Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I served my apprenticeship with the Sunderland Forge and Eng. Co. (Glasgow branch) and we did ships electrical installations in various UK locations. The new vessels in build I worked on were Makrana, Mawana, Mangla and Mathura. We also carried out repairs etc. on many ships in service and I seem to remember the Malabar being the oldest

Over the years I got to know numerous sea going staff and when my "time" was getting near I was working on the Manipur on a large contract, my second time on her. The senior electrician was Les Dow who I got to know very well and was offered the post of junior elect. sailing on her with Les, I declined as I wished to finish my time with SF and E. but joined Brocks soon after. I met Les a couple of times after in Colombo he was on Mahseer. Of course time went by and I have learnt that he died abroad and my question is can anyone on the site verify this in any way, he was well known and any info would be greatly appreciated.

His nephew John Hill was a chief engineer with the company and I sailed with him deep sea on Mahout in 68/69 very nice chap and sadly he passed away in 2012.

Thank you in doubtful anticipation!

Regards Don

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I served my apprenticeship with the Sunderland Forge and Eng. Co. (Glasgow branch) and we did ships electrical installations in various UK locations. The new vessels in build I worked on were Makrana, Mawana, Mangla and Mathura. We also carried out repairs etc. on many ships in service and I seem to remember the Malabar being the oldest

Over the years I got to know numerous sea going staff and when my "time" was getting near I was working on the Manipur on a large contract, my second time on her. The senior electrician was Les Dow who I got to know very well and was offered the post of junior elect. sailing on her with Les, I declined as I wished to finish my time with SF and E. but joined Brocks soon after. I met Les a couple of times after in Colombo he was on Mahseer. Of course time went by and I have learnt that he died abroad and my question is can anyone on the site verify this in any way, he was well known and any info would be greatly appreciated.

His nephew John Hill was a chief engineer with the company and I sailed with him deep sea on Mahout in 68/69 very nice chap and sadly he passed away in 2012.

Thank you in doubtful anticipation!

Regards Don
Les Dow was chief elec. on SS Manipur on the three trips I did on her, I was extra 4th; 4th; Jun. 3rd and dates from 28 Oct 1958 to 24 April 1960

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Columbo 1064

I think it may have been 1964 Don on my first trip on Matra. We met up with Mahseer in Colombo.
You're probably right Tony,I'm in my island paradise at the moment!
so my diaries are adrift somewhere. Strange how things come back to you but I was wondering if that was the evening five vessels were in Columbo so there were many present in the swimming club being a Saturday. However the highlight was a disagreement between a "burly" Scots master and a likewise burly Scots C/E who were ready for a set to but were restrained. Probably arguing over Rangers/Celtic.Sailed with both of them later but never mentioned the potential "bout". Really happy days.

·
Registered
870 Posts

Regards Don
[/QUOTE

Would this be John Hill who was Engineer Cadet on Makrana when I was Apprentice on her maiden voyage?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts