Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 1028 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,864 Posts
Welcome to the site Norman,I am sure you will find someone here who sailed with them. Enjoy the site and the banter, we do.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Derek,
That sure rings a bell !! Can you ask him if he served on a Houlders tanker that was on charter to Shell Oil....I think it was called the Imperial Transport.
Kind regards
Ian

·
Registered
65 Posts
Ian Norman said:
Hi Derek,
That sure rings a bell !! Can you ask him if he served on a Houlders tanker that was on charter to Shell Oil....I think it was called the Imperial Transport.
Kind regards
Ian
Have just posted a jpeg of the Imperial Transport.Sailed in her Feb to May 1960.
John Edward Tomlinson (Hull)

·
Banned
48 Posts
Ian,

I served with Houlders from 1965 to 1976 when I left the sea-staff and joined their chartering department (still at 52 Leadenhall Street). Looking at your various posts it seems we have been on the same ships, but at different times.

Kind regards

·
Registered
8 Posts
Houlders officers

Hi All
I sailed on various ships, last being 3rd mate on the CLYDESDALE on her 2nd or 3rd trip. Can't remember any names but believe the old man was the one who later went with the Royston Grange.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Would appreciate any photos of the WESTBURY which I was on from dec 66 to Jan 68. The mate was called Derek and came from Fleetwood.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Hi Ian
I sailed in Houlders on the Rippingham Grange, great trip ( 1959-60) also one trip on Mable Warwick she was a bad sea ship, but we got there and back, cheers Bill atkins

·
Banned
48 Posts
Hello Bill, you were probably ahead of me, as I see it was 1970 when I was on "Mabel Warwick" - maybe I was lucky, but I don't remember being any more seasick on her than the "Oregis".

·
Registered
278 Posts
Did they once have a tanker called Clutha River I remember while in Curacao a couple of seamen who had missed their ship came on board the Panamanian ship I was on looking for a berth

·
Banned
48 Posts
Jan, they did indeed have a tanker called “Clutha River” – I can recall two stories that give an insight into her unique character: (a) she had a cracked stern-shaft at one stage which meant that she could not be run astern without the risk of the entire shaft and propeller taking off on its own…. and (b) during a transit of the Panama Canal she developed a small leak from one of the rivets in the shell plating, so the mate decided action was required in the form of a bosun’s chair, and someone in it with a large hammer to “flatten the rivet and make it oil tight again”. A goodish plan except that the first blow landed on the rivet head and instead of making it into an oiltight mushroom, it drove the entire rivet at speed into the cargo tank, thereby making a small weeping leak into a large oily trickle. A sort of “boy and his finger in the dyke in reverse”. The Canal Authority was un-amused, but late at night they missed the offending ship which made good its escape leaving a trail behind her…

1 - 20 of 1028 Posts