Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How fast can a side winder fishing trawler go? What's the maximum speed and the average speed? An example boat I need to know about would be the Ross Tiger if that helps, or any of the Cat Boats from Grimsby.

·
Registered
18,696 Posts
How fast can a side winder fishing trawler go? What's the maximum speed and the average speed? An example boat I need to know about would be the Ross Tiger if that helps, or any of the Cat Boats from Grimsby.
I'm no expert, but I reckon Ross Tiger did about 11 or 12 knots, some of the bigger ones were faster.

Fun fact about the "Cat Boats": A lot of folk reckon that Ross Zebra was the only one that wasn't named after a cat - they were all supposed to be named by school kids and one of them came up with Zebra so they let it go. I'm here to tell you that a "Civet" isn't a blooming cat either, it's just dumb coffee-holics who call it a cat.

That's the way the cod-ends.

John T

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
if you know the launch name, and builder, find out the speed from the trials data. Cook welton and gamon, and other builders on the Humber/ Just a suggestion, they could make market from Iceland very quickly as they were wet fishers the sider winders, in the 60/70;s SAy 15 Knots???

1 - 4 of 4 Posts