Ships Nostalgia banner
41 - 60 of 200 Posts

· Registered
308 Posts
Trouble with pepel was that you needed to move ship to load another hold. Not much to do at a conveyorbelt sticking out of the jungle, only thing to do at Pepel was flame throw the insects.

Another exciting port was Wabana where you tied up on an exposed berth under a cliff and the ore came by conveyor belt from the mine to the top of the cliff.

Best place was Vitiria where it was just a rowboat into town.

· Banned
9,120 Posts
Baltic Wal said:
Another exciting port was Wabana where you tied up on an exposed berth under a cliff and the ore came by conveyor belt from the mine to the top of the cliff.
Was that were the man with a large hammer took a swipe at the bigger lumps as the passed along the conveyor belt, in order to smash them and thereby avoid the huge drop on to the tank top with a 15kilo ore lump?

· Registered
151 Posts
Common Brothers ore carriers

Vallum Shipping Co. (Common Bros, BISCO, Jardine & Mathieson)

"Iron Age"
"Iron Ore"
"Iron Barque"
"Iron Horse"
"Iron Crown"

Hindustan Steam Shipping Co.
"Afghanistan"
"Daghestan"

"Iron Horse" happiest ship I've ever been in (2nd Mate 1963-4)

O.M. the redoubtable "T2" Taylor, a pint sized holy terror.
Purser/Ch.Stwd Bill Allaway
2/E Albert Le Blond- later a formidable Tyne and Wearside entrepreneur.

"Horse" and "Age" had Chinese crew, remainder were Brits.
Fovourite discharge ports for partying, Birkenhead (Bidston Dock)
Middlesbrough (Cargo Fleet)

· Registered
24 Posts
Tonga said:
Hello Bob,

As I did a voyage from Irlam to Narvik in January 1967 it seems very likely we were on board together, The Master was Captain Oddy I think?

I'm not sure why you come to the conclusion that I'm on Angelsey? Whilst Islands are definitely my forte, they tend to be Tongan rather than British.

Kind regards
Tonga
HI Tonga,

I have just joined the forum and enjoyinfg all the comments about the 'ore' boats, what pigs they were...! My first trip to see was in the OREMINA, Houlder Brothers, and it was nearly my last! Up to Narvik in ballast from Dagenham into the teeth of the big hurricane of 1970, anyone remember that? I can take a joke as well as the next man but that trip as an introduction was pushing it a bit. I note you sailed with Captain Oddy, I met him on the 'Mabel Warwick', or was it the 'OROTAVA', I am just away to dig out my discharge books to check. But for now I like the forum, I look forward to some good yarns.

regards
Derek

· Registered
24 Posts
Seeking pictures of 'bulkies'

Hi everyone,

I am trying to build a journal of my days on the ore ships of Houlder Brothers. Found a couple of nice pictures already on this excellent forum, but would like to know if anyone has any more they would like to share. I lost all my own shots years ago and have nothing to show my kids. Maybe, there are some salty dogs out there who knew me and took some piccies. I'd especially like to hear from them. To help focus in, here is a brief list of my trips...

OREMINA - 10/71 till early 72 - Houlder Brothers (my first trip Dagenham/Narvik, paid off in Falmouth)

Mabel Warwick - Aug 72 till Jan 73 - Capt Oddy.

OROTAVA - Nov 74 till Jan 75 - Capt Lewis

Sir Alexander Glen (bare boat charter OBO) - Sep 75 till Feb 76 - Capt Leach

Any piccies at all would be a great help. Hope to chat soon.

DerekC
(Thumb)

· Registered
310 Posts
Workington

Razor,

You forgot to mention the Ancient Mariner better known as the "Honky TonK" in your list of Workington night life, now burnt down.

A traffic into the docks now is Gypsum from Italy. Which is then transported to Britsh Plaster Board works at Kirby Thore.

· Banned
2,190 Posts
DerekC said:
Hi everyone,

I am trying to build a journal of my days on the ore ships of Houlder Brothers. Found a couple of nice pictures already on this excellent forum, but would like to know if anyone has any more they would like to share. I lost all my own shots years ago and have nothing to show my kids. Maybe, there are some salty dogs out there who knew me and took some piccies. I'd especially like to hear from them. To help focus in, here is a brief list of my trips...

OREMINA - 10/71 till early 72 - Houlder Brothers (my first trip Dagenham/Narvik, paid off in Falmouth)

Mabel Warwick - Aug 72 till Jan 73 - Capt Oddy.

OROTAVA - Nov 74 till Jan 75 - Capt Lewis

Sir Alexander Glen (bare boat charter OBO) - Sep 75 till Feb 76 - Capt Leach

Any piccies at all would be a great help. Hope to chat soon.

DerekC
(Thumb)
Ahoy Derek,
Found your Sir Alexander Glen in the "old shoebox" piccie must be taken in the mid/end '70's early '80's in the Rotterdam area, possible the Nieuwe Waterweg[New Waterway].

Attachments

· Registered
251 Posts
MV Orepton

I am seeking information on one of Houlders ore carriers, the MV Orepton. This was my first trip to sea. I joined her in Workington, in April 1964, and payed-off in Irlam seven months later.

If anyone has some pictures of her, that I can use, they would be really appreciated. I am also seeking information on her particulars, and on her history after she left the Houlder fold. Finally, am I correct in assuming the Master at the time was a Captain Bully?

Many thanks.

Nova Scotian

· Premium Member
563 Posts
Nova Scotian

if you visit www.photoship.co.uk, enter the gallery, you will find numerous files -- enter those for the letter "O" and there is a pic of Orepton in there.

· Registered
453 Posts
My first trip to sea as 'Lecky was on Afghanistan (Chinese crew) Feb. 1962. Spent 4 months rocking and rolling back and forth to Sept. Isle with one trip to Monrovia! Then joined Iron crown(European crew) June 1962 until Feb, 1963. Better runs Vittoria etc. but still rolled all over the shop, even when tied up.

· Banned
9,120 Posts
Nova Scotian,

Captain Oddy was a very decent chap. He was Master of the Oregis when I was on her in 1966-67 - the other name you mention does not ring any bells at this stage, it is quite a curious name to have as a Ship's Master.

I was very lucky to sail with the latter; that way I was able to appreciate Captain Oddy's gentlemanly behaviour as well as his ability as a seaman.

Kind regards
Tonga

41 - 60 of 200 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.