Ships Nostalgia banner
121 - 126 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
I was there as well

I was an apprentice on the Clerk Maxwell, during and after building. Then as Third and Second Mate on the Avogadro, Joule and Humboldt. Such good times, such a good employer.
I was R/O on HUMBOLDT/GYFR with you on her maiden voyage from La Ciotat.
Captain Woolcott then Capt Edmondson, Mate Jack Leask, 2nd mate Dave Gazzard then Mawer, Apprentices Tony Smith and Stew Third. I was devastated to learn of his death in the River Plate disaster.
C/E Mitchell then Rowlands.
That 8 month trip was one of my happiest times at sea - superb colleagues all of you.
I was annoyed to be relieved just before Christmas '68 and flown home from Bs As.
Capt Edmundson and C/E Rowlands got me horrendously drunk a couple of nights before I left.
We were playing Scrabble and they were topping up my Coke can with Bacardi while I was not looking!
Please get in touch via PM/Conversation.

Bruce Morris

·
Registered
8 Posts
Gas Tanker Skipper extraordinaire

Anybody remember Captain Tom Woolcot, I think he just about wrote the book on gas tanker ops. He was also famous for his parties, he would shout down the alleyway "BANZAI" and everyone knew there was a party in the offing. We were joining the Cavendish in Japan(Chita) Jan. 74. Capt. Parkin had given him a cine camera to make a movie of the life of the cadets on board a ship to be shown in schools as a recruitment drive. At one of his parties he got legless and we stripped him naked and dumped him in a locker videoing at the same time. I would have liked to have been a fly on the wall when the office staff played that
particular movie back. He also knew every dirty sea shanty ever wrote. A great character.
Leo
Leo I had Tom as Master on the Humbolt. He managed to fall asleep in a chair in the Officers Mess with a lit pipe in his pocket!

Another rumour that did the rounds that trip was that a steward put half a crown in his shower rose before we left Rouen and when we got back to Rouen from Riga the half crown was still in place !!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Good evening Mark.
I'm sure that must have been a painful occasion for you and all who attended Jerry's farewell. It's never easy to say farewell to friends and colleagues, and my thoughts, as yours, are with Jerry's widow and family.
On a lighter note, Dave Gazzard's name rings a bell. I'm sure I sailed with him somewhere on a Gas Tanker.
Regards
Leo
Leo, Dave Gazzard was 2nd mate on the Cavendish in 1972. He had his wife "Deep Sea Lou" with him.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello. I wonder if you may be interested in these photos of the Joule. My father, Peter Holloway was, I think, the first Master of the Joule back in the '60's for Holder Brothers. From this thread, I understand this was the original Joule, (a pressure ship) was in the Houlders fleet from 1964 to 1970. I think it was one of the first LPG ships of its time. I'd love to know more about it, and where it went.

Attachments

·
Registered
Houlder Bros cargo ships,tankers and offshore.
134 Posts
Yes late 1960's Houlders managed /owned "Avogadro" "Joule" "Humboldt and "Clerk Maxwell" in j/v with GazOcean Paris. All ships were named after famous scientists ie "Gay Lussac" "Cavendish" etc.

121 - 126 of 126 Posts