Ships Nostalgia banner
21 - 40 of 200 Posts

· Registered
116 Posts
Robinj said:
Was it the Commercial Hotel near the station in Workington I know the beer was Robert Peel, and as we got on well with the barmaid we pretended to be residents and got a lock in.

Afraid the Commercial is just a derelict building at the moment. Did you never use the Coastguard or the Steam Packet? they were the closest two pubs to the dock, the former was open 24/7, but unfortunatly was closed down a few years ago when a brawl occurred between two Scandiwegian crews. The barmaid tried to control things by brandishing a gun, which someone had given her years earlier and she had believed was a replica ('onest yer honer) the gun when off, blowing a neat hole in the ceiling and upsetting the local constabulary. With the result that the barmaid got a job serving porridge for a wee while and the pub was closed down and is now a private house. Shame!!
The Steam Packet is still going strong, but has been renamed by the locals as the *** Packet due to the clientels preference for "uphill gardening"

John Peel for the beer, Robert was the guy that started the aforemention constabulary.

The ore days at Workington are finished, the steel works are being shut down, the coal trade has finished completely as well, virtually the only seaborne traffic now is tankers. The local council are at present considering closing the docks and turning the place into yet another marina.
Such is life!!

Cheers Razor

· Registered
2,859 Posts
Roddy.me again,

How could you miss Kirkeness. Don't you remember our 4th trip on the Crinan ?.
Still got photos of you with the whole crowd on the poop , in fact have lots of
them - on our very first ship.

The "sadistic" instructor.......... I got to know quite well afterwards. Maybe he
mellowed with age !!!!!.

Cass

· Registered
3,518 Posts
When I was on the M/S Arabella one of her regular loading ports was Nouadhibu in Mauritania West Africa. If you wanted a drink there you had to travel in to the next country Spanish Sahara, I think it was about 20-30 minutes by car.

Frank

· Registered
16,126 Posts
Frank P said:
When I was on the M/S Arabella one of her regular loading ports was Nouadhibu in Mauritania West Africa. If you wanted a drink there you had to travel in to the next country Spanish Sahara, I think it was about 20-30 minutes by car.

Frank
Most people don't realize that the word "pisspot" is actually derived from the word "passport".

For ore carrier afficionados with fond memories of Monrovia and Lower Buchanan: today, 16th December in 1821, Lt Robert Stockton and Dr Eli Ayers, a naval surgeon and member of the American Colonizing Society, induced a local African king to sell territory for a colony which later became the Republic of Liberia.

Coincidentally, on the same day 48 years prior to that event, the Boston Tea Party took place - American anti-colonialists chucked 300 chests of tea overboard from a British ship in Boston.

Information from "www.seawaves.com" - free "This Day in History" - check it out and keep up with the nautical past.

Sadly, particularly for any of our descendents who live there, Liberia has been a bit of a disaster area for quite a few years now. Bring back President Tubman - I've probably still got a tee shirt with his picture on.

John T.

· Banned
9,120 Posts
Bob, there is more than an equal chance that I was on OREGIS at that time, as I joined her in Workington towards the end of 1966 and remember being in Irlam quite soon after joining her and several times after that. Oh the joy or taking 4 hours to sail up to Manchester just to turn the ship round and then pass the berth we had vacated earlier, but now heading the opposite direction some 8 hours later.

· Registered
508 Posts
Ore Carriers

This brings back memories: I was 'sent' to Falmouth...to join the Stancloud...when I got there I was met at the station...2 blokes said, "You for the Stancloud?" Yep..."Would you prefer to join the Pennyworth...going to Vittoria? Would I??!! I met up with the Stancloud 18 months later...in Bandar Mashur...still the same crowd...they came onto a BP...looking for a decent feed!! 'nuff said? Vix

· Registered
22 Posts
Hi Tonga. The Oregis was my first ship.Irlam to Narvik with Pete Benney as Chief R/O.Got a picture of him somewhere.Joined on 28.12.66 and paid off 31.3.67.I remember it was a good trip with a good introduction/training from Pete.I believe you are on Anglesey - so am I (in Llanfairpwllgwyn-etc)Call in to Topaz.Regards.Bob

· Banned
9,120 Posts
Bob Davies said:
Hi Tonga. The Oregis was my first ship.Irlam to Narvik with Pete Benney as Chief R/O.Got a picture of him somewhere.Joined on 28.12.66 and paid off 31.3.67.I remember it was a good trip with a good introduction/training from Pete.I believe you are on Anglesey - so am I (in Llanfairpwllgwyn-etc)Call in to Topaz.Regards.Bob
Hello Bob,

As I did a voyage from Irlam to Narvik in January 1967 it seems very likely we were on board together, The Master was Captain Oddy I think?

I'm not sure why you come to the conclusion that I'm on Angelsey? Whilst Islands are definitely my forte, they tend to be Tongan rather than British.

Kind regards
Tonga

· Registered
55 Posts
Hi to all ex Houlder Ore Carrier personnel.I sailed in all six ore carriers as well as
Mabel Warwick. First as Apprentice in Oregis in1956 under Capt Denis Parkin (later
Personnel Supt) and finally 1st Mate in Mabel Warwick in `68. Served all my career with Houlders including 5 years in the North Sea. Oregis was converted to a Diving Support Vessel in 74 and renamed Coupler 1, reverting back to Oregis in 76.She carried a full saturation diving team and had a Saturation chamber, Diving Bell and Wet Bell on board.Ship`s personnel were renamed Barge Master, Ass1t Bargemasters,
Roughnecks and Roustabouts as per Oil Rig rating. I was forced to retire on health grounds in 78 so no doubt Oregis is long gone.Incidentally Mabel Warwick had a sister ship Joya McCance.
Regards
Norsea

21 - 40 of 200 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.