Ships Nostalgia banner

181 - 198 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sailed on Sagamore between September 1971 and Feb 72. Joined her as a first trip deck Cadet in Newport and went up to Murmansk. Then Monrovia, Nouadhibou and Seven Isles. The Old man was Capt Coyle for most of the time, and the Mate was Kevin Campbell. I ran into Capt Coyle again when he joined the Orotava Bridge in Hamburg, late 72, I think.

·
Registered
1 Posts
MV Orepton

I am seeking information on one of Houlders ore carriers, the MV Orepton. This was my first trip to sea. I joined her in Workington, in April 1964, and payed-off in Irlam seven months later.

If anyone has some pictures of her, that I can use, they would be really appreciated. I am also seeking information on her particulars, and on her history after she left the Houlder fold. Finally, am I correct in assuming the Master at the time was a Captain Bully?

Many thanks.

Nova Scotian
Hi my first ship was the Orepton, I was junior sparks, we went from Workington to Seven Islands in Canada, I was seasick the whole trip, we then did a trip to Narvik back to Port Talbot and then to Murmansk where the ship caught fire and sadly the Chief Officer lost his life, he was from Mumbles South Wales, he was a great guy and this is my first mention of a very sad start to my MN career.

·
Registered
27 Posts
MV oremina

I joined the Oremina at rothesay dock in Glasgow on feb 1967.
First trip Catering boy.The ships Cook was called Owen.?from Glasgow
we sailed to narvik,port Talbot.Almeria and Vitoria and Irlam.
I was seasick on that first trip to Narvik,i vowed to leave as soon as we arrived back in uk.Ended up doing eighteen and a half years at sea.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
How nice to see all 'my' old ship names above....I first met up with them as an Agency Clerk in BISC(Ore) Middlesbrough office from 1960 to 1964, I then moved to London HQ and as Asst.Distribution Manager had the job of looking after the voyage allocation of all the Port Talbot sized vessels,including the Houlders fleet. Thereafter,took over the remaining,then BSC, vessels,all 72, till moving back into agency on Humberside.

Capt.Boothby mentioned above, was it George?...also remember well Walter Backhouse who lived on the moors near Whitby I think, Capt.Oddy, and a Northern Irishman Capt Barclay?

geoff

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Iron ore boats

Oregis, Orelia, Oremina, Orepton, Oreridian & Oreosa. Sailed on four of these, b-----s in bad weather rolled like hell especially with a belly of Iron ore.
Did a few trips on the ORELIA way back in the fifties.Port Talbot,
Bone,Irlam and Narvick.
Dave Williams

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Parkin: Pike: Owen; Slevin & others that have slipped my mind. One I have in my mind - can see him now. He went on later to the Avogadro, Joule etc.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Remembered him - Glover. Also there were Capts. Hector,Oddie and Whitely. I believe Craven also did a spell on the ore boats.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ahh.... Workington (also Barrow via Oremina and Oregis) in 1959-61 ... I still have a 'borrowed' tea spoon from Bruciannis coffee bar - anyone remember that? I wonder what happened to Margaret Roberts whom I last saw in a Brighton coffee bar ....

·
Registered
44 Posts
MV Orelia - Captain Bulley

Dear Robin J, had cause to double check dad - P. J. Kelly - R/O, had got the Captain's name correct and not just describing his personality - as he could on occasion! I can confirm that our Phil has him down spelt as Captain Bulley (with an 'e') and presume as an R/O would have got it correct. Found the query in BA204259'S comments of 1 January 2007 timed at 11:53. - but thought better late than never to confirm! Cheers. H(Applause)

·
Registered
409 Posts
A.J.Bully

Dear Robin J, had cause to double check dad - P. J. Kelly - R/O, had got the Captain's name correct and not just describing his personality - as he could on occasion! I can confirm that our Phil has him down spelt as Captain Bulley (with an 'e') and presume as an R/O would have got it correct. Found the query in BA204259'S comments of 1 January 2007 timed at 11:53. - but thought better late than never to confirm! Cheers. H(Applause)
You are correct. Joined the Orepton as Nav App under Capt Allan J. Bulley. Shared a taxi with him and the 4th Engineer to the shipping office in Workington. It was a quiet ride. I ventured a comment about the upcoming trip and it was met with a glare and no response. Later, the engineer advised me that the Old Man "doesn't talk to apprentices".

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Thought I knew all the Ore Carriers Masters,but never encountered Capt.Bully,all the other names mentioned in previous,old,postings I had met.

geoff

·
Registered
2 Posts
I sailed with his son George? I think on the Tenbury in 66-67. We were on time charters to Japanese shipping lines

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello. I sailed on the Oregis & Oremina. I saw the Oregis later as a support ship near North Shields.
dave Menzies.
Thanks Dave : Nice to hear about your sailing on both Oregis and Oremina. These two were my first and last ships as apprentice (Oremina first) - Houlders were great to work for, but soon after 2nd. Mate I defected to Saguenay Shipping. You and I also 'sailed' together in HMS 'W' 56-59!
David R

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks Dave : Nice to hear about your sailing on both Oregis and Oremina. These two were my first and last ships as apprentice (Oremina first) - Houlders were great to work for, but soon after 2nd. Mate I defected to Saguenay Shipping. You and I also 'sailed' together in HMS 'W' 56-59!
David R
Hi, Reading all 10 pages of Houlder Ore thread did bring back a lot of memories....most of them GOOD memories. I sailed on Oremina [Aug to Nov.1973] and Master was Capt. R. Stephen [ from Yorkshire] followed by Sagamore [Jan to Feb 1975] under Capt. S. Rutherford. We sold her and the Cat to an Italian at Santander. Ten days later I joined Mable Warwick in BkHead under command of Capt. Germmain.
Iron ore was the cargo on most trips and Workington was our main port of call. Best wishes to all of you...I'm off to see the Doctor...time for Pfizer 2nd injection.

181 - 198 of 198 Posts