against the chains and shafts to maintain movement.
I remember watching them do this in Liverpool docks in the mid 1950's

Bill

·
Registered
17 Posts
As Einstein said Fred - It's all relative (ity).

Which reminds me I still remember our milkman's horse farting when I was a kid. I was truly impressed by the duration, pitch and timbre of the sound - must have been to remember it after all this time. (EEK)

Brian

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oglebilluk,. I think you have supplied the best answer. I have never really had one that I could relate to, but yours seems to be the best of the lot.

fred.

" a gentleman takes the weight on his elbows and knees "

·
Registered
17 Posts
That's a load of old farriers tools! [=P]

Pulling implies that you are moving something towards you. The horse is pushing the collar and everything else gets pulled by the collar.

I suppose you could argue that the horse would be pulling if the cart is going down the hill with no brakes on and he is trying to slow it down. But that is a rather weak answer as then he would be pulling the collar and the collar would be pulling everything else.

In any case that is a HORSE of a different colour as the cabbie in The Wizard of Oz would say.

Brian

"Hairs split while you wait"

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I always thought that the reason the collar is padded is so that the horse can more comfortably take the weight of the cart on its shoulders - or the horsey equivalent of shoulders.
It's a bit like the old argument, does the bilge pump suck the water up the pipe, or does the atmospheric pressure push it up? Depends where you went for your ticket.

Derek

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
STRAWBERRY said:
If an Orange is Orange in colour, then why isn't a Lemon called a Yellow??

That's simple - it was originaly called a Narange, (local word were they were grown) but this became corrupted to an orange probably because it was the same colour as the flag of Orange, the province.

And back on thread - A horse neither pulls nor pushes it 'Draws' the burden, hence the term draught animal.

·
Banned
21 Posts
Never seen a horse use a pencil, (LOL) never seen one drawing before!!!!

I wonder how many drawings it trots out a day ?

He He ' Trots out ' get it (LOL)

I know they drink ale though, the horses that pulled the drays round our way used to have a pint or two, seen that.

Chris.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
I'm still trying to work out where you put the carrot (*))

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You can take a horse to the water but a pencil must be lead!

fred

" the best way to stop a runaway horse is to put money on it"

1 - 17 of 17 Posts