Ships Nostalgia banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
During the first part of the trip when I was 4th Eng on SS&A Cretic and looking after the bunkers the Chief would tell me what bunkers we would have used for the 24 hours. This didnt line up with what I was recording in the tanks.

I soon learned how to flog the log as it is said and soon had quite a few tons hidden away. If only he knew just how much there was.

·
Banned
2 Posts
With the help of my Japanese ChEng for twenty years I held more than 3 days reserve at full speed in HFO and seven days diesel for auxies and then there was always the "special" line (if we needed it and we were headed in the right direction).

·
Registered
52 Posts
1 or 2 days reserve, that would have ammounted to almost 500 tonnes, a bit over the top that. All I needed the hedge fund for was errors in tables and changes of trim. Easy to recover losses so 15 - 20 was ample reserve.

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
And then the Charterers started asking for Used and ROB bunkers to two decimal places, first day out of port the decimals were what the bunker slip said, the rest of the trip it was point zero zero, until we bunker again.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Becoming temporary chief after the death at sea of the chief engineer,I told the new chief when he arrived that we had 120 tons up our sleeve.He nearly had a fit ,I thought I was going to have another dead chief on my hands.Apparently he had been caught out when they had to knock back a 120 tons of cargo because they had too much fuel oil.Something we all know is anathema to a Shipowner.
Jim garnett

41 - 45 of 45 Posts